Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-09-2019, 23:11   #1
Danye

A government without FF / FG involved. Has it ever happened?

Hi all,

Political novice so apologies but has this state ever had an elected government without neither FG / FF involved?

Thanks.
Advertisement
13-09-2019, 09:51   #2
is_that_so

The answer is No. Some version of them or their forerunners has always formed the government.
Thanks from:
13-09-2019, 09:52   #3
mattser

Long may it last. The alternative is mayhem.
Thanks from:
13-09-2019, 12:24   #4
Gunmonkey

So, has our country ever elected a government not containing either of the 2 parties who usually hold anywhere between 50 and 65% of the votes combined in every election....I'm gonna go with no.
13-09-2019, 14:12   #5
Matt Barrett

No. It's really quite impressive. They have supporters blaming parties and politicians who never sat in government for everything they don't like, like housing issues, health, standard of living, the myriad crashes and sweet deal wastes of tax payer money. And then we've the 'the others would be worse'. So basically being able to switch from one to the other gives the illusion of change and teaching one a lesson by voting for the other, when they are the same people looking after the same kinds of people for the same reasons.
When FF get in with FG as the back scratching partner we'll see much the same we do currently. It's all about getting power and keeping any options outside of FF and FG out. FF and FG work together to keep each other as the only viable options. Slick, if not great for the country.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-09-2019, 16:54   #6
Jim2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Barrett View Post
When FF get in with FG as the back scratching partner we'll see much the same we do currently. It's all about getting power and keeping any options outside of FF and FG out. FF and FG work together to keep each other as the only viable options. Slick, if not great for the country.
Nonsense. FG and FF get in because the represent the views of the majority of the voters in the country. It is as simple as that, no magic or anything else. Either you propose policies the the voters buy into or you don't make the grade end of story.
13-09-2019, 17:31   #7
Matt Barrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2007 View Post
Nonsense. FG and FF get in because the represent the views of the majority of the voters in the country. It is as simple as that, no magic or anything else. Either you propose policies the the voters buy into or you don't make the grade end of story.
I think you are speaking the obvious. Where did I say any different? Just giving my two cents on how two sets of the same blarney take turns conning the electorate.
13-09-2019, 17:37   #8
jimmycrackcorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Barrett View Post
I think you are speaking the obvious. Where did I say any different? Just giving my two cents on how two sets of the same blarney take turns conning the electorate.
How is the electorate being conned? FG stated before the last election that they were in favour of water charges. They tried to bring it in but as a minority government weren't able to.
Still became the largest party.
13-09-2019, 17:56   #9
Matt Barrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorm View Post
How is the electorate being conned? FG stated before the last election that they were in favour of water charges. They tried to bring it in but as a minority government weren't able to.
Still became the largest party.
Look having voted for Enda in 2011 in the genuine belief FG were the best option suited to drag us back from the FF created brink. I bought all the no more quangos, change the way we do business, more accountability, end the hospital trolley scandal guff. More fool me. I'm not going to write the very long list of where not only this didn't happen but we went further and since made FF viable again, IMO, by giving them a seat at the table.
Again, never said they didn't get a lot of votes, was explaining why they (FF/FG) do, IMO. And as a former FG voter, I was conned. I would expect I'm not alone.
FG have to shoulder responsibility for bringing us right back to square one post melt down. And I say that's just how FF/FG like it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-09-2019, 11:47   #10
Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Princess Consuela Bananahammock's Avatar

"I've said it before, and I'll say it again: democracy simply doesn't work"
- Kent Brockman.

This sums it up for me: "the others will be worse" or "the alternative is mayhem" would actually make very honest party slogans.
Thanks from:
14-09-2019, 20:06   #11
L1011

Nearest we had was an attempt for a Labour led minority government supported by FF externally in 27 - but that is still involvement if they're required to keep the Government intact.
14-09-2019, 20:13   #12
Montage of Feck

The Whigs controlled the last parliament before the act of union in 1800, if that counts.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion