Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-12-2019, 13:46   #1
DulchieLaois

Crappy presents - Candles

After another season of eating loads, drinking anything, I reflect on the presents that my wife has received.

Over the last few years, my poor wife must have received candles from her friends and my family and tbh, I am sick of this just another candle which we are sure that it’s a pass me on candle from somebody else and yet we invest time and money into their presents.

I think going forward, no more present shopping for everyone is the best solution.

What are people thoughts on this.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-12-2019, 13:47   #2
punisher5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by DulchieLaois View Post
After another season of eating loads, drinking anything, I reflect on the presents that my wife has received.

Over the last few years, my poor wife must have received candles from her friends and my family and tbh, I am sick of this just another candle which we are sure that it’s a pass me on candle from somebody else and yet we invest time and money into their presents.

I think going forward, no more present shopping for everyone is the best solution.

What are people thoughts on this.
Wife can't get enough of the Yankee candles
27-12-2019, 13:50   #3
Posy
Warm and cosy

I think it depends if you like candles or not, to be fair! Plenty of people love candles.

If she doesn't like candles, she should tell those who buy her presents that she's beginning to get tired of receiving so many.

Surely it's the thought that counts anyway, no?
(3) thanks from:
27-12-2019, 13:56   #4
Loughc

I love candles. Since we got a dog we live for smelly candles to neutralise the smell of dog in the house. They’re so cosy and certain Yankee candle smells remind me of Christmas.
27-12-2019, 14:04   #5
Posy
Warm and cosy

Yankee candles aren't cheap either, I think they're a lovely gift.
Advertisement
27-12-2019, 14:06   #6
yerwanthere123

Be grateful for what you get.
27-12-2019, 14:07   #7
punisher5112

If she didn't get anything she would moan, she gets something she moans then it spills over to the fella and he moans..... It's a moany cycle.
Thanks from:
27-12-2019, 14:08   #8
Postgrad10

We went through a stage of that, member of the family being a teacher. Haven’t received any in a while and we seem to have got through them during various storms/ power outages. You never know when they’ll come in handy.
27-12-2019, 14:16   #9
Purgative

Quote:
Originally Posted by DulchieLaois View Post

Does your wife like candles? Has she complained?

Quote:
That's what we do. We just buy for the kids.

Lets face it we live in the affluent first world, if any adult really wants or needs something, they go and get it.

Think though come the next power outage you'll both have the last laugh.
Advertisement
27-12-2019, 21:07   #10
Space Dog

Reminds me of this SNL skit...

https://youtu.be/_L5Xkb78KxY
(4) thanks from:
27-12-2019, 23:27   #11
Day Lewin

I love candles. They make the house look homey, bright and festive.
Welcoming and warm.

They will always get used - and many of them have a nice smell added. Bring them on!

That being said, I went through a spell when the choir I was in always used to have Kriskindels and mine was always a candle.
I eventually expressed that it felt a little bit desperate and impersonal to get this stream of candles, - as if nobody knew who I was!
-- and the very next Christmas, my present was a tiny picture frame with a teeny photo of me in it, cut from a group photo.
I was charmed to the hilt! So kind. I still have it.
(4) thanks from:
27-12-2019, 23:29   #12

I have one sister I don't like and I get her a candle every year. Not a good one either this year it was from the 2 euro shop and it wasnt even 2 euro it was 1.50
27-12-2019, 23:44   #13
endacl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Lewin View Post
I eventually expressed that it felt a little bit desperate and impersonal to get this stream of candles, - as if nobody knew who I was!
-- and the very next Christmas, my present was a tiny picture frame with a teeny photo of me in it, cut from a group photo.
I was charmed to the hilt! So kind. I still have it.
Ever been stuck for a tiny picture of yourself during a power cut?

27-12-2019, 23:57   #14
screamer

This is exactly why the adults in my family and in laws don’t do presents. So many people buy something for the sake of it, and it’s not needed nor appreciated by the recipient. We just say don’t waste your money buying me something I don’t want or need and I’ll do the same. We give s house pack instead biccies choccies wine whiskey and gift cards for the kids.
(5) thanks from:
28-12-2019, 01:34   #15
Postgrad10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Tired View Post
I have one sister I don't like and I get her a candle every year. Not a good one either this year it was from the 2 euro shop and it wasnt even 2 euro it was 1.50
Fair enough. It’s the thought that counts ( wink emoji).
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion