Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Daytripper 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 orwellian

Friday has been removed from the website and now its only 4th and 5th July being advertised .

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Wonder will it have much impact on the festival, disappointed after waiting on the announcement to have the Friday scrapped

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Nypd wrote: »
    Wonder will it have much impact on the festival, disappointed after waiting on the announcement to have the Friday scrapped

think it might be a good thing to be honest for the longevity of the festival. im sure it ll go well. best of luck to all involved. im sure everybody will have a great time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I see on their facebook page that Maverick Sabre has been added to the Sunday lineup as a co-headliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Is DayTripper confirmed as a two day event this year then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Anybody going to this??

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Gavlor wrote: »
    Anybody going to this??

Line up last year was fantastic. Not going this year though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

UB40 on sat night. looking forward to night out. With the one in kerry going bust and another one in Kk i heard cancelled, people can make an effort to support these things or they wont be happening again, its as simple as that really. if you are one of the ones that whinge about lack of choice in music acts, then really, you have no business being anywhere else.

IMO, its not much money, sure UB40 arent my favourite band, just like Madness and Paloma Faith werent but i found its always good to support local and maybe next year they will have that bulgarian death metal band i really want to see:D. added to that, both times i have gone have been really good nights, well organised, some great support acts, etc.
    You can go to the local/same pubs all year so when opportunity to do something a little different comes up in Waterford, we should grab it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hopefully going the Sunday

In fairness Waterford people are greedy and don't support anything that is not cheap. If something is half price Waterford people will be down the street queing.

Going to acdc on Wednesday in Dublin and that cost 97.50 for a ticket and that only has one support band while you can get 2 days at daytipper for half the price .

Come on Waterford ye have plenty of money open your wallets lol

Day tripper next weekend and the Munster final the week after 2 good weekends for Waterford

@ maxpowers and pth2009 both of you make very good points but for a person that use to go to a lot of concerts, ive actually never been to daytripper and ive no regrets. there just hasnt been anything of interest for me but im delighted to see this festival continue to happen. its fantastic for the town. i wish the lads running it the best of luck and i hope those of you going, have a great time. i knew about the festival in kerry being cancelled but i didnt know about the one in kilkenny. thats worrying. i think the recession is really kicking in. i just cant afford to go to the amount of concerts i use to do but i cant complain. i, like everybody else has to be very choosy what i go to now. was tempted though to buy an ac/dc ticket yesterday but the day would cost me a fortune. let us know how it goes and enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hopefully going the Sunday

Going to acdc on Wednesday in Dublin and that cost 97.50 for a ticket and that only has one support band while you can get 2 days at daytipper for half the price .

quality's better than quantity :p

who is actually on last sunday Maverick Sabre or The Darkness. Only going to see The Darkness really so would not mind they came on before Sabre so i can leave early and go to the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭MentalMario

What type of crowd is expected on each day?

Will it get 2k per day?

How did ub40 go

I have a ticket for the darkness which says hosp on it what does that mean ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

PTH2009 wrote: »
    How did ub40 go

I have a ticket for the darkness which says hosp on it what does that mean ??

It means you can skip them and go directly to the hospital to get yourself checked out... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

What type of crowd is expected on each day?

Will it get 2k per day?

Well you're the mental one, you tell us??

The bar setup was farcical last night.

Proper amateur stuff

Proper amateur stuff

how were the fecken bands?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    how were the fecken bands?

Dunno, I couldn't hear them over the moaning of the crowd about the bar!!!

Soul2soul were only ok, although they kept saying "hello Dublin" and eventually said Waterford, Dublin

Ub40 were better than I thought they'd be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Proper amateur stuff

Bar was great last year, buy token from outlet on the way to bar then buy a beer with token. No queues and effective. What change was made this year

• Advertisement

thomasm wrote: »
    Bar was great last year, buy token from outlet on the way to bar then buy a beer with token. No queues and effective. What change was made this year

Same system but just two hatches selling the tokens. No crowd control at the bar then until after ub40 started.

I reckon they might have got caught by the fact that almost everyone came in after 8.30!!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

Bar set up was a joke, no control whatsoever and €6 a pint is pure robbery!
    Soul II Soul and UB40 were great tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Good to hear that they are committed to coming back year

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Revvy

This was a great night (Saturday) and its great to see a live festival like this in the city. The place had a fantastic buzz about it, good crowds, well behaved and it was really comfortable to watch the bands.

So this critism is intended to be constructive ...... I queued for 10 mins to get a drink, this was about half seven, thats fine, no problem with that, the way it worked was you bought drinks ticket vouchers (€6 each for a pint of Ale, Lager or Cider) just before you got to the bar, the bar staff then just handed out the pint on receipt of the voucher, no paying, getting change, receipts, etc. etc. ....... makes sense

Just before I got to the ticket booth, I was informed by an official that I could (if I wanted) buy numerous tickets and with these tickets I could go straight to the bar the next time and not have to go through the queueing process for the drinks vouchers again. Great, I bought 8 between both of us. The first two times worked well and I was able to just present my vouchers at the bar, later, at about 10.30 or so with my last pair of tickets, I approached the bar, they had closed off the side entries to the bar and I was told that I would have to go to the vouchers queue once again, the queue at this stage was, I would guess, about 45 mins long. I declined as I didn't want to miss UB40 and leave my partner on her own for this length. So I was left left with €12 worth of usless drinks vouchers.

I felt a little hoodwinked, being told one thing, handing over the cash based on this advice and than they moved the goalposts.

All in all though, it was a great night and I understand things can go a little awry sometimes.

Went last night and enjoyed it.

The darkness were good but done a short enough set with no encore and didn't really interact with the crowd much. Really great to have a real rock show in our own backyard.

No doubt maverick Sabre is talented but not my cup of tea and he done a good set but a lot people were talking during it. He would not of been strong enough to headline a night on his own.

Heard smash hits and riptide movement from a distance and they were quite good.

Bar wasn't too bad but cider was watered down a bit. Saw a few down there a bit worse for ware and we're just there to be seen no interest in the music

Glad it's coming back next year but who would be headliners. Someone like status quo or the stranglers would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

How is it possible to water down cider ?

Anyways went Saturday to see UB40, was a good show and worth the money, only complaint was the bar, seemed to be far too small for the size of the crowd that was there, token system worked ok until it got busy and then it turned into a farce.
    There was lots of irate people queuing for over priced beer the €6 was far to high a price.
    Got a free ticket for Sunday night on entry, I found the crowd and atmosphere to be worlds apart, no atmosphere and low numbers crowd seemed uninterested when Maverick Sabre was playing.
    Left after that as I had an early start on Monday and had zero interest in the darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Had a great night saturday, thought soul 2 soul were great myself. I agree with most on here, bar queue was a bit of a pain alright and 6€ for pint of clonmel stuff wasnt great but sure you kinda expect to be paying way over the odds for not great beer at all these things. I read in the N&S that they said it was a success which is brilliant and that they will learn lessons from bar mistakes this year for next year...fair enough.
    Roll on next year in the gas works site they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭dzilla

The bar situation has been like that the last 2 years. They need to sort that, its simply enought, position the vouchers cabin out of the line of the bar queue

The human league would also be a perfect fit for 2016 daytripper. There playing at a feile festival in Belfast and it's similar acts to daytripper.

The one thing I find about daytripper it's always full of washed up former big bands but it sells. There's a big MOD/ska following in waterford. We are never going to get a big act such as Bruce Springsteen, ed sherran, kings of Leon etc unless a rich businessman comes on board and a proper venue is chosen. Walsh park would be suitable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Great weekend. They were so blessed with the weather, both in the city and in tramore. Imagine if Monday's weather arrived on Saturday? There would be a lot of business people lighter in the pockets.

€6 for a pint and €2 for a can of coke is a bit much but that's what you pay in Slane and all the other festivals so can we really complain?

Advertisement