Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GE2020: Kildare North

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Why do people keep voting for Catherine Murphy, like does she do a representative amount of good for us or is it just that shes a nice person and doesn't do anything bad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Leader has its brief 'interviews' with the candidates up now. The Renua candidate is more than a little aggressive and also shows that he doesn't have a clue about the constituency (answer to last question)

Only him and the PBP candidate answered the question with an actual answer and only the PBP candidate got it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Why do people keep voting for Catherine Murphy, like does she do a representative amount of good for us or is it just that shes a nice person and doesn't do anything bad.

She preserved the Dail right to open discussion.
    She exposed the bizarre FG relationship with siteserv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

L1011 wrote: »
    The Leader has its brief 'interviews' with the candidates up now. The Renua candidate is more than a little aggressive and also shows that he doesn't have a clue about the constituency (answer to last question)

Only him and the PBP candidate answered the question with an actual answer and only the PBP candidate got it right!

I'm surprised that he didn't mention Renua's greatest policy innovation - bringing back the green Irish passport. Lucinda Creighton has a lot to answer for.

She preserved the Dail right to open discussion.
    She exposed the bizarre FG relationship with siteserv.

Looking at her question record on kildarestreet , theres little to do with kildare north in there. The siteserv thing was a non event, shes just in on the dennis o brien big bad bogeyman conspiracy set.

From waht I can seem to find she's done a fair bit in the past as an independent but since her switch to social democrats has done little bar tow the party line on their left agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Looking at her question record on kildarestreet , theres little to do with kildare north in there. The siteserv thing was a non event, shes just in on the dennis o brien big bad bogeyman conspiracy set.

From waht I can seem to find she's done a fair bit in the past as an independent but since her switch to social democrats has done little bar tow the party line on their left agenda.

I was wondering the same. She’s been very quiet lately. I get the feeling she’d be gone if she could get a councillor elected but I guess that’ll be next election.

She’ll still romp home. I think lawless will get in. Fg will get in also. Then I think it’s a few in the hunt for last spot.

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    I was wondering the same. She’s been very quiet lately. I get the feeling she’d be gone if she could get a councillor elected but I guess that’ll be next election.

She’ll still romp home. I think lawless will get in. Fg will get in also. Then I think it’s a few in the hunt for last spot.

Id agree with that prediction , It kind of seems like shes just resting on laurels and taking it easy till retirement. It certainly doesnt help her endorsing candidates like Nuala Killeen who were one trick ponies resting on the 8th amendment result.

Denis OBriens fortune is derived from a set of bizarre deals that have resulted in FG debt being paid off and Michael Lowry becoming the richest TD in the dail.

The siteserv thing wasn't a non event and even NEET autodidact should be able to see that obrien belongs nowhere near any government contract .

Denis OBriens fortune is derived from a set of bizarre deals that have resulted in FG debt being paid off and Michael Lowry becoming the richest TD in the dail.

The siteserv thing wasn't a non event and even NEET autodidact should be able to see that obrien belongs nowhere near any government contract .

this is tinfoil hat stuff, complete madness and has little to do with how much murphy is doing for her constituents.

this is tinfoil hat stuff, complete madness and has little to do with how much murphy is doing for her constituents.

Obriens connections with FG are hardly tinfoil hat stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Murphy probably will get in again,
    Lawless, I’d put money that he gets in again too. He’s very well known with commuters.
    A FG candidate will get a seat
    I don’t think the SF candidate is strong enough to benefit from this so called surge in SF support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

She's a national TD not a county councillor. That's her job.
    but since her switch to social democrats has done little bar tow the party line on their left agenda.

Who exactly do you thinks sets the party line?

I get the feeling she’d be gone if she could get a councillor elected but I guess that’ll be next election.

:confused:

You mean like Nuala Killeen, Chris Pender, Aidan Farrelly and Bill Clear? 3 of them are North Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Orion wrote: »
    :confused:

You mean like Nuala Killeen, Chris Pender, Aidan Farrelly and Bill Clear? 3 of them are North Kildare.

Just cause they’re councillors doesn’t mean they’ll get elected as Td’s. She’s probably going to work on getting one on the ticket next time around as might be to early this time and lose a seat.

That’s just my opinion

Just cause they’re councillors doesn’t mean they’ll get elected as Td’s. She’s probably going to work on getting one on the ticket next time around as might be to early this time and lose a seat.

That’s just my opinion

Ah you meant elected as TD. No. Catherine has no plans to retire right now.

Doesn't he live in Ballygoran View (an estate in Celbridge) rather than Ballygoran (the townland)?

Apparently he now lives in Raphael's Manor. Has done for a few months.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And he's using his constituency office address for his nomination. Not want people to know he's moved?

My understanding is that he drives into Dublin and claims the considerable TD mileage allowance whereas his party and constituency colleague (Lawless) gets the train and only claims the Leap card costs.

Appears Lawless is also Band 1 (>25Km and <60Km) and claims it. 25K a year. So this thing about claiming the Leap card only is wrong.

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/members/parliamentaryAllowances/psa/2020/2020-01-01_parliamentary-standard-allowance-payments-to-deputies-for-november-2019_en.pdf

Here's the bands. https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/members/salaries-and-allowances/parliamentary-standard-allowances/

Thanks Orion - I was misinformed.

I wonder if he's engaged in a programme of retroactively adjusting the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

not that there was any chance of me voting for Renua, but that just cements my view of them as having no clue about anything.

Amused by his "Introduce a points based immigration system, like Australia. Ireland is full. We don't need any more skilled or unskilled workers.". Why on earth would we introduce a costly system if we're not going to admit anyone and don't need anyone? And that's before getting to the realities of needing many types of skilled and unskilled workers, given that we're back to full employment....

• Advertisement

Is there less canvassing this year than even May?

Had Labour and FG (Durkan) only so far. Now, I'm not always in obviously and I don't have a postbox (only an An Post lockbox) so won't get canvassing cards from others. But still had the addition of FF and an Independent in May as far as I remember.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We don't need any more skilled or unskilled workers.".
    Would you stop with this bigoted nonsense - there are skills shortages in many areas!

Would you stop with this bigoted nonsense - there are skills shortages in many areas!

They're quoting the Renua candidate, and then disagreed with the statement - just to clarify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

But we're electing people to a national parliament, not to the county council. While Irish politics is too parochial, every constituency should be voting in the likes of Catherine Murphy, who do work in the national interest, in the national parliament.

If I need the street light fixed, I'll give my county councillor a shout, not my TD!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Rosahane

BaronVon wrote: »
    But we're electing people to a national parliament, not to the county council. While Irish politics is too parochial, every constituency should be voting in the likes of Catherine Murphy, who do work in the national interest, in the national parliament.

If I need the street light fixed, I'll give my county councillor a shout, not my TD!

Was canvassed a few nights ago by Murphy’s people. I asked would she be prepared to go into a coalition government if elected, the chap replied authoritatively “only with FF” I asked why and he said that FG’s record in government over the last eight years was “too bad”. When I pointed out that FF had actually wrecked the economy in the first place he appeared as if this was news to him. It probably was, as I’d say he was in his mid twenties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Is there less canvassing this year than even May?

Had Labour and FG (Durkan) only so far. Now, I'm not always in obviously and I don't have a postbox (only an An Post lockbox) so won't get canvassing cards from others. But still had the addition of FF and an Independent in May as far as I remember.

Living in Leixlip and I've yet to have anybody call. Not that I'm complaining mind you

Rosahane wrote: »
    Was canvassed a few nights ago by Murphy’s people. I asked would she be prepared to go into a coalition government if elected, the chap replied authoritatively “only with FF” I asked why and he said that FG’s record in government over the last eight years was “too bad”. When I pointed out that FF had actually wrecked the economy in the first place he appeared as if this was news to him. It probably was, as I’d say he was in his mid twenties.

I'm canvassing with Catherine and I can tell you that is not the message. SD will go into coalition but will not go in under any circumstances. IF SD are to help form a govt it must be a socially progressive govt and have a progressive programme for Govt. Whether that's with FF, FG or an amalgamation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

ShyMets wrote: »
    Living in Leixlip and I've yet to have anybody call. Not that I'm complaining mind you

I'm in Leixlip and I had a chat with some Green canvassers yesterday. I'm not sure if they were on a flyer drop rather than calling door to door, but I was working in the front garden so we ended up talking for a few minutes.

I saw Catherine Murphy out canvassing in Glendale weekend before last too.

I have a rake of questions written beside the front door for any callers, haven't had a chance to use them yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

buffalo wrote: »
    I'm in Leixlip and I had a chat with some Green canvassers yesterday. I'm not sure if they were on a flyer drop rather than calling door to door, but I was working in the front garden so we ended up talking for a few minutes.

I saw Catherine Murphy out canvassing in Glendale weekend before last too.

I have a rake of questions written beside the front door for any callers, haven't had a chance to use them yet though.

Actually I lie. Had a sorry we missed you leaflet from Frank O'Rourke. Not that I was shedding any tears having missed the opportunity to speak with him

• Advertisement

ShyMets wrote: »
    Actually I lie. Had a sorry we missed you leaflet from Frank O'Rourke. Not that I was shedding any tears having missed the opportunity to speak with him

Can you imagine asking O'Rourke any questions about national policy?

What sort of an answer could be give you?

Advertisement