Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best doctor?

• 30-06-2015 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Lads/Ladies Could somebody recommend me a good doctor to go to, My current doctor is a complete idiot and i'm sick of going to him and looking to go to another and much better doctor!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Doctor Geoffrey Plant in the Kehoe Practice is a very nice and patient doctor, I have been to him about 6 times over a 3 year period for different things and always found him very pleasant to deal with and he will give you more than enough time to describe your problem to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Doctor Geoffrey Plant in the Kehoe Practice is a very nice and patient doctor, I have been to him about 6 times over a 3 year period for different things and always found him very pleasant to deal with and he will give you more than enough time to describe your problem to him.

I was going to move to him last year but I was informed he spends most of his time in Ferybank which isn't suitable for me. There are numerous good Doctors out there but appointments with some of them are like gold dust.
    I'm currently with Dr Sean Hogan in he new place by Farran Park and I'm quite happy with him. He listens and cares about you and never rushes you (one time I was in with him for 25 mins). You will get him the same day if you ring early enough or if not the next day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭littlecat

Deirdre Plant or Sheenagh Macnamara in the Keogh Practice - find it easier to get an appt with Sheenagh and she's often in the practice in Lismore Park which is quieter than Ballybricken. Both excellent and have never felt rushed with either. My Dad is going to their brother Gus Macnamara and is very happy with him - don't know how quickly you can get an appointment with him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Dr Ryan in the medical centre is worth her weight in gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Never mind who the best doctor is, what I want to know is who's the best priest???

We already know who the second best priest is...: http://youtu.be/UWNx-7S-_dM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Gael23 wrote: »
    I was going to move to him last year but I was informed he spends most of his time in Ferybank which isn't suitable for me. There are numerous good Doctors out there but appointments with some of them are like gold dust.
    I'm currently with Dr Sean Hogan in he new place by Farran Park and I'm quite happy with him. He listens and cares about you and never rushes you (one time I was in with him for 25 mins). You will get him the same day if you ring early enough or if not the next day too.

Not wishing to disagree with your views on Dr Hogan but a family member of mine found him to be an extremely poor doctor. I don't want to go into details regarding this but I wouldn't trust him as a doctor at all. Given how hard it seems to be to get appointments with the "best" doctors in Waterford the fact that you can get an appointment with him on the same day is possibly worrying.

Anyway, as I don't have a doctor myself I cannot recommend anyone. The family member referred to above is now using the Keogh practice and seems to be happy with them for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I use The Keogh Practice and will usually take whoever's going, but recently I saw Dr. Gus McNamara and will use him from now on. Found him great. Very knowledgable and approachable but at the same time I got a bit of a no-nonsense vibe, but in a good way!

lassykk wrote: »
    Not wishing to disagree with your views on Dr Hogan but a family member of mine found him to be an extremely poor doctor. I don't want to go into details regarding this but I wouldn't trust him as a doctor at all. Given how hard it seems to be to get appointments with the "best" doctors in Waterford the fact that you can get an appointment with him on the same day is possibly worrying.

Anyway, as I don't have a doctor myself I cannot recommend anyone. The family member referred to above is now using the Keogh practice and seems to be happy with them for now.

To me a Doctor is useless no matter how good they Are if you can't see them when you need them. I can easily say who the best doctor in Waterford really is in my opinion, that's Ita Creavin. But you will be waiting 2-3 weeks to get an appointment with her
    When I went to Dr Hogan first I had a pressing health concern that could have been quite serious and he dealt with it (still is). He did some tests on me which gave abnormal results and told me to come again so I know he really follows up on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

To me a Doctor is useless no matter how good they Are if you can't see them when you need them. I can easily say who the best doctor in Waterford really is in my opinion, that's Ita Creavin. But you will be waiting 2-3 weeks to get an appointment with her
    When I went to Dr Hogan first I had a pressing health concern that could have been quite serious and he dealt with it (still is). He did some tests on me which gave abnormal results and told me to come again so I know he really follows up on things.

As I said I don't want to imply that I'm right and your wrong on this. I'm glad you are having a good experience with him but what I implied was that in my opinion if he was considered good he wouldn't be available on the same day. I could be wrong on this but just my opinion.

I'd have no problem going to him for something like a chest infection but after what happened I wouldn't go to him about anything that could be more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Dr Darragh Brennan in Johnstown is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was in the Brenner Clinic for years, and they were excellent. Unfortunately they closed, so I moved to the Keogh Practice in Ballybricken. Terrible experience. Impossible to get same day appointments even if you ring first thing in the morning.

I'm now in The Surgery on Mayors Walk. Fantastic service in there, always appointments available, and they go above and beyond. Highly recommended.

I was in the Brenner Clinic for years, and they were excellent. Unfortunately they closed

I wasn't going to say but I got caught up in that too. At the time I was given no choice but to go to Dr Hogan but now if happy with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

reading all these stories is making me very angry. ireland desperately needs a free health care system urgently, amongst other major changes to our health care system. dreadful system

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    reading all these stories is making me very angry. ireland desperately needs a free health care system urgently, amongst other major changes to our health care system. dreadful system

Forget free.....we already pay for it many times over.
    Efficient and user friendly would be nice though.

Forget free.....we already pay for it many times over.

exactly why it should be free! dreadful system. if many countries can do it, ireland can. we have a diabolical public service system for the taxes we pay and its sadly not gonna change

As I said I don't want to get into it but what happened with the Brenner Clinic was nothing to do with it not being free.
    Also I think a free system would be abused , there should be some small fee to discourage unnessecary visits.

As I said I don't want to get into it but what happened with the Brenner Clinic was nothing to do with it not being free.
    Also I think a free system would be abused , there should be some small fee to discourage unnessecary visits.

totally disagree. these systems work pretty well around the world. theres enough taxes going into the system now to make it happen. having fees is causing serious problems for families. im sure theres ways of dealing with abusers but fees is not the answer. our current system is a cost creative system

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭littlecat

This might sound very smart and I don't mean it to be - but if you have a practice with only so many doctors, how do you avoid them getting booked up?? The Keogh Practice have an emergency doctor in the morning and afternoon that you can turn up and queue for but otherwise how can you guarantee a same day appointment when you phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Are you having a laugh?

littlecat wrote: »
    This might sound very smart and I don't mean it to be - but if you have a practice with only so many doctors, how do you avoid them getting booked up?? The Keogh Practice have an emergency doctor in the morning and afternoon that you can turn up and queue for but otherwise how can you guarantee a same day appointment when you phone?

Maybe I'm missing something here but even doctors in a small practice can get booked up. When I was in the Brenner Clinic, you would always get a next day appointment at least and the same day if you rang early enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

wouldn't that make it harder to get an appointment? :S

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh?

no im really not and im becoming very disturbed with the amount of irish people who think its a bad idea. believe it or not, all of us will need to deal with the hse at some stage in our lives, some more so than others, and some with very serious health problems. having financial barriers in a health system is a recipe for disaster, and its cost creative. its sad to see many irish people seem to think a health care system is a privilege that only the ones that pay enough into it, should avail of it. irish people pay incredible amounts in taxes. we should have a health system like the nhs, french system, canadian system etc, for the taxes we pay but i can see all this is falling on deaf ears. very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

The Manor Medical Centre is where I take my family. I find them very good and very reasonable.

http://manormedicalcentre.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

no im really not and im becoming very disturbed with the amount of irish people who think its a bad idea. believe it or not, all of us will need to deal with the hse at some stage in our lives, some more so than others, and some with very serious health problems. having financial barriers in a health system is a recipe for disaster, and its cost creative. its sad to see many irish people seem to think a health care system is a privilege that only the ones that pay enough into it, should avail of it. irish people pay incredible amounts in taxes. we should have a health system like the nhs, french system, canadian system etc, for the taxes we pay but i can see all this is falling on deaf ears. very sad.

We have a public health system that although two tiered isn't as terrible as it's made out to be. Yes waiting times and overcrowding are issues and could be reduced but I've been through the system (minor injuries only thankfully) both public and private, care on both occasions has been great. The only difference I found was that the wait time.

Wasn't the NHS severely thrashed in report a few weeks ago for their wait times, response times etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭eagerv

I have used primary care in many countries including those mentioned previously.

In my view if you are sick we have probably the best in the world, where else would you get to see a family GP at such short notice. It's often as quick as 1 hour if using the out of hours emergency GP services. And often the same Doctors as being mentioned in this thread. And 60 Euro is pretty good value. Try getting a plumber at 1am!

Advertisement