Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Raspberry PI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thanks guys - I think having 2 power plugs and an extra widget plugged into the Pi kind of defeats the purpose, so I'll go the 2A route first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Mr E wrote: »
    Thanks guys - I think having 2 power plugs and an extra widget plugged into the Pi kind of defeats the purpose, so I'll go the 2A route first.

If you have a B+ and are using a 2A psu you'll get a full 1.2A to the 4 USB ports. Should be enough to run a few hungry devices :)

Now I just need to figure out where to get one (bricks and mortar) without paying through the nose in a phone shop.

Might have one at home actually, so I'll check there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Now I just need to figure out where to get one (bricks and mortar) without paying through the nose in a phone shop.

Might have one at home actually, so I'll check there first.

I'd be surprised if any phone adapter was over 500mA personally.

Then again... I have been known to be wrong on here in the past. I know it's hard to believe... ;-)

Ah balls fair enough - might go down to the shopping centre at lunchtime so.

• Advertisement

I get most of my raspberry Pi stuff from Pimoroni in the UK. They've a nice charger for £9 sterling. But probably not worth your while just getting that on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Check out Radionics, they do a Pi 2amp one for about €6.50
    http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/plug-in-power-supply/7653311/
    Anytime I've bought pi stuff from them its arrived the same day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've used Radionics a fair bit...you can place an order & have it held at the trade counter for you to pick up instead of delivery too. You can also just buy straight from the trade counter too if the item is in stock

Myrddin wrote: »
    I've used Radionics a fair bit...you can place an order & have it held at the trade counter for you to pick up instead of delivery too. You can also just buy straight from the trade counter too if the item is in stock

<aside>Where's their trade counter? </aside>

• Advertisement

MrVestek wrote: »
    <aside>Where's their trade counter? </aside>

Rialto, just off the canal

http://ie.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=aboutRS&file=helpdesk

Ahh yes, just behind the Crumlin shopping centre. I had ideas about it being in some random industrial park on the South side alright.

That's dead handy. *makes mental note*

Ahh yes, just behind the Crumlin shopping centre. I had ideas about it being in some random industrial park on the South side alright.

That's dead handy. *makes mental note*

It is very handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

That's about 5 or so minutes away from my house and I'm not entirely certain I even knew it was there, ha. I must keep that in mind. I've been thinking about picking up a Raspberry Pi when I have some spare change floating about.

That's about 5 or so minutes away from my house and I'm not entirely certain I even knew it was there, ha. I must keep that in mind. I've been thinking about picking up a Raspberry Pi when I have some spare change floating about.

You should definitely grab a Raspberry Pi. Lots more can be done than just sticking an OS and some emulators on them. If you like gadgets you'll like the Pi :)

Went to Maplins at lunchtime. Should have known better and saved my petrol money. How that place is still in business, I'll never know.

(€22 for a 2.2A plug in case anyone in curious - you don't even get the cable with that).

^^ dude....Maplins? :o

Yeah I know. I was willing to pay up to €12, but €22 was ridiculous. Wallet stayed in pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think they rely on last minute desperation.

The last time I bought anything in there was 3.5mm audio extension cables for an end of year show in college years ago.

I think they were something insane like €20 a piece and I needed 8 of them ASAP.

Would have gotten them for less than a fiver each on ebay. It's like they saw the look of desperation on my face when I walked in the door and rubbed their hands together in glee :(

o1s1n wrote: »
    I think they rely on last minute desperation.

The last time I bought anything in there was 3.5mm audio extension cables for an end of year show in college years ago.

I think they were something insane like €20 a piece and I needed 8 of them ASAP.

Would have gotten them for less than a fiver each on ebay. It's like they saw the look of desperation on my face when I walked in the door and rubbed their hands together in glee :(

Dealz. €1.49. Sure you're paying for Chinese quality but I don't care if it falls apart in six weeks for less than €2.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know. I was willing to pay up to €12, but €22 was ridiculous. Wallet stayed in pocket.

It is amazing how the hell they're still open as you said, stupid stupid prices in there.

It is amazing how the hell they're still open as you said, stupid stupid prices in there.

Morons that have nowhere else to go / aren't smart enough to shop online or in alternative places.

Went to Maplins at lunchtime
    Morons that have nowhere else to go / aren't smart enough to shop online or in alternative places.

Oh god...was nice knowing ya Mr V :p

You're only a moron if you shop there. Nothing wrong with looking (and pointing fingers, laughing).

You're only a moron if you shop there. Nothing wrong with looking (and pointing fingers, laughing).

True that. The enlightened use Radionics

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dealz. €1.49. Sure you're paying for Chinese quality but I don't care if it falls apart in six weeks for less than €2.

You're not just paying for Chinese quality, you're also supporting communism.

Where does it end MrVestek, where does it end?

Will you be trading nuclear secrets next?

Coming soon to YouTube - MrVestek, your U-238 Mate! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

(€22 for a 2.2A plug in case anyone in curious - you don't even get the cable with that).
    Absolute scumbags, that's just mental money:eek:
    Compare with the one linked a page back from Radionics for 6.68 plus vat@23% = €8.22 that's almost 3 times cheaper

Oh god...was nice knowing ya Mr V :p

He... didn't actually shop there though. Go stir your shíte stirring spoon on someone else's cornflakes. :P

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    You're not just paying for Chinese quality, you're also supporting communism.

Where does it end MrVestek, where does it end?

Will you be trading nuclear secrets next?

If they're selling Nuclear Missiles in Dealz now I'm buying four of them to keep the ex away.

Advertisement