Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Who Will The Dems pick in 2020
Harris 43 9.64%
Bernie 105 23.54%
Clinton 19 4.26%
Brooker 8 1.79%
Biden 137 30.72%
Gillbrand 5 1.12%
Oprah! 23 5.16%
Warren 69 15.47%
Klobuchar 5 1.12%
Michelle Obama 27 6.05%
Cuomo 5 1.12%
Voters: 446. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
29-07-2018, 12:40   #46
Agricola
Registered User
 
Agricola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
He would be best suited as a campaign manager than an actual candidate
Yep he definitely would be a very shrewd campaign manager but I just think a large section of America has gone down an "anti establishment, anti millionaire celebrity" rabbit hole and if the Dems put one of these people up against Trump in 2020, it will be grist to his mill. Maybe they need a showman to unseat a showman.

I don't know Avenatti's politics but he seems a typical democrat, centre left type. I imagine for many voting in two years time, his politics will be secondary to seeing an end to this freakshow.
Agricola is offline  
Advertisement
29-07-2018, 13:00   #47
Accumulator
Registered User
 
Accumulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,635
Way too early to call yet, Mr Facepages has (had) a slight chance, and his marketing spend would be very little, having deep reach to 1bn+ people.
No to mention huge wealth and vast metric profiling of the general public (globally). Likely too some deep AI-VR projects up his sleeve for later release.

Think he was considering it previously, perhaps encouraged now as shares are tanking (20% wipeout in 1 day).
Some analysts reckon FB/stock (as it stands) is in a death spiral, and at the end of a natural product lifecyle etc.

However he is severely lacking in any personality/charisma, and privacy issues will be even more of an issue by 2020.

Musk might be a better option, free space travel and hyperloop coast to coast would see him in.
Highly creative, he is also now showing a similar Tw' style to Donald, the new normal.
Accumulator is offline  
29-07-2018, 13:03   #48
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 2,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
Way too early to call yet, Mr Facepages has (had) a slight chance, and his marketing spend would be very little, having deep reach to 1bn+ people.
No to mention huge wealth and vast metric profiling of the general public (globally). Likely too some deep AI-VR projects up his sleeve for later release.

Think he was considering it previously, perhaps encouraged now as shares are tanking (20% wipeout in 1 day).
Some analysts reckon FB/stock (as it stands) is in a death spiral, and at the end of a natural product lifecyle etc.

However is severely lacking in any charisma, and privacy issues will be even more of an issue by 2020.

Musk might be a better option, free space travel and hyperloop coast to coast would see it.
Highly creative, he is also now showing a similar Tw' style to Donald, the new normal.
Musk was born in South Africa so he can't run(thankfully not tbh). Zuckerberg killed any chance of himself running given all his scandals as of late.
batgoat is offline  
29-07-2018, 13:13   #49
Accumulator
Registered User
 
Accumulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgoat View Post
Musk was born in South Africa so he can't run(thankfully not tbh). Zuckerberg killed any chance of himself running given all his scandals as of late.
Didn't prevent HC, and that small matter of a missing email server.

Indeed unless Zuckerberg re-invents himself as a Gates Foundation type, up to his arms in 'chardy work' he currently has a limited chance.

Musk would've been a better option, more practical, yet outside of the box solution driven.

Afterall, if he starts to get people in e-cars, 1200kmph pheunnamic vacum tube transport systems, and space flight, what else can he do?
Accumulator is offline  
29-07-2018, 13:18   #50
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 2,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
Didn't prevent HC, and that small matter of a missing email server.

Indeed unless Zuckerberg re-invents himself as a Gates Foundation type, up to his arms in 'chardy work' he currently has a limited chance.

Musk would've been a better option, more practical, yet outside of the box solution driven.

Afterall, if he starts to get people in e-cars, 1200kmph pheunnamic vacum tube transport systems, and space flight, what else can he do?
Don't particularly want to go down that line of discussion but pretty comfortable in fact Zuckerberg won't run. Musk in technology does not mean he's a capable politician. I personally don't think anyone with zero political experience should run.
batgoat is offline  
Advertisement
29-07-2018, 13:28   #51
Accumulator
Registered User
 
Accumulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgoat View Post
Don't particularly want to go down that line of discussion but pretty comfortable in fact Zuckerberg won't run. Musk in technology does not mean he's a capable politician. I personally don't think anyone with zero political experience should run.
That's what everyone thought about DT when he was 125/1.

You should read the old thread called Trump POTUS 25/1 from 2016. One mad lad said he spent the day driving around bookies wads at for HC @1.2 he was so sure of her win.

On actual election night I got some Trump at 9/1. Expect the unexpected.

If Musk is unable due to place of birth, he's out. Zuckerberg will only not run if he chooses not to, and if FB shares collapse, he'll need a new hobby. Oprah said she won't, but it only takes 1second to have a change of mind.

A non-politican can be a breath of fresh air in many cases, rather than a default option of wives of former presidents. Wasn't Barry a Chicago law lecturer or something before running?

Again all too early to discuss, best to waiting until mid 2019.
Accumulator is offline  
29-07-2018, 13:48   #52
pixelburp
Moderator
 
pixelburp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14,076
Not just here, but seen it elsewhere too and just can't work out the repeated mention of Zuckerberg as a political candidate. The whole thing seems patently absurd. He has no credentials and AFAIK no outspoken political beliefs that might mark him for future political activity. Most crucially though, he has a personality that'd make Ted Cruz appear charismatic and personable. Zuckerberg is a charisma vacuum.

Trump tapped into a resting discontentment with the political establishment, the coast-inland, urban-rural divide already bisecting America; a discontentment that then slowly translated into a sober realisation that electing someone neither experienced or interested in even the most basic of political norms can backfire spectacularly. I'd be a little surprised if voters went back to that particular well of the Stunt Candidate. President Trump is the Trickle-down theory finally mutating into the swollen behemoth already lurking in the wings: the lingering belief that the bigshot Tycoon-CEO would run a country better than those wasteful Political Elites (parking the cognitive dissonance over the fact Trump was not only a chaotic and intermittently disastrous business leader - but one of those very wealthy, coastal Elites supposedly being punished in 2016)

Last edited by pixelburp; 29-07-2018 at 13:53.
pixelburp is offline  
(2) thanks from:
29-07-2018, 14:07   #53
Professor Moriarty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post
Not just here, but seen it elsewhere too and just can't work out the repeated mention of Zuckerberg as a political candidate. The whole thing seems patently absurd. He has no credentials and AFAIK no outspoken political beliefs that might mark him for future political activity. Most crucially though, he has a personality that'd make Ted Cruz appear charismatic and personable. Zuckerberg is a charisma vacuum.

Trump tapped into a resting discontentment with the political establishment, the coast-inland, urban-rural divide already bisecting America; a discontentment that then slowly translated into a sober realisation that electing someone neither experienced or interested in even the most basic of political norms can backfire spectacularly. I'd be a little surprised if voters went back to that particular well of the Stunt Candidate. President Trump is the Trickle-down theory finally mutating into the swollen behemoth already lurking in the wings: the lingering belief that the bigshot Tycoon-CEO would run a country better than those wasteful Political Elites (parking the cognitive dissonance over the fact Trump was not only a chaotic and intermittently disastrous business leader - but one of those very wealthy, coastal Elites supposedly being punished in 2016)
Think of it this way. If an Obama, Bill Clinton or GW Bush were found and ran against Trump in 2020, how would they do?
Professor Moriarty is offline  
29-07-2018, 14:10   #54
Accumulator
Registered User
 
Accumulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post
Not just here, but seen it elsewhere too and just can't work out the repeated mention of Zuckerberg as a political candidate. The whole thing seems patently absurd. He has no credentials and AFAIK no outspoken political beliefs that might mark him for future political activity. Most crucially though, he has a personality that'd make Ted Cruz appear charismatic and personable. Zuckerberg is a charisma vacuum.
Agree on this, very dull. However he is very much goal orientated:

2009 - wear a tie everyday (wtf?)
2010 - learn Chinese
2011 - only eat animals he kills himself (wtf?)
2012 - code everyday
2013 - meet someone everday who's not on fb (hello there!)
2014 - write a thanks note everyday
2015 - read a new book every 2wks
2016 - code a new AI assistant
2017 - Visit all 50 states, meet community leaders
2018 - 'fix' facebook
2019?
2020? - Will become 36, thus allowed to run for POTUS

Has also recently hired a load of political goons (officials and ex-campaign managers) to run his foundation. He also gave away stocks/shares of fb (a new stock class), but is still in full control of fb - handy that if you were to, say 'resign due to aquiring a goverment position'.
Accumulator is offline  
Advertisement
29-07-2018, 19:00   #55
Townton
Registered User
 
Townton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgoat View Post
Harris would be my top pick at the moment however I think it's pretty probable we'll see a bunch of entirely unexpected names towards the end of next year. Focus at moment is midterms.
Ya an awful lot will depend on how the so called new "progressives" preform in the mid terms presuming they actually run a decent number of them. And even then simply winning solidly democratic seats will not be enough they will have to flip and preform well in swing seats presuming they even get the nominations for those seats, and of they do they will not have quite the same reception as in solid Democrat areas in fact some polls suggest they could have quite a hostil reception.

All that said if they do well then the candidates for 2020 will surly be more reflective of that grouping.
Townton is offline  
29-07-2018, 19:17   #56
O'Neill
Registered User
 
O'Neill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 79
Surprised at the low number for Bernie to be honest
O'Neill is offline  
29-07-2018, 19:35   #57
Dog Man Star
Banned
 
Dog Man Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 403
Elizabeth Warren is a fine Senator. I watched her lectures on the middle-class from 2008 before I knew who she was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akVL7QY0S8A

She just understands exactly where the US is going wrong, ripping off the middle classes, and is the very one who would actually help them.

Of course she won't be elected, but she is the only person who can reform America to grant universal health care and to grant free education.

Corporate America will hate her, hence any efforts to elect her will be thwarted, but the irony is because she understands exactly what is happening in the US, she will be nulled at the first hurdle.

Her lecture on YouTube lasts 57 minutes. Within 10 minutes, you will understand what she is trying to rectify. Sadly 10 minutes is 9.5 minutes more than voters have.

I will tell you this: if Elizabeth Warren was President, life would be a lot better for the vast majority of Americans.

PS: If you live in Dublin with your partner, are both working, and wondering why you are living hand-to-mouth, watch the link above. It explains everything.

Last edited by Dog Man Star; 29-07-2018 at 19:39.
Dog Man Star is offline  
30-07-2018, 00:31   #58
PopePalpatine
Registered User
 
PopePalpatine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Neill View Post
Surprised at the low number for Bernie to be honest
Not when you consider his age.
PopePalpatine is offline  
Thanks from:
30-07-2018, 23:05   #59
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Man Star View Post
Elizabeth Warren is a fine Senator.
Trump ( if he runs ) will rip her apart. Someone "strong" and articulate like Harris would be a much better choice imo.
2 Scoops is offline  
31-07-2018, 20:03   #60
Manic Moran
Moderator
 
Manic Moran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,584
Overheal makes a reasonable point on a primary challenge. It is not beyond possibility that a different person will be running against the Democrat. There is precedent, President Pierce was not nominated for a second term by his own party, granted, in the 19th Century, but as we all know, in Trump USA, nothing can be taken for granted. Then again, I don’t believe that the Ds should run on “who can beat Trump” but “who will win the most EC Votes, no matter the opponent”

There is certainly an argument that Harris will be the D nominee, she is very popular with the folks who will select the nominee. However, she is also a San Francisco liberal, such as Pelosi. We have evidence from recent special elections that success is coming from candidates who are disassociating themselves from the coastal democrats, meaning that there is an inherent uphill battle for Harris in the various swing states. They should be nominating a Democrat from a more centrally viewed State. It’s not as if Democrats don’t exist in Montana, Pennsylvania, Colorado or the like, but the D party is beholden to the coastal states for their election funding. To that end, the Ds have an internal discongruence which inhibits them. Absolutely not beyond the ability to surmount, but a handicap nevertheless.
Manic Moran is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet