Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

devlinio wrote: »
    I won't be buying for a few years, but at what income level would you be granted a wage to mortgage salary exemption.

There's a number of factors, but broadly you could get it on as low as 60k single income, and 100k if there are two of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Another data point - the Baltic Dry index had a massive drop in Jan.

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/baltic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Peter Muscular Quirk

soirish wrote: »

And how does this index traditionally track with Irish house prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

We went to this house
    https://www.daft.ie/12025710
    last summer Iisted at 450k. I think there was an offer of 470ish in. That seemed fair- there were a few features which were unredeemable like walking straight into the house from the front door, small yard but i noticed it was withdrawn from my Daft favourites and thought 'wow they really should have taken 470k'....
    It's now relisted at 520k.
    So optimism prevails!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

soirish wrote: »

While they index is a good measure of broad economic activity and trends- its subject to wild swings. In January, for example, there were 4 separate days when it swung by over 3.5%- and on a monthly basis- it always tends to fall in January. Its looking unhealthy- certainly- but you have to be careful that you actually understand the statistics that you're dealing with.

In an Irish context- we tend to follow certain elements of the Baltic index in arrears- and certain features we tend to be harbingers of (such as the agricultural sectoral portions). Some economic commentators look at the Irish CSO 6 monthly stats in dread- as a harbinger of what is coming in their national statistics...........

The main point I'd note in the Baltic stats- is the extreme volatility being displayed- everyone is on edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 esme95

Currently renting in Phibsborough through a notorious letting agent. Paying 1300 per month for a single bed box apartment with a kitchen, a bedroom and an ensuite. Only bills included are bins. When I moved in a month ago there was a room downstairs with three washing machines and three dryers; hasn't he gone and installed coin machines, where you pay a euro an hour to use each machine. On top of that, you only have about thirty seconds to put the washing into the machine before the money that you inserted becomes invalid and you have to put in more coins. Feel backed into a corner living here. Despise funding this type of greed, little choice though. Ireland 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

esme95 wrote: »
    Currently renting in Phibsborough through a notorious letting agent. Paying 1300 per month for a single bed box apartment with a kitchen, a bedroom and an ensuite. Only bills included are bins. When I moved in a month ago there was a room downstairs with three washing machines and three dryers; hasn't he gone and installed coin machines, where you pay a euro an hour to use each machine. On top of that, you only have about thirty seconds to put the washing into the machine before the money that you inserted becomes invalid and you have to put in more coins. Feel backed into a corner living here. Despise funding this type of greed, little choice though. Ireland 2019.

thats a serious whack of money for a small one bed. may be worth considering a studio... you will get more sqft space for less as you are not paying for room separation. i pay just under 900 a month for a studio in ranelagh... it was 650 only 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 esme95

thats a serious whack of money for a small one bed. may be worth considering a studio... you will get more sqft space for less as you are not paying for room separation. i pay just under 900 a month for a studio in ranelagh... it was 650 only 3 years ago.

Yeah I may do. Was an impulsive decision moving in, was living with the parents but was faced with a serious commute so was desperate to find a place asap. Only starting off my career and can't put anything into savings so may be time to reconsider. Thanks for the advice.

maxsmum wrote: »
    We went to this house
    last summer Iisted at 450k. I think there was an offer of 470ish in. That seemed fair- there were a few features which were unredeemable like walking straight into the house from the front door, small yard but i noticed it was withdrawn from my Daft favourites and thought 'wow they really should have taken 470k'....
    So optimism prevails!

Yea, I went to see it too, the offer was 475,000 when I was there & the owners had refused it!
    I thought they were crazy at the time, I'd say the estate agent has a hard time with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

We went to this house
    So optimism prevails!

Don’t think it’s fair to be posting people’s houses on here for discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

beaz2018 wrote: »

It's literally on Daft. If it's online, it's fair game.

There's a whole thread on after hours posting people's houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

We went to this house
    So optimism prevails!

You'd wonder if they were waiting/hoping for exceptions to kick in in January. That's an enormous price increase though, 450k initially to 520k. Hard to see how that is going to be achieved. If someone was willing to pay the higher price it would have sold for the higher price last surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

What would people say is the best month to buy? As in, people talk about exceptions kicking in, in January. Would that mean that people in January and February have more purchasing power and December have the least?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Would that mean that people in January and February have more purchasing power and December have the least?

