Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-07-2013, 01:34   #1
R0ot

Send a message via MSN to R0ot Send a message via Yahoo to R0ot
Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Other thread was 8 months + old, so for those that have no idea what this is or perhaps a better word is "will be", it's going to be a giant space simulator persistent one server trading/economic game. Think Eve Online from the cockpit view but much more detailed than that description does it justice.

After you watch all the below I'd be interested to know if anyone is considering joining the pledge army or already have!

Promotional Squadron 42 video (basically the single player side)

From that same cinematic with have Chris Roberts (founder/creator) doing a in game fly around with one of the fighters basically showing that it's really not just cinematic.

Main Site - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/
Wiki - http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

There is a mountain of material on the main site in their comm-link, there are forums which are a little hard to follow and the Chat which actually has some pretty helpful people in there.

- My Part / Opinion -
So I saw this start of June 2013 and was like "meh" but seeing more of it made me turn from meh to fanatical about every update and thread I managed to grab myself a Rear Admiral package with the LTI (Life Time Insurance) which has turned into something very coveted. Even though this isn't available anymore I would recommend if you have 30-40e lying around to drop it into this game if it's your thing as community support is simply mind-boggling. Of course if you have more dosh around then there are more pricier pledges with better benefits but that's up to you.

They've hit the 14 million mark and very soon be at 15 million (320k as of this posting).

I'm joining the game with a load of old Eve Online mates and we'll probably form so sort of squadron but still in discussion.

Other great videos on the topic -

The ship I get with the Rear Admiral Pledge
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-07-2013, 01:43   #2
Kiith

Been following it since it was announced, and if it comes off as good as it sounds, it's pretty much going to be the best thing ever. Amazing in scope, but we'll see how much of it actually becomes a reality. Would definitely love to see some more gameplay, though i know it's still early enough days yet.

One thing i'm not so fond of, but understand, if giving players pretty advanced looking ships for backing the game. Will give people a pretty big advantage when it starts up.
23-07-2013, 02:29   #3
Moon54

I'm a Star Citizen backer too.

It's gonna be a fantastic game going by progress I've witnessed this last 6 months.
It really is aiming to be a truly immersive space sim experience,
and with Chris Roberts & the team I believe they can achieve it.

Btw, there was lots of great reveals in the 24-hour live-steam a few weeks ago.
Did anyone stay up for it?
I did, except for a few hours I crashed out, lol, it was chaotic at times but fun to watch.

The Constellation reveal at the end of the live-stream is a great example of
just how much work has been done already;

Amazing progress.
23-07-2013, 07:19   #4
SgtBob

Sounds interesting. Can't afford to back it now. But, might do next month.
23-07-2013, 08:20   #5
Dave_The_Sheep

Yeah, I backed it back when it was announced. If they pull it off, fantastic it will be.
Advertisement
23-07-2013, 12:14   #6
ShadowHearth

They are trying to do EVE online on Steroids in one go. Sorry, but I am a bit skeptical.

It sounds great on paper, but I doubt they will be able to pull it off with no cuts to content or mechanics. EVE online is huge now and it took years and years to get there. Thing is EVE online is not even near what this game promises to deliver.

I am all up for such game, but I will wait and see, before giving my money to them.
23-07-2013, 13:01   #7
Moon54

No, it won't be like Eve Online at all, lol, thank heavens!

Star Citizen will be a twitch-based combat space sim, think Star Wars.
It's basically going to be a 21st century combination of Wing Commander (Single player, missions, linear progression etc)
and Privateer (Open-world, Multiplayer, pirate, trade, scavenge... do whatever you like) game.
(2) thanks from:
23-07-2013, 13:10   #8

This hasn't been on my radar at all but after looking at the vids and reading up on it, it's definitely something I'll be picking up.Think I'll be waiting closer to the beta , to get it.
23-07-2013, 13:30   #9
ShadowHearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon54 View Post
No, it won't be like Eve Online at all, lol, thank heavens!

Star Citizen will be a twitch-based combat space sim, think Star Wars.
It's basically going to be a 21st century combination of Wing Commander (Single player, missions, linear progression etc)
and Privateer (Open-world, Multiplayer, pirate, trade, scavenge... do whatever you like) game.
I am not sure how they will make this mmorpg/single player work. Are they talking about sub too?
Advertisement
23-07-2013, 13:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHearth View Post
I am not sure how they will make this mmorpg/single player work. Are they talking about sub too?
From the wiki, it looks like they're going with a guild wars model, as in pay for the game and no subs. People will also be able to host private servers, so I don't think its going to be like EVE with just one persistent world on one server.At least that's what I've read so far, could be wrong.
23-07-2013, 13:42   #11
ShadowHearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
From the wiki, it looks like they're going with a guild wars model, as in pay for the game and no subs. People will also be able to host private servers, so I don't think its going to be like EVE with just one persistent world on one server.At least that's what I've read so far, could be wrong.
So some people say one big world, some say private server based. I am a bit confused.

Most likely it might be something like DayZ so?
23-07-2013, 15:21   #12
R0ot

Send a message via MSN to R0ot Send a message via Yahoo to R0ot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
There will be one official universe, one shard or whatever you want to call it but private servers will be possible.
(2) thanks from:
23-07-2013, 15:31   #13
kowloon

Following this closely.
24-07-2013, 11:45   #14
Andy Gravity

Backed this osme time ago by buying 2 ships, looking forward to it but it does sound like Chris Roberts is promising a lot, I got hints of Molyneux while reading/listening to some of the stuff he's been saying.

I'm cautiously optimistic.
24-07-2013, 11:57   #15
BizzyC

Bought in ages ago on this, cant remember how much exactly, think it was the 2nd tier level, so a slightly better than starter ship.

Should be interesting.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion