Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My wisdom tooth extraction experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

R.M. wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering can anyone tell me how long they had to take off work to recover after the extractions? I have to get all 4 removed under general anaecthic before they come up. Does the recovery time depend on the person or is their an average time the swelling should be gone down by? I just don't know what to tell my manager. thanks

Like you say- everyone is different...

For 4 wisdoms under GA- I'd normally advise 5 days before going back and if you feel good and want to go back sooner- then you look good and eager....
    Try to book it for Wednesday or Thursday to give you the weekend too...

Good luck,
    OS

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Had my second lower wisdom tooth extracted yesterday by an oral surgeon. I just chose to have it done under local anaesthetic rather than have IV sedation. It was quite a difficult extraction as the tooth was pretty severely hooked and the root was quite close to the nerves in the jaw.

Anyway, despite a tough extraction - the surgeon had quite a task getting it out (their words, not mine!) - I'm not feeling too bad today. My face has swollen to the size of a golf ball and is bruised (I'd been taking arnica for 5 or 6 days before, although I don't think it worked), but isn't that sore. I can only open it about half way, so hard food is out for a day or two.

Thankfully I've no tingling sensation in my tongue or face - the surgeon said I might given the depth of my tooth and the difficult extraction - so I'm just hoping that I won't disturb the stitches or socket...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I got two wisdom teeth removed today with local anastetic. It was fine I got injected a few times but the extraction was quick and easier than I thought. I'm still numb after the anastetic though after getting it done at 2pm.

I havnt a clue what the pain will be like when it dies down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 katie_stenson

Hi I found this thread so useful before my wisdom tooth extraction so I figured I would share my experience.

I have been avoiding getting my crooked wisdom tooth out for about 5 years but I kept putting it off because my dentist said I needed to get them out by general anesthetic. I have recently went back to a different dentist and they said I had a cavity in my back molar which was coming up crooked due my wisdom tooth and thus I couldn't brush it properly. I googled wisdom tooth and this boards thread came up and I saw that you could get them out via iv sedation instead and that seemed a lot less serious and so I looked into that. I also got a great recommendation about an oral surgeon and since I knew he was meant to be one of the best oral surgeons it really put me at ease.

When I went to the consultation with the oral surgeon, the x-ray showed that I had 2 crooked lower wisdom teeth, with one of them being impacted. I scheduled the extraction for a week later (a Friday so I had the weekend to recover) and I barely remember the procedure. I was a bit nervous about the iv as I don't like needles but the surgeon was really REALLY good at keeping me calm as he kept talking away to me to keep my mind away from it. I was in the middle of a story and the next thing I remember was coming to in the chair and seeing him on the computer in the corner. Apparently I was talking to them during the procedure and asked to keep my teeth and they were nice enough to keep them for me.

Once I came to I was completely fine and I wasn't groggy but I did walk into a glass table on the way out so beware! :) You will need someone to bring you home but I got the luas home and was completely fine.

The only bit of bother I had was when I went home and I had to take my pain killer but I was face was still numb so I found them hard to take. I did eventually get them down and I took a protein shake so they wouldn't bother my stomach. (Protein shakes are amazing for when you can't eat btw).

Other than that no problems and as I said I don't remember a thing. One other tip is that when the prescribed pain meds run out buy nurofen plus and not the plain nurofen as it doesn't work as well without the codeine. A week and a half on and I am still on the odd pain killer but the pain isn't too bad without them, it just makes it a bit uncomfortable to eat without them.

Also I went back to work on the Monday. I was a tiny bit groggy still but I could work and since I work from home I slept during my lunch time. The side with the impacted tooth was a bit bruised but nothing major but that would be the main reason not to go to work but I say if you explained that you weren't in a street fight or anything over the weekend it should be fine.

Anyways if anyone wants a recommendation for the oral surgeon just send me a PM and I'll get back to you. He really was top class and a complete professional, I can't recommend him enough, also I have recommended him to my boyfriend, his sister and even the chemist who asked who I went to! :) It wasn't particularly cheap but it was going rate and he really did seem a cut above the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Got my other 2 wisdom teeth out this week under local again, it was easy enough extraction and very little pain afterwards. 2 days later and I can eat most food without any issues.

Obviously impacted wisdom teeth are much more complicated but a simply extraction under local is nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 pgargan

TL;DR version: 2 x Wisdom teeth removed under general anaesthetic. No pain so far but expecting some later.

Longer version:

I had an impacted lower right wisdom tooth for that needed to come out. It wasn't causing any pain, but food was getting trapped and I couldn't clean it properly. It was starting to decay slightly and because of the awkward angle, even my dentist couldn't get at it to fix it up.

She referred me to a consultant who dealt with these sorts of things. There's a user on here with a handle similar to said consultant's website, but it's a generic dental term so that could just be coincidence. On the other hand, if it is the same guy and he's reading this, then I'd like to offer my thanks :-) Anyone can PM me for names - I'm happy to recommend him.

From looking at my X-Rays, the impacted tooth seemed (to me) quite tricky to get at. I could barely reach it with a toothbrush. How could he get a grip to work on it? Gum would have to be cut away, perhaps bone dug at. I enquired about the practicalities of all this, and he told me "That's what I do." Not totally reassuring, but on the other hands, a full proper medical explanation would have been incomprehensible to me.

It sounded like lots of trauma. I really didn't fancy it. Worse, consultant wanted to remove the (healthy) wisdom tooth above it, in case it affected healing of the wound below (if case I bit down inadvertently?) Still, he's the expert, not me, so I went with his advice.

Having heard horror stories of local-anaesthetic-only extractions, I opted for a general anaesthetic. I won't recount said horror stories here, but I would recommend prospective patients know just how bad things can get for (perhaps only a few) unlucky souls.

Procedure would be done by the consultant as a day-care op in the Beacon clinic. Hurrah for VHI. I was told to present for 10:30am (they'd given me the option of 6:30am; at that ungodly hour, I wouldn't have needed any anaesthetic to keep me asleep). I'd to fast from midnight the night before, no food or water. I'd to bring PJs, slippers and dressing gown, though they turned out not to be needed. A medical history was taken over the phone. Had I ever had Lupus? Of course not. It's never Lupus!

On the day, there was paperwork to be signed and I was shown to a bed in a curtain-screend cubicle. I was given a gown to change into. The straps go at the back! Who knew? I certainly didn't, but luckily the nurse explained when she saw I'd donned it the wrong way round.

Blood pressure and pulse were taken, repeatedly, and medical history verified. They even got me to verify my name and DOB several times. They had it all in front of them, but each nurse wanted to make sure they'd got the right patient. Good to see.

I was wheeled in the bed to a room near the theatre area. That was fun! Whee! I was given a hairnet. A needle was put in the back of my left hand, for the anaesthetic. That hurt, but not for long. The consultant came in, had a chat. Then I was wheeled into theatre and helped onto the table.

Something was fitted onto my left hand and pumped into my arm. That distinctly hurt, from the pressure of the fluid being forced up my vein. Meanwhile, they give me a mask with what they called "fresh air" :) and told to take nice deep breaths. I was laying there, wide awake, wondering how long it'd take to start feeling sleepy ... and that's the last I remember! If it took me a while to go under properly, I'd no recollection.

I woke up in the recovery theatre. I guess I'd been out for 2 hours or more. It felt like waking up after a night's snooze. Bit sleepy for a little bit, but not groggy, nor hung over. No pain. Mouth was numb and I was chewing gauze. I'd been given a local anaesthetic on the gum. I was numb to the tips of my ears. More pulse and blood pressure checks, and a change of (bloody) gauze. I was given my teeth in a blood-splattered vial. The impacted one had been split in two to help get it out. Looking forward to collecting from the tooth fairy on those!

Wheeled back to day care, more checks, and my fiancée was phoned to say I was ready to be discharged. I was given a extensive (and slightly confusing) prescription list for steroids, anti-inflammatories, painkillers, each to be taken at different times and frequencies.

So far (9pm) the numbness is nearly worn off. I've been sipping 7up. Little pain, and not much swelling. That's scheduled to arrive later :) Some bleeding but that's to be expected too. Check back for updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pgargan

One week later, I've had no pain. Just discomfort. No doubt the various drugs helped, but I've finished taking them now and the worst I've had is some swelling / bruising. Gums are tender - I accidentally poked them with a toothbrush last night and knew all about it. :eek:

Still on a liquid diet - Weetabix is the best I've tried so far.

Overall, it's been much, much better than I thought it'd be.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ENMcD

My experience of 2 wisdoms extracted, one them being impacted severley.

Done mine inLimerick, very nice place btw!
    Got there pretty much shown to my bed straight away and done all the usual paperwork! My mom and bro decided to go walk abouts (thanks guys).

Nurse came for my and bought me to some room where i waited for the anesthisted (person who numbs me cant spell it) while i was waiting I started bawling crying! There was no stopping me cos I am PETRIFIED of needles!!

Doc came in and tried to calm me! Done the needle the hand :( nurse came put on my hairnet and walked me into theatre, I was still crying really bad! Got on the bed hooked up my numbing thing I was shaking and crying! Nurse was holding my hand playing with my hair and wiping my tears away! Put on the mask and started counting 10..9..8.. I was gone!!

Next thing I started coming around but couldnt open my eyes and could hear a nurse tryin to wake me.. I was still crying!! next thing they had to get a doctor who started shaking me and calling my name my eyes finally opened but I couldn breath and it took everything for me to lift my hand to my throat when she realised my airways were obstructed! They cleared it away and gave me oxygen mask but i was panicking and took 5mins to calm me! My mouth was stuffed with gauze and blood!

Got wheeled back to my bed where my bro burst out laughing cos i looked so funny the pr***!!
    After an hour got jelly and ice cream which was divine!! but my mom took it off me in case i got sick :/ Got discharged after another hour geared with painkillers and prescription!
    It was a long trip back home to Connemara!
    My face was totally swollen and black on my left side and was like that for nearly 2weeks and i started eating properly again round 2 weeks!!

Sorry but super long post... was very traumatic for me!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

No names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Final two out today under local, sucked ass as I was hungover and the lower was a bastard to get out. Top took less then 5mins but bottom took 30mins+. Dentist said he was having issues with removing the crown from the root. He also said his drill wasn't long enough to get at it and he was using the extended one! Both were Hungarian and fine, they were speaking in Hugarian during the removal but I was glad I couldn't understand what they were saying as I didn't want to know what the problem was.

Jaw is going to be huge tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BlueHoboFTW

Dentist told me i'd have to get my wisdom teeth out about a year ago. Starting to have problems now, feels like my bottom right tooth is cutting the gum. Been on pain killers 2 weeks now and going to the dentist Tuesday.

Really afraid of the whole procedure tbh. Hopefully i'll get it done under anaesthetic. Don't have a brilliant pain threshold.
    Wish me looks Boards! I'll letcha know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

I've a quick q about wisdom teeth, I've two top ones down grand, my bottom right is just a tiny corner so far and the bottom left is half showing, and the gum on the top back of it ( if that makes any sense) is hurtin now with it coming out but when I put my finger in it I notice it's prob 15-20 degreese off from being straight......

Would any one recommend that I should get it looked at or leave it be and see what happens? The tooth itself isn't hurtin but just the ill bitta gum above... This ever happen to anyone that it came out crooked and was ok?

Would any one recommend that I should get it looked at or leave it be and see what happens? The tooth itself isn't hurtin but just the ill bitta gum above... This ever happen to anyone that it came out crooked and was ok?

The 2 biggest reasons for wisdom tooth removal are;
    Local infection caused by food impaction around a partially erupted tooth (pericoronitis)
    Decay of the wisdom tooth or the tooth beside it.

With the first one, you usually feel pain and tenderness around the gum
    With the second, you will notice no pain or problems until the decay has gone beyond the point of no repair. In many cases, this results in not only the removal of the wisdom tooth but also the filling/ root canal or removal of the adjacent tooth....

Best to get it looked at, if you are young (late teens) it may erupt further and correct itself but if you are older- it's probably there to stay....

OS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I got my 4 wisdom teeth out 2 weeks ago. I had trouble a few months ago with my lower one. It was peeping out and food was getting caught there. I didn't realise it and one night I got an unmerciful toothache. Right in the middle of when I was doing my thesis. Of course it was pretty much gone the next day. Anyway I booked into the dentist for a normal check up in June. She took a full x-ray of my mouth and referred me to an oral surgeon.

Basically 3 of my teeth had broken through. One was well on it's way to being down and the other two were in the early stages. The final tooth, my lower back left, was nowhere near being up. On the x-ray it seemed like it had another quarter to half an inch to go before it hit the gum. It was shaped like a banana and even to me it looked like it would cause trouble.

My mum had hers taken out 30 years ago. On of the teeth was shaped like a banana again and the dentist actually broke it taking it out and never removed the other bit and naturally it caused huge problems down the line.

Anyway I had about 2 minutes to decide how many to get out and I chose the 4 teeth. I figured I'm 21 now, finished college with no job so I can take however long to recover. If I need it out in 4 years I won't have the same luxury. Plus I didn't fancy thinking that it could flare up at any time over the next few years.

The procedure was done under GA. I remember getting the needle inserted, being wheeled into the theatre and the bright lights. It's just like in the movies :pac:. They put the mask over my mouth and next thing I remember was waking up back in the room in the hospital ward. My first thoughts were when was I going to be going back into the theatre to get the teeth out. I was in bits from the GA for a while after :pac:. For some reason I tried sending a text to my best friend after.

It read: In bits here toner ancestitiehib. Some ****ing crack.

That was my best attempt at spelling anaesthetic ha.

The recovery was long. The rest of that day I was a zombie. Couldn't say a word pretty much without slurring. Only thing I could eat was Weetabix and ice cream. That continued with slight improvements for a few more days. I went to watch our team play a match 3 days after it. That was some laugh. I was full of all sorts of pills to keep the pain and swelling down and I couldn't make any sense at all. Every word was slurred and had to repeat myself the whole time. We won anyway.

I finally managed to eat my first proper dinner that same day. That was the first solid food I'd eaten in over 4 days. Twas only mince and potatoes. That was my diet then for the next 4 days. My jaw seemed nearly wired shut and I couldn't really open wide enough to fit anything else in (no that's what she said jokes there please :p).

As of today it's 12 days since the surgery. I can't fully open my mouth still. Made a sensational sandwich last night to find I couldn't actually eat it. Apart from that it's alright. I'm back playing soccer and eating normally is no bother.

The only annoying thing is that there is still stitching left on the lower back left tooth. It seems like the side of my mouth is nearly stitched to meet up with my gum. This means that the side of my mouth is coming between my teeth and it's flaring up a lot. I knew the procedure on that tooth was pretty big but I expected the stitching to be gone after 12 days.

I've to check after every meal to make sure that food isn't lodged in the hole left behind after the removals on the upper teeth. Corsodyl is handy for that. Also in the early days I found it great to carry around a packet of chewing gum with me because you can't wash most of your mouth and my breath anyway stunk like shít because of all the milk I was drinking :pac:.

I'm glad I got them out and I'd recommend anyway worrying about it not to. It's not a big deal imo. The recovery is handy enough as well as long as you follow the instructions and are careful about what you eat and do. I know everyone is different but apart from grogginess I was back studying for an interview 2 days later, and what I wrote actually made some sense ha.

My god that was one long post. At the 800 word mark. That's 1/10th of my thesis I wrote in 20 minutes there. Took me months to do that for the real thing ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I got my 4 wisdom teeth out 2 weeks ago. I had trouble a few months ago with my lower one. It was peeping out and food was getting caught there. I didn't realise it and one night I got an unmerciful toothache. Right in the middle of when I was doing my thesis. Of course it was pretty much gone the next day. Anyway I booked into the dentist for a normal check up in June. She took a full x-ray of my mouth and referred me to an oral surgeon.

Basically 3 of my teeth had broken through. One was well on it's way to being down and the other two were in the early stages. The final tooth, my lower back left, was nowhere near being up. On the x-ray it seemed like it had another quarter to half an inch to go before it hit the gum. It was shaped like a banana and even to me it looked like it would cause trouble.

My mum had hers taken out 30 years ago. On of the teeth was shaped like a banana again and the dentist actually broke it taking it out and never removed the other bit and naturally it caused huge problems down the line.

Anyway I had about 2 minutes to decide how many to get out and I chose the 4 teeth. I figured I'm 21 now, finished college with no job so I can take however long to recover. If I need it out in 4 years I won't have the same luxury. Plus I didn't fancy thinking that it could flare up at any time over the next few years.

The procedure was done under GA. I remember getting the needle inserted, being wheeled into the theatre and the bright lights. It's just like in the movies :pac:. They put the mask over my mouth and next thing I remember was waking up back in the room in the hospital ward. My first thoughts were when was I going to be going back into the theatre to get the teeth out. I was in bits from the GA for a while after :pac:. For some reason I tried sending a text to my best friend after.

It read: In bits here toner ancestitiehib. Some ****ing crack.

That was my best attempt at spelling anaesthetic ha.

The recovery was long. The rest of that day I was a zombie. Couldn't say a word pretty much without slurring. Only thing I could eat was Weetabix and ice cream. That continued with slight improvements for a few more days. I went to watch our team play a match 3 days after it. That was some laugh. I was full of all sorts of pills to keep the pain and swelling down and I couldn't make any sense at all. Every word was slurred and had to repeat myself the whole time. We won anyway.

I finally managed to eat my first proper dinner that same day. That was the first solid food I'd eaten in over 4 days. Twas only mince and potatoes. That was my diet then for the next 4 days. My jaw seemed nearly wired shut and I couldn't really open wide enough to fit anything else in (no that's what she said jokes there please :p).

As of today it's 12 days since the surgery. I can't fully open my mouth still. Made a sensational sandwich last night to find I couldn't actually eat it. Apart from that it's alright. I'm back playing soccer and eating normally is no bother.

The only annoying thing is that there is still stitching left on the lower back left tooth. It seems like the side of my mouth is nearly stitched to meet up with my gum. This means that the side of my mouth is coming between my teeth and it's flaring up a lot. I knew the procedure on that tooth was pretty big but I expected the stitching to be gone after 12 days.

I've to check after every meal to make sure that food isn't lodged in the hole left behind after the removals on the upper teeth. Corsodyl is handy for that. Also in the early days I found it great to carry around a packet of chewing gum with me because you can't wash most of your mouth and my breath anyway stunk like shít because of all the milk I was drinking :pac:.

I'm glad I got them out and I'd recommend anyway worrying about it not to. It's not a big deal imo. The recovery is handy enough as well as long as you follow the instructions and are careful about what you eat and do. I know everyone is different but apart from grogginess I was back studying for an interview 2 days later, and what I wrote actually made some sense ha.

My god that was one long post. At the 800 word mark. That's 1/10th of my thesis I wrote in 20 minutes there. Took me months to do that for the real thing ha.

I had my 4 wisdom teeth taken out like yourself under GA that anesthetic is deadly alright! Neways I had one stitch that didnt dissolve and I was told to go back to dentist for check up after 2wks neways so he just took it out then! Definitely go get the dentist take it out as it's kinda uncomfortable when the stitch gets loose nd food gets stuck! You'll be so glad when it's all healed and you dont have to worry about them anymore :)

Amzie wrote: »
    I had my 4 wisdom teeth taken out like yourself under GA that anesthetic is deadly alright! Neways I had one stitch that didnt dissolve and I was told to go back to dentist for check up after 2wks neways so he just took it out then! Definitely go get the dentist take it out as it's kinda uncomfortable when the stitch gets loose nd food gets stuck! You'll be so glad when it's all healed and you dont have to worry about them anymore :)

Cheers I might look into that. It's still there today and doesn't look like going away any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Cheers I might look into that. It's still there today and doesn't look like going away any time soon.

No probs, I just remember the discomfort of it! Best to get it out nd over with :) hope your better soon :)

No probs, I just remember the discomfort of it! Best to get it out nd over with :) hope your better soon :)

Hmmm well I rang the surgeon but he's based in Dublin and I'm in Kilkenny so he fobbed me off. Bit of a wanker to be honest considering the money he sponged out of me. Rang my dentist up and have an appointment on Monday morning.

The back tooth is starting to swell now and I'm almost certain that it's infected. The gum where the tooth was taken from has swelled up to a huge size and I'm seeing an increase in size in my jaw. Also the dreaded "can't open your mouth fully" feeling.

Not so good. Hopefully I get sorted on Monday morning now.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭swanangel

:DFour (impacted wisdom teeth) removed - two on the right side first and then the left side about four or so weeks later. All four were meant to come out at same time but I couldn't do it that way. I got them removed by the Oral Surgeon in the same practice that I got my crowns/whitening done, so if you have read my other posts and asked for their details you already have them. I highly recommended my Oral Surgeon also, this person took the time to ring me on his personal time to speak to me when I freaked out about wisdom teeth removal and was just so nice and encouraging towards me even when it must have been hard to understand my phobias. They have a great team in there and the dental nurse is a amazing.

WHAT'S SEDATION LIKE? (Intravenous Sedation A.K.A IV sedation)
    First of all I do not mean GA - general anaesthesia, which is the type that you get when you have major take your kidney out type operations, although I have heard of some people who choose to have it for wisdom teeth. I got IV sedation.

So from point of view it went like this: I sat down and they put some things on my left arm to monitor my blood pressure, pulse etc, wiped the spot on my right arm clean with a sterile wipe and waited till I was ready to give me what seems like a little injection.

It is actually a small cannula placed into a vein in your arm and the sedative then flows through this as far as I know, I didn’t feel anything going into my veins or any pain it was fine, just a pinch like a blood test.
    It then kind of feels like falling asleep, both times the oral surgeon was talking to me, just saying I would feel nice & relaxed soon.

From my point of view I was just waiting to feel something for about ten seconds, then I thought the room went a little darker (like when the sun passes over the clouds and you lose light in a room) I felt snug in the chair at the same time (snug as in more comfortable and good) and then I was waking up with it all over.

That's how it felt both times, so I knew the second time I got sedated when the room lost some light again that I would be gone in a second.
    I don't remember anything else, as far as I can tell I was asleep but the 2nd time I thought I dreamt the oral surgeon saying something like 'that's that one gone now' as if he was talking to me but I only remember a voice - no vision - and it could of been me dreaming in the chair afterwards. You're supposedly awake and you do everything you’re told, but you would swear you were knocked out.

So it's great, I wouldn’t mind getting it again. I have had the other type (general anaesthesia) for some operations I had and the main difference is that you don’t have to fast for 24hrs and you don’t feel any nausea afterwards, I think GA would be a waste of time & money for wisdom teeth and GA also carries its own risks but it’s up to you.

THE SHORT VERSION OF MY EXPERIENCE:
    First two - No pain or swelling just discomfort. Dizzy/sick on days 2, 3, 4 due to painkillers not agreeing with me. Stitches took ten days to dissolve.

Second two: Swelling and some pain that was relieved by painkillers - I choose to take less strong painkillers at the start due to them making me dizzy/sick last time, I was not left in any sort of agony at all so please don't think that. Once I took the correct strength painkillers I was fine and I dropped the strength everyday. Stitches still there two weeks later, not bothering me wouldn’t know there were there unless I looked.

THE LONG VERSION OF MY EXPERIENCE:
    RIGHT SIDE - Saturday - Woke up after the sedation, I think they said I may have slept for about a half hour after in the chair. I had what felt like a big piece of tissue in my mouth, but it wasn't uncomfortable and I didn't feel like gagging or anything, the oral surgeon just took it out when I was more or less ready to go.

I felt fine, numb on that side but tingles were starting as it began to wear off. I was awake in the car on the way home felt a bit tired (I wasn't driving obviously because of having been sedated) my partner collected my painkillers (two types of painkiller)/anti-biotic/mouthwash on the way all prescribed by my oral surgeon which cost around 25-30 Euro just so you can have that with you.

At home I had some mashed up with water banana using a tea spoon & some milkshake vitamin drink then took first dose of tablets, watched some tv & went asleep.

Woke up about two hours later, no pain just a discomfort in my jaw I was quite pleased as I thought it was going to be bad.

I used frozen peas wrapped in a towel to ice my jaw the rest of the day as I heard that would help keep any swelling at bay but I didn't end up getting any at all, ate mushy food throughout the day, took tablets at regular intervals and went to bed slightly propped up.

Woke up the next day - Sunday - Ate one weetabix and took my tablets, no pain, went along with my partner for a little drive just to get out but I started to feel incredibly dizzy with some nausea on and off, these spells continued throughout the day and the next two days. Monday & Wednesday I vomited four times, but I now know that this was due to one of the painkillers that my oral surgeon said a lot of women get these side effects from so it had nothing to do with the actual wisdom teeth.

I had figured that one of the painkillers was making me feel so bad, so I stopped taking them after I took one on Tuesday morning & was sick straight away.

It took another day for the dizzy spells to stop but then I was ok and I had no pain after stopping taking them on Tuesday just a discomfort type feeling, nothing like a tooth ache and nothing that would keep you awake.

I continued on eating mush food and rinsing with salty water after I ate until the following Friday then I started to eat kind of normally but using the 'good' side of my mouth. The stitches took about two weeks to dissolve and I could see a tiny hole about the size of a pen tip in the bottom gum. The discomfort feeling stays for a week, then in week two it's tender when brushing and sore to smile but nothing that bothered me I was quite happy with how it went bar the dizzy/sickness the rest was only just annoying.

LEFT SIDE - Four and bit weeks later - Friday - Same as before, woke up, big tissue, went home.
    However, I had a bit of pain as I was waiting in the car for my partner to collect my tablets, they took ages in the chemist and as I had had trouble with one of the painkillers making me sick last time the oral surgeon gave a different, less strong type to take if I wanted.

I took the less strong painkiller along with the other set of painkiller and it took me awhile to nod off woke up an hour later and still felt some pain, so before bed I took the stronger type this time as I had gotten away with taking them the first day after the last procedure with no dizzy/sickness. They worked and I slept from 11pm - 7:30am when I woke up with some pain again. I decided to go back to the less strong painkiller and see if it would work that day and it did so I kept taking them.

This time I didn't get away without swelling and instead had what looked like a golf ball shape near the front of my jaw a little lower then my mouth and shaded black, I had iced my face but maybe this extraction was more difficult or something, I called to check with the dental nurse just in case as I didn't want to spend the weekend worrying about this weird blackness etc.
    My oral surgeon called me back as the nurse was not available and it was fine, as the swelling had come on quite quick (it was actually there when I got home that day and got bigger overnight) it was normal.

So by Sunday I was only taking across the counter parcetamol, I was took it as instructed on the box and by Tuesday had stopped, the pain I was taking them for felt more like a pain in my cheek rather than my jaw but painkillers worked grand.

It's two weeks on now, I can see my stitches still on the bottom and what I thought was a big black scab or black gum but I think it may be the extraction site, it's just larger this time.
    It sore to do a big smile just like a tender feeling, nothing major. The swelling stayed for ten days easing off every day and I'm just delighted it all went without any big drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Swanangel that is a really excellent post and I am almost completely certain that the dentists could not have written a better account themselves. You are a great advertisment for this type of treatment, we just all wish that everyones experience was as good as yours, fair do's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Got 3 out today had one taken out a year ago.

2 had to be cut out the other just pulled the top right hand side is the wrost of the pain it never grew down so they had to cut that one out and one of the bottom ones

Got the GA had mine at 1.30 and still feel out of it walking pour slow if i move around the room starts spinning.

Thank god it's all done with and I got knock out couldn't take it being awake I would image.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 joy28

can anyone tell me what hurts more!!! pain from wisdom tooth extraction or the pain of abcess/infection in wisdom tooth????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

joy28 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what hurts more!!! pain from wisdom tooth extraction or the pain of abcess/infection in wisdom tooth????

infection. the extraction shouldn't hurt at all. uncomfortable, but not painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Or the pain of it healing mine hurting like hell for the last 7 days. Me then going out for a family night out I said I'll try a glass of cola well the pain i had to go home right away. Got all mine out at the same time

How long do they take to heal fully so I can eat food with out having to worry about trap food in the hole

IMO, nothing is worse than a bad toothache or dental/facial infection (maybe kidney stones are- but I don't see them...)

Murphy's law is that the toothache or infection will happen at the worst possible time and unfortunitly eventually requires some form of operative treatment to sort it out.

I always advise patients to sort out all pain/ infection asap and do it in a planned fashion... Sure you will be a little sore and swollen but the healing and management is more predictable than going around with a time bomb in your mouth.

Good luck,
    OS

Cork24 wrote: »
    Or the pain of it healing mine hurting like hell for the last 7 days. Me then going out for a family night out I said I'll try a glass of cola well the pain i had to go home right away. Got all mine out at the same time

How long do they take to heal fully so I can eat food with out having to worry about trap food in the hole

Most are "90%" there after the first 5 days or so and then the wound just needs time to mature and fully heal... There will always be a depression in the area for the first few weeks but the bone will even out with time...

If the pain is increasing etc- you need to ring your clinic as you may have a dry socket/ infection etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25 joy28

thank you oral surgeon that has made me feel better. i have an infection at the minute and the ear ache to go with it is horrific!!!!

just one more question if possible could you tell me the best ways to avoid dry socket. many Thanks, going ahead with op on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

I was put under conscious sedation when I got my wisdom teeth on one side taken out, top one impacted, lower one had deep decay.

No pain afterwards, though the stitches annoyed the frak out of me

thank you oral surgeon that has made me feel better. i have an infection at the minute and the ear ache to go with it is horrific!!!!

just one more question if possible could you tell me the best ways to avoid dry socket. many Thanks, going ahead with op on Wednesday.

The main predisposing factors for dry socket are;
    Being female
    On the contraceptive pill
    Smoking
    Difficult extraction, especially lower jaw
    A history of previous dry socket in you...

So really, the most important thing you can do is not smoke, keep you mouth impeccably clean before and after the extraction with brushing and rinses, follow all post op instructions...
    What your dentist/oral surgeon needs to do to prevent dry socket is "as gentle a surgical extraction as possible" This may sound silly but a lot of pushing and pulling crushes the surrounding bone and leaves it prone to infection or dry socket. A planned surgical type extraction where the gum is cut, bone drilled under saline irrigation frees up the tooth with as little "trauma" to the remaining bone.

The jury is out on whether post op antibiotics reduces the incidence of dry socket or infection- you could find research to support both arguments... Most clinicians do give post op antibiotics ...

Good luck,
    OS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭boxoff

Hey fols,

Going for an extraction next wed - dom dom DOM!

My tooth is a bottom molar which is broken, was referred to a dentist who seems to know his stuff and is quite renowned. He tells me I have to have it drilled and through the vibration of the drills and water jets, he will be able to get it out. Ugh sounds nasty! Anyone had this method done?

Also getting conscious sedation done as I wickedly nervous, Q for all you folk who had it done - can you walk/stand after it? Having somebody bring me home of course....

Thanks... an extraction of the folks for xmas pressie- nice!

Advertisement