Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offers

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fraoch333

@Mick Tator Thanks for that.

Fold3 has free access which ends tomorrow. https://www.fold3.com/?group=1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

21st to 27th November, the Irish Newspaper Archive site will have all levels of membership at 50% off.

https://www.irishnewsarchive.com/subscribe

As usual, if you already have a sub, you can buy a gift sub and activate it when your current sub runs out.

One of the better sites in terms of giving long term subscribers a break.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Perfect timing spurious - my sub runs out in a weeks time.

And you're right - they are very good with the long term offers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I will also be availing of that excellent discount. My sub ran out a couple of weeks ago.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭55Gem

My sub runs out on the 24th so I'm delighted, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I have no sub so I am equally delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

need to subscribe to Fold3, anyone know whether there will be any offers in the next couple weeks, cyber and black monday?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They have this page (25% off) for subscribers to send to their friends. Works out at just under 60 US dollars for the year.

https://go.fold3.com/special?p=extend&iid=742

Oh tempted...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Go for it Pinky, as a Pro you can claim tax deductibility.🤤

• Advertisement

I know, but I hardly ever need it. The fear is that once you start getting them all, you can never stop. It's like Pringles.

Alright, I did it. Worth noting that if you have Ancestry already (as I do), it's even cheaper. Charged $49.95 for the year.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Going to purchase for the year, if anyone is stuck I can look up records.

Ancestry subs at 50% if you are so inclined!

I've updated my blog post.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Oh brilliant - that’s my subs sorted for another year.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Ancestry.com is a right pain in th@@@@. When it comes to billing.

subs for American .com and postal/ shipping addresses are nearly always reduced but when you try to purchase it notes your billing and shipping address and the price then changes. same with DNA kits . Example Dna kits 49 dollars , at least this time they reduced the uk site to 49£ stg with 9stg shipping . So close to 75 euro after exchange rates are included . As said at least it’s a reduction . Usually the ul site is a full 89 or 99 stg .

myheritage at least is straight forward . 36 euro and 9 euro shipping .

I find my heritage good for uk and Ireland. Whilst ancestry is better for us searches . I have both .

Ignoring discounts, the renewal price for my existing subscription (annual worldwide) is £179.99 (€209) but the 12 month World Explorer linked above by pinky is $319 (€306).

That's €100 difference between the US worldwide and UK worldwide annual subscriptions.

Am I missing something here?

Can anyone explain the discrepancy between the US and UK sites?

Genealogy Forum Mod

No idea but it is crazy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I was sure someone was going to point out something really obvious that I'd missed but not so.

Another thing is that I don't have the option to renew for a year - only six months.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Always worth ringing ancestry customer support. I managed to get them down under 150 euro when the old reliable rootschat link no longer worked. Not great, but it's something.

Yes, I did that last time and got a decent discount from them for the year.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Some good news - Find My Past are offering free access to (almost) all their records till Monday.

More at Irish Genealogy News.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fraoch333

Thanks @Hermy that's great news.

Fold3 also has free access until 12th November.

Good news from Claire Santry at IGN - the Newspapers.com database is free to access until Monday.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Roots Ireland is offering 25% discount on their annual sub according to Irish Genealogy News.

I won't be taking them up on their offer though as even with the discount is still way overpriced.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks Hermy,  I agree with you, some of the offers are plain silly e.g. to upgrade (FTDNA) to BigY 700 from Y-111  the ‘offer’ is $10 deducted from the usual $239 price.

There are a few other offers at the moment –

MyHeritage allows free DNA uploads to their site until March 10 https://www.myheritage.com/dna/upload?fbclid=IwAR2IGc4rI2GCAFGxIKsM7JbjB5PLBu5QpRwV0uxFxit7cBMVG49em0C_ZWE

A good article/list on the offers following RootsTech

https://dna-explained.com/2024/03/04/familytreedna-rootstech-pricing-lowest-ever-still-in-effect/?fbclid=IwAR09BNAAZnATbrJXDwMHGGe2xffxoJ2TX9UZuS1ALyyT1-Or0UeAC_lD4qQ🙂

I got my brother a big Y test at Roostech - he only had an autosomal with FTDNA before. It cost $375, but that was a decent reduction on the full price.

Genealogy Forum Mod

That's about a 16% discount, OK but not great; my upgrade from Y-111 to BigY-700 is discounted by 4%, so no thanks, particularly as I've no close matches and none with my surname. The issue is upgrades - you start low, say Y37 and then need to buy the upgrades so you're captive / trapped. Cost to FTDNA is minimal, they have the sample, no handling, just unlock the code. Through upgrades over the years I've spent >$300 just to get to Y-111. I'm what the French call une vache au lait!

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place.)

Mick, it's not the offer I take issue with but their prices generally - they charge more than Ancestry for a years sub and offer nowhere near the same in return.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement