Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grand Designs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

That's it for this year, only 5 episodes.

Final episode felt a little odd... Not quite the usual format.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I thought it was a lovely finish.

Alot of money pumped into it though, not sure you'd get that back in a resale (I appreciate that this is their forever home)

I wouldn't have used the millstones as tables, I probably would have put them back in the floor somehow.

It has been a weird season as when they fall behind schedule, your going don't be blase about it a sh1tstorm is about to hit in March .....move !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Thargor wrote: »
    Nice enough for a bunker house (a bit bland) but why is Kevin going on like this guy has reinvented the wheel? These types of houses have been around forever, Grand Designs has done about 10 of them over the years.

This the guy who was some energy conservationist with the self heating thermal house and all the concrete? Didn't enjoy this episode at all. The man didn't come across well - it seemed to be all about his pet project with the thermal heating, going around the whole time with his temperature gauge. Meanwhile his wife has to stop home schooling the children and retrain and return to the workforce to help fund it. She really didn't seem happy with the project at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I was watching a "revisted" house last night and it got me thinking.... The revisit shows are usually done about a year later. Grand you have time to settle in. But I'd love to see some much older projects revisited - how the house has fared as the owners, kids etc have gotten older, if needs have changed, if things have been temperamental in the house, have they changed things much? If any of them have sold their house - why, and what do the new owners think? It just would be interesting!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    This the guy who was some energy conservationist with the self heating thermal house and all the concrete? Didn't enjoy this episode at all. The man didn't come across well - it seemed to be all about his pet project with the thermal heating, going around the whole time with his temperature gauge. Meanwhile his wife has to stop home schooling the children and retrain and return to the workforce to help fund it. She really didn't seem happy with the project at all.

I picked up more a if you want new stuff you have to pay for it yourself vibe.

• Advertisement

I was watching a "revisted" house last night and it got me thinking.... The revisit shows are usually done about a year later. Grand you have time to settle in. But I'd love to see some much older projects revisited - how the house has fared as the owners, kids etc have gotten older, if needs have changed, if things have been temperamental in the house, have they changed things much? If any of them have sold their house - why, and what do the new owners think? It just would be interesting!

The best ones are the house being built for a young family... but the kids have moved to university before it is finished :pac:

I think a few of the "mad" and "vanity" project builds got sold on

They went too far over budget etc.

From top of my head "the lighthouse" with music director.

The house built into the hill, I think in the lake district, had to get a sponsor to finish it and was sold.

Then there's the marital break ups were they've been sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fredinho

Sunny Dayz wrote:

Great idea, there were some very early ones you like to see now. I always remember the cob house and it being revisited and feeling a bit let down for want of putting it another way. Felt it was a bit too chic in some way. But could be alone in my thinking. Fair play to the guy fir doing it and the scale of it but it cost more than the labour even though he had a new partner when the revisited

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

The house built into the hill, I think in the lake district, had to get a sponsor to finish it and was sold.

Never saw the lighthouse one before so watched the revisit episode of it from 2017 or 2018 last night. Great idea and great looking house from the plans and 3D imagery but **** me that was some vanity project for a guy who wasnt a multi millionaire. Thats the kind of house you'd see some where like the French Riveria, Marbella or the Hamptons and owned by someone with more money then they know what to do with and only use it every few years. You could see from the start it was his project and the wife getting more upset the longer it went and the more money that was being borrowed but at least he realsied that and owned up to it at the end. Dont think the daughter knew how the whole borrowing, building and finishing it off thing worked.

There was another one a few years ago that was a vanity project for the guy. He bought an old warehouse or mill by a river and was pushing this layout and design for the house and gave his fiance/wife no say in it. Think she was from New Zealand and teh first time he met her parents he asked them for a loan to finish the house but during filming & the build in true Grand Designs style she got pregnant and the house was totally unsuitable for a kid but he wouldnt make any changes to the design

I'd like to see another rollow up to Ed and Rowena, they did a follow up a few years ago but the house wasn't quite 100%

https://www.granddesignsmagazine.com/grand-designs-houses/319-grand-designs-2017-preview-the-herefordshire-house-in-episode-9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭prunudo

Another one of the vanity projects that stick in my mind was the builder developer guy who tried to build the vast 4 storey house with pool and curved glass.
    Project suffered loads of set backs, financial crash, he had health issues, his other house went on fire.
    You'll remember it as the one where he had the ducati mounted on the wall at the end. Always thought the body language between him and the wife was very strained in the final interview piece they did with Kevin.

mloc123 wrote: »
    I'd like to see another rollow up to Ed and Rowena, they did a follow up a few years ago but the house wasn't quite 100%

https://www.granddesignsmagazine.com/grand-designs-houses/319-grand-designs-2017-preview-the-herefordshire-house-in-episode-9

Think thats was one of those where they designed and built a family home but by the time it 'finished' the kids had left home to go university.

prunudo wrote: »
    Another one of the vanity projects that stick in my mind was the builder developer guy who tried to build the vast 4 storey house with pool and curved glass.
    Project suffered loads of set backs, financial crash, he had health issues, his other house went on fire.
    You'll remember it as the one where he had the ducati mounted on the wall at the end. Always thought the body language between him and the wife was very strained in the final interview piece they did with Kevin.

I remember that one, he seemed nice enough though.

prunudo wrote: »
    Think thats was one of those where they designed and built a family home but by the time it 'finished' the kids had left home to go university.

That kitchen sink is gorgeous.

One thing I've noticed is some of the children's bedrooms are tiny.

Massive houses are built but the bedrooms are glorified closets.

Or else putting "jack and jill" bathrooms between a boys and girls bedrooms, once they hit teenage years that's going to cause nothing but problems.

I remember that one, he seemed nice enough though.

Yeah, nice chap and I think his closing remarks were along the lines of regretting taking on so much debt and such a lavish build because at the end of it they still didn't have a finished home.

Think it's a new series on channel 4 now 9pm, Wednesday Aug 31st.

I really liked the finished house, but ya know a tiny million over budget ...pocket change Jeeves!

The house reminded me of (purely from memory so could be completely wrong) a house either him or Dermot Bannon ,though I think it was him, visited belonging to a maths professor over in the states/Canada....I think the guy wrote calculus books....it may have just been the atrium feature.

Loved all the rooms,I think they were blessed that they had everything interior wise paid for and delivered before covid it, especially with the way everything has increased in price.

I really admire the guts (stupidity) of people that embark on these projects, my nerves would be well gone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The end result was gorgeous but the whole project was a rich man's folly. An utterly colossal house to actually live in too, he could have built something half the size, half the cost and still had a beautiful home. Lucky with the location too: even if he's bankrupt, he'd probably still manage to sell it on at a profit to one of the Man Utd squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Have to say, that house is probably one of my most favourite ones ever in the entire 22 seasons. Unbelievable finish.

Not sure how there can be no legal recourse for the Latvian company though, strange one as he talked litigation earlier in the episode.

I missed first 5 mins did he say what he did for work? As that is a serious chunk over budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Tonight is a revisit to the Lighthouse, deemed one of the 'saddest' episodes ever.

Really looking forward to it!!!

This build literally cost him everything. Such a vanity project but would love to see it finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Radio5

So he got it pretty much finished but will never live in it and it's for sale, along with the other house.

A vanity project that cost him his family, years of his life and pots of money.

Grand Designs: Chesil Cliff lighthouse home on market for £10 million - Devon Live

Plus it pretty much stole his children's childhood.

I did like the "storm room" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

The house is stunning, lesson there is you can build them if your a multi millionaire, which he clearly wasn't!

Stunning house. I really wanted to see the eye house, anyone else surprised it was almost hidden from even the aerial shots when showing the site?

I think they showed the eye house last season when it was completed.....I'm pretty sure that was repeated by rte2 recently so you may get it on the rte player!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I noticed that! The two were never shown in the same shot, it was very strange.

That was a depressing show all round - showing him rattling around in the ginormous trophy house that cost him his family and that he'll never get to live in....

And seeing the girls go from children to teenage to young women gave a sense of how long it all dragged out - how he didn't have a heart attack along the way with the stress of it all is beyond me!

One other thing that caught my eye was the main bedroom in the tower bit - if you were lying in the bed you couldn't see out to the view - that would drive me nuts!

I just found this thread! Another GD fan here.

Goddamnit, I missed the episode revisiting the lighthouse home, is it on Catch Up anywhere?

Has anyone been watching Grand Designs Australia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Advertisement