You could more or less say that, so if you see something you like coming onto the market from September onwards it’s probably a good time to bid in terms of having less competition. Having said that the caveat is that the market gets more quiet at that time of the year so you will have less options.

If i had to pinpoint am “best time of the year” to view places and bid, I’d say August-November as exceptions start drying up, people who wanted to buy before kids are back to school are gone, and you still have some choice. From November onward the issue you will have is that almost nothing new will be added to the market.

But then again it doesn’t mean you should ignore other times as your dream place might not show up on the market in March!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Rex Disgusting Tariff

The thing about exemptions is that agents and owners are well aware of them, so if the market is quiet in Nov / Dec they know that if they hang on until January that there's a better chance of getting a higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Personal opinion mirrors a lot what said here & media lately about Dublin. The new homes market is holding up & range 300-450k will continue to sell well. Above this up to 600k new homes will be higher income earners obviously but there's still numbers who can manage this. Dublin is paying high wages for boom industries. Above this price is people with wealth.

Used homes are under pressure because honestly most of them need minimum 50k put into them, most need the guts 100k and all the grief that comes with this (builders, time, etc)

FWIW I bought a few years ago in Dublin. I haven't made a big capital gain as I've put money into house that isn't going to be considered if was to sell. Each euro on modernization probably only adding 50% cost to resale value!

So for Dublin I see new homes static with prices, good quality/refurbished homes continue well, the rest of the used homes market weaker this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

devlinio wrote: »
    It's literally on Daft. If it's online, it's fair game.

There is no one discussing it on daft. Do you see the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

We went to this house
    So optimism prevails!
    I viewed it with a friend as well. We were more put off by the middle bedroom being like a jail cell due to the absence of any windows. Serious amount of work to fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

There are lots of sites that discuss property's for sale. The house, its details and pictures were placed into the public domain at the permission of the owner.

• Advertisement

Strange way of looking at it: if you think it shouldn’t be discussed her because it’s not being discussed on daft, the exact same reasoning means you can’t post/discuss a link here to any webpage or newspaper article which doesn’t itself allow for discussion on the source link. Would kill half the activity on boards.

The key point that was made is that it is publicly available information and thus there is no problem discusssing it - and that makes more sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Sorry if I broke a rule by posting the link. TBH I think it's a perfect example of what everyone here is debating - what will the market be like in 2019 vs 2018? - here's a property that has gone up by 70k in asking from end 2018 to start of 2019. It will be interesting to see if they get it.
    Also there is for sure a Daft thread here somewhere that makes fun of dodgy apartments for rent. I'm not making fun of anyone, and I do think it's a legitimate example of what the thread is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Sorry if I broke a rule by posting the link. TBH I think it's a perfect example of what everyone here is debating - what will the market be like in 2019 vs 2018? - here's a property that has gone up by 70k in asking from end 2018 to start of 2019. It will be interesting to see if they get it.
    Also there is for sure a Daft thread here somewhere that makes fun of dodgy apartments for rent. I'm not making fun of anyone, and I do think it's a legitimate example of what the thread is about.

Maybe someone bought it at the old price and is not trying to flip it?

May not be the same owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Only one person thinks its an issue, which it clearly isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I'm really hoping Brexit is the shock to the system that the property market needs to start the downwards spiral.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

Sheeps wrote: »
    I'm really hoping Brexit is the shock to the system that the property market needs to start the downwards spiral.
    be careful what you wish for...

flintash wrote: »
    be careful what you wish for...

Indeed ... the only way Brexit could cause our property market to crash would be by crashing our economy as a whole. Maybe a good thing for foreign vulture funds, but not for many Irish people (aside maybe for someone who has a good cash reserve, a protected job, and is a bit selfish).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Was waiting...will wait....keep accumulating cash meanwhile..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Peter Muscular Quirk

Waiting for what precisely? The 50% drop in prices was a complete anomaly and will not happen again. Sitting on the sidelines and wishing for a massive crash is a pretty dick move to be honest. Your essentially hoping for financial ruin of the country and thousands of households so you personally can profit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Rex Disgusting Tariff

Enjoy paying that rent

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement