Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Jesus

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Glenster wrote: »
    Say if someone thought they might be Jesus.

Has performed a few feats (miracles if you will) in the past, Looks great in robes and sandals, Has spoken to the deity that is their biological father, all that sort of stuff.

How would they know if they are new Jesus or are just mad?

There would be a whole lot of egg on their face if they announced it and then suddenly it became apparent that they were just delusional.

I'm asking for a friend.

Do strappy stilletto platfom sandals count along with a dress rather than a robe? And does yelling to a deity instead of talking count?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

johnty56 wrote: »
    Wouldn't most of these replies, whilst indeed funny, be technically prosecutable offences under our blasphemy laws?

Good Lord no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

tonygun wrote: »
    No he's not. He's a man who has been dead 2000 years

But he'll save you.

From what his father will do to you if you don't let him save you, funnily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,128 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

topper75 wrote: »
    But he'll save you.

From what his father will do to you if you don't let him save you, funnily enough.

and given the nature of the trinity he will basically save you from himself. Christianity is a funny ol' thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Were they not sandals?

Nike Air Moses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

I'm not. But I am consciously choosing to believe.

The Bible. Read it, THEN comment. Makes me laugh when people spout sh1te like experts when they havent been at Mass in years and never even read the Gospels.

Its in the Bible- basically they're exempt, but they will still be judged on whether or not they were arseholes to other people.

How ironic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Omackeral wrote:
    You know how God is all knowing and omnipotent etc and made everyone here on Earth. Then why did he make some people gay and then turn around and condemn homosexuality? Why did he make them that way in the first place like?

You're asking like it's their fault there's discrepancies written into a 2000 year old textbook. They mightn't believe any of that. Plenty of people have their own idea of who Jesus was and it's becoming more and more independant as science clears things up, and more atrocities come out about the church.

I probably believe the same as you, but I still think people should be able to believe what they want without getting ripped up by others. Who're they hurting? Let them have their own way of doing things and you have yours. The sun will rise regardless.

Although maybe not in this feckin' country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

You would hope that he has a better sales strategy than the first lad. Here we are 2000 years later, and they still only have 30% of the market.
    https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=percentage%20of%20christians%20in%20the%20world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

CPTM wrote: »
    I probably believe the same as you, but I still think people should be able to believe what they want without getting ripped up by others. Who're they hurting? Let them have their own way of doing things and you have yours. The sun will rise regardless.

That's all fine and dandy, if we had seperation of church and state.

- People having to bring their kids up in a religion that they don't believe in because the only school in that area is church run.
    - Blasphemy laws
    - The church will chime in on matters like Gay Marriage, The 8th .....

They are not just a club you can choose to join or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Just send it to Jesus C/O The Pentagon.

Trump is the second coming of Ronald Regan but not sure that counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

He already came back and tried to get into Irish politics and stake his claim to the nation: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056421351

Needless to say, it did not go well (get's interesting from post #94)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

9or10 wrote:
    That's all fine and dandy, if we had seperation of church and state.

9or10 wrote:
    - People having to bring their kids up in a religion that they don't believe in because the only school in that area is church run. - Blasphemy laws - The church will chime in on matters like Gay Marriage, The 8th .....

9or10 wrote:
    They are not just a club you can choose to join or not.

I know, and agree with what you're saying. I just feel like that religion is evolving outside the church quicker than any of us can imagine. People are coming up with their own definitions and we shouldn't just assume anymore that a person who prays to Jesus is necessarily a person who believes in any of the other (what I would call) garbage that the church haunted its followers with for so long. I have mates who pray to Jesus but not in the way they learned at school. He's just a symbol of love for them and they believe all the interpreters afterwards messed it up completely. They don't believe he was an all seeing all knowing being, don't believe he was a bee gees lookalike, don't believe he would be anti gay or anti choice in terms of religion if born today. They "like the band and not the fan club" is how they describe it.

They believe the church was a business that just created rules to grow the church. For example, more kids meant a bigger church and more income : so no contraception, no abortion, no same sex couple, no masturbation. Nothing that didn't lead to big families with loads of new joiners.

I'm not disagreeing with your points, just adding the experience that my generation (people in their 20s) have by in large lost all fate in the church and its rules, but there is a (small) subset of that group that still believe in Jesus in a different way. It's not black and white anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Arghus wrote: »
    If he could turn Buckfast into wine I'd follow him anywhere.

I can turn wine back into water again.........it just takes an hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There's actually a type of acute psychosis that can happen to perfectly sane people when they visit Jerusalem where they "have a moment" and become convinced that they are the new Jesus. Every year a hundred or so tourists are seen by Drs or hospitalised for it over there. That would lead me to believe there's also quite a number flying below the medical radar and quietly waiting for their moment to step into the divine light. It's considered a serious enough condition.

Has your "friend" been in Jerusalem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

Shure Jesus #1 was just a working man's Moses.

Walking on sea beds and sending plagues of locusts/frogs - now that's what I call butter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

He was just a David Blaine way before his time,surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

johnty56 wrote: »
    Wouldn't most of these replies, whilst indeed funny, be technically prosecutable offences under our blasphemy laws?

They really arent that funny in fairness

Advertisement