Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats the worst area in dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

summerhill? darndale?

I live near summerhill and it's not that bad, the neighbours are ok. Lived in Darndale for a year and a half, got used to the bonfires everywhere at halloween and the joyriding on the mini bikes! The only bad point my my landlord being threatned by the next door neighbour who accused us of letting our burglar alarm go off all day (it was disconnected BTW but we didn't tell him that. Seriously, i diddn't mind living in either place and i don't care about walking through summerhill on my way home at twilight.

In my view Glasnevin is the worst area, pretentious and the 'Blackrock of the Northside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Brooklyn Gray Plow

donaghs wrote:
    Yeh, and the local authority tenants are getting brand new houses with front and back gardens, courtesy of those taxpaying foreigners and suit-wearers, crammed into the apartments.:confused:

Really?, is that so?..

Tell you what. Go tell that to my brother and his 11yr old son, plus my sister and her one yr old son, both still living in my parents house and who have been refused housing in Ballymun in favour of foreigners, oh despite the fact that we've lived in the area since 1969.

Both my sister and brother work full time, but can not afford a deposit on a house before you hit me with that one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Mairt wrote:
    Really?, is that so?..

Tell you what. Go tell that to my brother and his 11yr old son, plus my sister and her one yr old son, both still living in my parents house and who have been refused housing in Ballymun in favour of foreigners, oh despite the fact that we've lived in the area since 1969.

Both my sister and brother work full time, but can not afford a deposit on a house before you hit me with that one.

Tell them to check out DCC's Shared Ownership Scheme,mate.Thats how i bought a gaff,you only need 1300 as a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

donaghs wrote:
    Yeh, and the local authority tenants are getting brand new houses with front and back gardens, courtesy of those taxpaying foreigners and suit-wearers, crammed into the apartments.:confused:

So should we just chuck them out on the streets because they can't afford to buy a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mairt wrote:
    Really?, is that so?..

Your lot from the Mun Mairt? What part yis from? my family have been out in sillogue since the beginning.

TBH the so called regeneration is a sham. Prime Public land sold off at knockdown prices to private buyers so they can make a fortune of it. Im sure 10-15 years from now it'll be the subject of the usual tribunals :rolleyes: . Meanwhile the natives are rehoused in the scraps of land left around the edges. Many of the new houses are alright but a lot of them are bloody awful. Open your living room window and you'd be in your neighbours kitchen

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote:
    Your lot from the Mun Mairt? What part yis from? my family have been out in sillogue since the beginning.

TBH the so called regeneration is a sham. Prime Public land sold off at knockdown prices to private buyers so they can make a fortune of it. Im sure 10-15 years from now it'll be the subject of the usual tribunals :rolleyes: . Meanwhile the natives are rehoused in the scraps of land left around the edges. Many of the new houses are alright but a lot of them are bloody awful. Open your living room window and you'd be in your neighbours kitchen

Balcurris and Poppintree.

Yes apart from myself and another brother the rest haven't escaped.

And yes the whole thing is a sham.

And about the rezoning etc. I drove through Northwood last week with my wife. She wanted to go to B&Q and told her about spending my youth in the forest that used to cover the area.

Have you seen Poppintree and the high density housing up there now?.. Wow, I dread to think what that place will be like in a few year's when the developers are out and Ballymun/Poppintree is left to fend for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭crushproof

Dyflin wrote:
    Not necessarily the worst in Dublin, but I'll second Dun Laoghaire as a dump. A sister of a mate of mine saw a lad killed in Abrakababra years ago, a fight in the queue and he fell and snapped his neck off the counter IIRC. There are regularly screaming matches between drunks along the main street during daytime and some of the locals pubs are dodgy as fcuk.

Typical generalisation, have you visited any of these "dodgy" pubs? I don't know of any pub in Dun Laoghaire where you get hassle, even O'Loughlins (a classic time warp with all the "dodgy" hard locals). Sure there are fights on a weekend night, sure doesn't this happen everywhere?
    I live in Dun Laoghaire and I've lived in a lot of other places and I can tell you that Dun Laoghaire comes out on top. everything you could want on your doorstep.
    Of course there's gonna be trouble, you get that in any densly populated suburb!!

And btw, there are fights in every fast food joint in every town in the country in the early hours of the morning!!

Mairt wrote:
    Balcurris and Poppintree.

Yes apart from myself and another brother the rest haven't escaped.

And yes the whole thing is a sham.

And about the rezoning etc. I drove through Northwood last week with my wife. She wanted to go to B&Q and told her about spending my youth in the forest that used to cover the area.

Have you seen Poppintree and the high density housing up there now?.. Wow, I dread to think what that place will be like in a few year's when the developers are out and Ballymun/Poppintree is left to fend for itself.

Its actually a miracle they left ANY of santry woods standing but there doesnt seem to be any end to the amount of building going on in that area.

Degsy wrote:
    Its actually a miracle they left ANY of santry woods standing but there doesnt seem to be any end to the amount of building going on in that area.

Yup, really I just think they're repeating the mistakes made in Ballymun in the past, its horrible.

TBH its not as bad as it could be..at least its within handy reach of the city centre and you've got a decent bus and nitelink service as well as proximity to the m50 and the airport.Look at areas like Tyrrlestown and Clonee where people are being charged dublin prices for huge housing estates out in teh middle of nowhere,whats it gonna be like in 12 or so years when all the kids grow up at the same time to discover there's exactly nothing to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mairt wrote:
    Yup, really I just think they're repeating the mistakes made in Ballymun in the past, its horrible.

Amen to degsy and mairt, wonder how people will feel in ten years about the fact that theyve paid half a million to live on an estate in navan or somewhere with no facilitites and tons of kids hanging around...same old same old.

Though in all fairness i dunno what northwoods is like, havent been up that way in yoinks. But there was f**k all of santry forest worth saving from what i remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭crushproof

touché, some of the esates being built are gonna be proper ghettos in some years time! Miles away from schools, shops, garda stations, any facilites whatsoever. Sure where I work we're always getting reports of anti social behavior in the newly isolated estates of Co. Meath. Only 2 gardai on duty in the local station that is miles away and none on duty at night!! So put 1 and 1 together and what do you get.......:confused:

Ah well sure, what can we do, sure didnt we all vote for the Fianna Failers back into gov! Sure they've been doing a brilliant with hsoung and planning in recent years :rolleyes:
    The new west Tallaghts will all be over 50 miles from town, so us Dubs wont need to worry....navan, portarlington, Dundalk, arklow........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

as bad as the regeneration is, the area has become much nicer in recent years, it used to be pretty scary to walk through there at night without someone who knew the way around the scum. you used to have to be so careful, if asked where you're from or do you know bla, the wrong answer and you better hope you can run faster then em!
    still though, nowadays it has gotten much nicer.
    edenmore and darndale are the areas id be wary of, everywhere else, their bark is much worse than their bite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

pwd wrote:
    Makes me want to move to..... TALLAGHT *gasp* Seriously, the place is a bland lacklustre suburban nightmare.

I can arrange a house swap with my parents if you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dublinlad12345

crumlin is a fookin kip,n i mean a kip..
    n if bin in al ur ballymuns n darndales so i can make a gud comparison..
    its full of guns,drugs,joyriders,robbers n pretty much everytin bad u can find in dublin city..
    in an aroun pearse park/windmill road/captains road/derry park n drive are horrible places day and nite..
    down aroun de flats on rutland n sundriv park ar also dives..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my eyes!! my eyes!! text speak makes me cry!, saying that, i have relations on captains road so dont diss them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

its full of guns,drugs,joyriders,robbers n pretty much everytin bad u can find in dublin city..
    in an aroun pearse park/windmill road/captains road/derry park n drive are horrible places day and nite..

What in the good name of Jesus did you just say?

For the love of sweet baby Jesus what did that lad just say?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

I'll Translate

"Crumlin is one of my less favorable locations in suburban Dublin. I would like to emphasise this. I have travelled to many places in Dublin, such as Ballymun and Darndale so in my honest oppinion I feel I have enough experience to be able to make an accurate comparison between the three. The area itself is littered with firearms, illegal substances, joyriders and thieves, along with other undesirable elements found in other parts of Dublin City. Particularly degraded areas such as Pearse Park, Windmill Road, Captains Road, Derry Park and Derry Drive are among the most dangerous areas I have seen. In the vacinity of Rutland Park along with Sundrive Park are also headfirst jumps into a swimming pool."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Mr.Plough wrote:
    I'll Translate

"Crumlin is one of my less favorable locations in suburban Dublin. I would like to emphasse this. I have travelled to many places in Dublin, such as Ballymun and Darndale so in my honest oppinion I feel I have enough experience to be able to make an accurate comparison between the three. The area itself is littered with firearms, illegal substances, joyriders and thieves, along with other undesirable elements found in other parts of Dublin City. Particularly degraded areas such as Pearse Park, Windmill Road, Captains Road, Derry Park and Derry Drive are among the most dangerous areas I have seen. In the vacinity of Rutland Park along with Sundrive Park are also headfirst jumps into a swimming pool."

:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

pwd wrote:
    No messin' but Ballsbridge is actually a horrible place to live. I know its regorded (lol) as the Control Centre of the Southside but honestly the place is a chauvinistic nightmare. Image obsessed status climbers on every tree-lined avenue, its enough to give even its most famous export Ross O'Carroll Kelly a complex! Makes me want to move to..... TALLAGHT *gasp* Seriously, the place is a bland lacklustre suburban nightmare.

I recently had some friends sucked into this vicious status obsessed circle, I think they are now beyond help. One of them has even resorted to telling people hes from Drumcondra, even though hes actually from Tallaght. This life leads to everyone you meet being false, everyone telling lies, out of fear of being singled out as not part of the clique. very sad !.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

most areas with high density of counsil housing are rough areas

Nail on the head.

Biggest ****hole I've ever lived in was Ringsend - burning tyres being rolled at Fire Engines etc. Nice. Though of course they blame it on bad eggs coming from East Wall :rolleyes: Snobbery is not confined to 'posh' areas you see....
    every tree-lined avenue.... a bland lacklustre suburban nightmare

Yes, that truly sounds like hell. It would be much better to live somewhere gritty and 'real' like Tallaght. To quote Jello Biafra "what you need my son, is a holiday in Cambodia".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Degsy wrote:
    TBH its not as bad as it could be..at least its within handy reach of the city centre and you've got a decent bus and nitelink service as well as proximity to the m50 and the airport.Look at areas like Tyrrlestown and Clonee where people are being charged dublin prices for huge housing estates out in teh middle of nowhere,whats it gonna be like in 12 or so years when all the kids grow up at the same time to discover there's exactly nothing to do?

Mmmm, Tyrrelstown, a 5 minute spin from Blanchardstown Centre, 35/40 minute drive into the city centre on weekends and evenings. 2 Bus Services to and from the city centre and a nitelink that terminates there. It's only about 8 miles from the city centre, much closer and easier to get to than the 10 miles or so some places in Tallaght are in relation to the city centre.

More or less the same goes for Clonee except due to the N3 it takes that bit longer at rush hour to get into the city centre. And both are within the confides of Dublin thus the "Dublin Prices", although some parts of Clonee may be strecthing it a bit.

Neither are in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Finglas West is by far to me the biggest kip I've ever experienced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I think Dundrum/Cornelscourt has to be up among them.

I always thought these areas were ultra-posh but my mind has been changed drastically with that €6m drugs seizure by Dundrum Divisional Drugs Unit(garda) yesterday.(http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0803/drugs.html?rss)

It wasn't even soft drugs alone, it was hard drugs as well that was seized.
    Heroin, cocaine, ecstasy, cannabis...plenty of diversity there for the local dealers to supply the locals.

They have an anti-drugs unit for a reason in Dundrum, wouldn't fancy living there despite the flash exterior of their shooping centre.

Jay D wrote:
    Finglas West is by far to me the biggest kip I've ever experienced

Yea thats pretty sh*tty alright. But as bad it that area is have you ever been up around Cherry Orchard in Ballyfermot?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Mairt wrote:
    Yea thats pretty sh*tty alright. But as bad it that area is have you ever been up around Cherry Orchard in Ballyfermot?.
    my cousin lives there but I lived in Finglas like

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

gurramok wrote:
    I think Dundrum/Cornelscourt has to be up among them.

I always thought these areas were ultra-posh but my mind has been changed drastically with that €6m drugs seizure by Dundrum Divisional Drugs Unit(garda) yesterday.

A drug seizure can happen anywhere and it does not reflect on the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭nickyjellybaby

Hi,

Maybe those of you who live or work in Blanch might fill out my survey as was posted in the other thread...

I'm trying to get an idea of the advantages and disadvantages of Blanchardstown for a thesis I'm doing on the Planning of the area and its subsequent effects ie, transport, crime, social exclusion etc

Many thanks

here's the link

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=_2bm8R_2bjQCwsWUgQY112if_2bg_3d_3d

Nic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Dub13 wrote:
    A drug seizure can happen anywhere and it does not reflect on the area.

In this particular case, frightened locals were on the radio hoping this seizure will stem the flow of illegal drugs in their area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement