Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-05-2019, 06:49   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory65 View Post
Any update on prices, travelling on this ship, etc..? Has anyone made a trip on it to Santander?
There's a huge thread with plenty reports from people who have used it last year. The thread is in the Cork City forum here on Boards
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-05-2019, 23:08   #17
ToxicPaddy
Baaanaaaanaaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory65 View Post
Any update on prices, travelling on this ship, etc..? Has anyone made a trip on it to Santander?
I made the trip from Santander to Cork last Sept.

The ferry is very basic, with a small canteen style dining area which is only open for a few hours for breakfast, lunch and dinner with limited food options. Prices are reasonable and I thought the food was not too bad but you wouldn't want to be a fussy eater.

The only other things on board are a small bar/cafe, a tiny shop and a big open plan seating area.

Wifi is pretty much non existent despite claims it's available and it's not available in the cabins.

There is nothing else to do apart from sleeping or drinking so its not ideal if you are travelling with young kids as there are no options for entertaining them for the 26 hours on board.

My other half doesn't have great sea legs so she pretty much spent the whole time in the cabin asleep. Suited me as I had my laptop loaded with films so was happy to chill out watching movies and sleeping only popping out for food or a coffee every now and again.

If you've no young kids and are happy with the basic amenities its perfect as it saves 12 hours of driving and the French motorway tolls.
(3) thanks from:
09-07-2019, 10:18   #18
yiddo59

Great to see the Cork to Santandar service continuing. Obviously BF are happy with the route and it,s doing better than than some would have us believe,

"Brittany Ferries has today confirmed names for its next ships. Kerry will be the name for the one-year charter vessel arriving in November 2019. As previously announced, this ship will cover the Cork to Santander route from November 2019 to November 2020".

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/...renewal-plans/
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 22:48   #19
Vic_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiddo59 View Post
Great to see the Cork to Santandar service continuing. Obviously BF are happy with the route and it,s doing better than than some would have us believe,

"Brittany Ferries has today confirmed names for its next ships. Kerry will be the name for the one-year charter vessel arriving in November 2019. As previously announced, this ship will cover the Cork to Santander route from November 2019 to November 2020".

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/...renewal-plans/
The primary reason for them leasing this ship is to allow flexibility to cover for the very late arrival of a new ship that is being built by the same shipyard as the WB Yeats which should have been delivered by now. They plan on using the Connemara as a cover vessel with a full French crew while the hired in ship stays on Cork - Santander.

This ship is a similar Visentini to the Connemara, Epsilon, Stena Horizon, etc and if anything it may be even a bit lower spec accommodation wise, some work may be done but there won't be any significant upgrade in on board facilities.

I don't think that this is in particular an endorsement of the viability of the route long term, BF had committed to a 2 year service, this lease will extend that by some months. That they haven't used the need for a cover vessel for their main routes as an excuse to pull the Cork-Santander route is an indication it isn't a hopeless case it's a bit early to be judging it a success either.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion