Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unmissable PS2 Games?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Came across this article looking for a picture of Project Eden, some good ones on this list:

http://www.denofgeek.com/games/playstation-2/29715/top-50-underappreciated-playstation-2-games

The Thing and Freedom Fighters especially, brilliant games.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Damien King

Thargor wrote: »
    Just remembered another Xtravision punt from the days before looking stuff up online that we ended up playing all night in our house, Project Eden, a squad based action puzzler, very well made game that you never seem to see mentioned anywhere:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Eden

I beat you to it a couple of posts back :cool:

Great game, lost my original copy years ago (grrrr) but managed to snap it up again (yay) for 50 cent during an xtravision closing down sale a few years back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I played and finished Deus Ex on PS2 but it was far far better on the PC.
    The opposite was true of Fade 2 Black, sequel to Flashback on every format known to man.
    The PC game was first and good but the PS1 port was superb, much improved visuals and textures.
    Love that game, a PS1 game but you can play it on the PS2 so it still counts, kinda.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Damien King

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I played and finished Deus Ex on PS2 but it was far far better on the PC.

That game was amazing on the PC.

"I like to pick'em off from a distance, I'll take the rifle"

I was hooked from then on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Doge

Thargor wrote: »
    Ah yeah the Getaway! I dont think Ive thought of that game since I finished it back in the day tbh, great gunplay in it, I seem to remember assaulting a stately mansion or museum or something through the gardens then into the house and thinking at the time that it was one of the best things Id ever played. They were a bit too faithful with the satellite mapping of London though, most of the time you were stuck in traffic or playing bumper cars in the tiny streets.

I wa going to write a rather lengthy post on just how good The Getaway is but it would have turned into an essay.

I think it was groundbreaking at the time to have a true to life map of London down to the details of small pubs and shop fronts.

The characters and acting in the game is superb, the characters looked just like the real life actors in appearance btw, you can see them at the back of the map.

The GTA games at the time were cartooney and relied more on fun, where as the Getaway was pure dark and focussed on realism.

The licensed cars added to the realism in the game, the car handling was fantastic. Even better than the dreadful handling in GTA 4.
    Another comparison is that the strippers and prosititutes in The Getaway were completely topless, it took all the way a far as GTA V to do the same.

Another unique thing about the game is that to even further the realism there is no on screen display whatsoever, not even a minimap, you even had to be guided by car's indicators.

Great soundtrack and the opening is fantastic also:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm going to spoil the Getaway love in here and just say that the Getaway was a technical marvel but a very mediocre GRA clone like all the reviews said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm going to spoil the Getaway love in here and just say that the Getaway was a technical marvel but a very mediocre GRA clone like all the reviews said.

Yeah, I was going to say the same.
    At the time the game was considered to be technically impressive, a lovely use of colour palette as well, but it lacked gameplay.
    The sequel was worse again tbh, I just couldn't enjoynit at all, though I finished the original.
    Made up cities are more fun than real ones, Los Santos trumps Los Angeles, as evidenced by GTA:SA vs True Crime LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Doge

It just clicks with me, i'd rather play it over vice city and SA and have been recently.

Its a shame nothing became of the Getaway 3.

Theres a gap in the market for a game that fits its style and uniqueness.

Heres a technical demo for it on the ps3:

• I ended up getting the android version of Dragon Quest VIII so I've been plugging along with that. The main differences are the wonderful orchestral sounds have been replaced with a terrible soundtrack and there is no voice acting. The controls are a lot more convenient with tactics added for battle (can usually choose "Fight Wisely").

The game is a bit grindy as one user said but that doesn't bother me. The plot isn't gripping me yet with not much indication who the green guy is or the main character after about 8 hours or so. I'll stick with it on your recommendation. It's handy on the bus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The plot of Dragon Quest 8 doesn't get going for a while but it's pretty good in a light hearted way. It's more about the characters who are excellent.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The plot of Dragon Quest 8 doesn't get going for a while but it's pretty good in a light hearted way. It's more about the characters who are excellent.

Its one of those PS2 games I own that I really must get back to, along with Okami.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Its one of those PS2 games I own that I really must get back to, along with Okami.

Its incredibly fun to play.

Sometimes I play an older game just to see the stroy through to the end or investigate why people like it so much but this one hooked me after the first dungeon.

• I couldn't hack DQ8's grindy nature and slow moving plot.

I've picked up FF Tactics on Android as it was released this week. I'm loving the almost Shakespearean dialogue. I'm already gripped. Controls can be a bit awkward on the touch screen though.

Advertisement