Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 MLB Regular Season Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Looking forward to another subway series this weekend hoping the Mets can win it again , on good form lately also

Good win last night although the recent record is a it deceiving. The Indians and Oriels are 2 of the worst sides in baseball at the moment although you still have to go out and beat them I suppose.

Tonight should be interesting. Pelf struggled with the heat his last start out and looked a bit rugged so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on. Hopefully he can keep the Yankee bats silent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

Go Padres

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Vasquez wasn't too bad last night, but the bats are worryingly quiet..
    Hopefully Hughes will keep the Mets bats quiet tonight and somehow the yankees wake up and start scoring..

Now thats more like it...

NEW YORK -- Mark Teixeira and Curtis Granderson each hit a two-run homer, Phil Hughes became the American League's second 10-game winner and the New York Yankees ended the New York Mets' eight-game winning streak with a 5-3 victory Saturday.
    The matchup between rising star pitchers with 9-1 records was won with the long ball. Hughes gave up two early home runs to Jose Reyes, but Mike Pelfrey yielded homers after allowing the leadoff batter to reach in the third and fourth innings of his worst start in six weeks.When given the lead, Hughes (10-1) held it -- a hallmark of his season. The 23-year-old right-hander has not allowed an opponent to tie or take the lead once the Yankees went ahead in 12 of his 13 starts. The only time his teammates failed to give him the lead was against the Mets and Pelfrey (9-2) on May 22, his only loss.The win ended the Yankees' three-game skid and tied Hughes with another budding star, Tampa Bay's David Price, who is 10-2, for the AL lead in wins. Hughes allowed five hits and three walks in seven innings. He struck out four and threw a wild pitch.Joba Chamberlain pitched a scoreless eighth, rebounding from a poor performance against the Phillies on Thursday night in which he gave up three runs without getting an out.Mariano Rivera pitched a perfect ninth for his 16th save in 17 chances.The Yankees scored more runs Saturday than they had in their past three games overall (four) -- without the help of shortstop Derek Jeter, who was a late scratch from the lineup because of bruised heel. He was hurt running to first Friday night in a 4-0 loss to the Mets.With Alex Rodriguez serving as the designated hitter, the left side of the Yankees' infield was manned by 25-year-old rookie Kevin Russo at third base and 24-year-old second-year backup Ramiro Pena at shortstop.The Yankees can even the 2010 Subway Series at 3-all Sunday, when they send CC Sabathia to the mound against Johan Santana in a pairing of former Cy Young Award winners. The Mets won two of three at Citi Field in May with Santana beating Sabathia in that series finale.Reyes homered on the game's second pitch but the Yankees answered in the bottom half. Brett Gardner and Nick Swisher hit singles to put runners on first and third with none out before Teixeira grounded into a 4-6-3 double play, allowing Gardner to score.Reyes connected in the third after Hughes walked No. 9 batter Henry Blanco for his sixth multihomer game. The ball just cleared the right-field wall several yards from where his first drive went out. Swisher leaped but did not get his glove over the top of the wall.Teixeira tied it with a two-run drive an out after Gardner got his second single to start the bottom of the inning, and Granderson hit a long homer to right after Pelfrey walked Posada leading off the fourth for a 5-3 margin.Pelfrey let the leadoff batter reach in five of his seven innings. He gave up five runs, the most he's allowed since giving up six to the Phillies on May 1, which ended the Mets' other eight-game winning streak this season.Reyes was retired in his final two at-bats. In the fifth, he was brought to one knee swinging at a 2-2 curveball for an inning-ending strikeout, and he grounded out to first in the eighth.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tumbling_dice

I know the Yankees are back scoring hatfuls of runs by now but this still made me laugh a little. I've been waiting for the Cubs' bats to wake up for months now. They beat the Reds 3-1 yesterday, going for 3-16 with runners in scoring position. They only won because the Reds couldn't hit Randy Wells. The first game of that series was on ESPN on Thursday evening. I'm watching them and thinking, this team won't score if they stay here all night. Once it went to extras it felt like just a matter of time before the Reds won. Lost 14-3 tonight. It's going to be a long summer checking the boxscores for these guys. What a bad team. Man, it must be great supporting the Yankees :-) No Strasburg in the All-Star team? Boo! Trust Charlie Manuel to ruin everything.

• Advertisement

Not only did the Cubs lose, they also gave up 7 home runs!

Oh god they did. Just had a look at mlb.com and this was the blurb they had up:

"The Reds launched seven home runs, including three by Drew Stubbs, to post their third victory of the four-game set at Wrigley Field. The Cubs' Tyler Colvin countered with his first multi-homer contest."

Well done Tyler but, overall, I don't think that, em, counts as much of a counter to SEVEN home runs... At least they're comically bad occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

sweet double play in Tigers/Twins game

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

19.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Triarius

Things are looking terrible for the Mets, swept by the Diamondbacks of all teams, the last game went 14 innings and only one hit against a bullpen that has been awful all year. The NL east looks like being a two horse race between the Phillies and Braves at this point (despite the mets being ahead of the phillies) looks like being another disappointing year for mets fans:(

• Advertisement

Triarius wrote: »
    Things are looking terrible for the Mets, swept by the Diamondbacks of all teams, the last game went 14 innings and only one hit against a bullpen that has been awful all year. The NL east looks like being a two horse race between the Phillies and Braves at this point (despite the mets being ahead of the phillies) looks like being another disappointing year for mets fans:(

Na na na na na na na na na na :P

Triarius wrote: »

Yeah, they're on a terrible run at the moment and haven't scored more than 4 runs since early July or something. As it as a west coast game last night it was still on when i got up this morning so I watched the last hour or so and the they just look lifeless. The only game on this road trip they won was one they robbed from the Giants. Thank God for bad umpiring!

The thing is if they'd gone ahead, K-Rod would have just blown the save anyway so at least we were saved that stress! And Ollie walking 2 shows his trip to the DL did nothing to sort him out.

It's not going to get any better either. They're up against the cardinals once they come home. To be fair, i expected them to be well out of the running by now and if anyone at the start of the season had said to me they'd still be in the race at the All-Star break I'd have laughed at them but the 'real' Mets are showing up now. Roll on 2011......

Na na na na na na na na na na :P

Yankees fan? When you were picking your team to support, what made you pick the most successful, richest and famous franchise then? (cough) Glory hunting (cough)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

bobby wade wrote: »
    19.gif

As a Southsider ....that made my day !!

I'll throw this one for good measure.

A man met a genie today who granted him one wish. "I want to live forever, " the man said. "Sorry" said the genie, "I'm not allowed to grant wishes like that!" "Fine," the man said, "I want to die when the Cubs win the World Series!" "You crafty bastard," said the genie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Triarius

Yeah, they're on a terrible run at the moment and haven't scored more than 4 runs since early July or something. As it as a west coast game last night it was still on when i got up this morning so I watched the last hour or so and the they just look lifeless. The only game on this road trip they won was one they robbed from the Giants. Thank God for bad umpiring!

The thing is if they'd gone ahead, K-Rod would have just blown the save anyway so at least we were saved that stress! And Ollie walking 2 shows his trip to the DL did nothing to sort him out.

It's not going to get any better either. They're up against the cardinals once they come home. To be fair, i expected them to be well out of the running by now and if anyone at the start of the season had said to me they'd still be in the race at the All-Star break I'd have laughed at them but the 'real' Mets are showing up now. Roll on 2011......

Things just got even worse for Ollie a walkoff homer in the 13th after pitching pretty well in the previous inning.

They looked great in the highlights of the last game but today it was back to lifeless batting and poor fielding from reyes didn't help matters.

There's still time to make a big trade that could add some power to the line-up and the braves lost yesterday and are losing to the Marlins at the moment so at least it's not all bad.

(Teixeira was definitely safe on that play btw:p)

That west coast trip really looks to have destroyed the Mets' season alright. They were playing above their level anyway. My friend is a Mets fan and he has been irrationally optimistic all summer (as you would be) but I could never see it. The lineup is pretty good, certainly a lot better than Atlanta's and not too far off (a fully fit) Phillies, but that is one smelly rotation. Santana's career path looks ugly to me. I think his ERA is superficially low at the moment and he's gonna see some nasty days ahead. Of course, I could be wrong. Still, if Ruben Amaro Jnr continues his mission to destroy the Phillies (seriously, Jayson Werth? I can't see the logic in shopping him. Could they not have afforded him if they hadn't given that stupid contract to Howard?) the Mets could be in contention with the Braves the next few years. Although if Minaya has anything to do with it.... 1st step Omar: Trade Kirk Nieuwenhuis for Ted Lilly. That would do very nicely.

That west coast trip really looks to have destroyed the Mets' season alright. They were playing above their level anyway. My friend is a Mets fan and he has been irrationally optimistic all summer (as you would be) but I could never see it. The lineup is pretty good, certainly a lot better than Atlanta's and not too far off (a fully fit) Phillies, but that is one smelly rotation. Santana's career path looks ugly to me. I think his ERA is superficially low at the moment and he's gonna see some nasty days ahead. Of course, I could be wrong. Still, if Ruben Amaro Jnr continues his mission to destroy the Phillies (seriously, Jayson Werth? I can't see the logic in shopping him. Could they not have afforded him if they hadn't given that stupid contract to Howard?) the Mets could be in contention with the Braves the next few years. Although if Minaya has anything to do with it.... 1st step Omar: Trade Kirk Nieuwenhuis for Ted Lilly. That would do very nicely.

I agree the Mets have been punching well above their weight this season and they're finally beginning to find their true level and i expect them to hover around .500 for the rest of the season.

But I have to disagree with you about Santana. He's always been a better 2nd half pitcher and in his last 5 starts he's only given up 3 ERs and has gone at least 7 innings in each of those starts. His season average is still only 2.79 despite having a couple of dodgy outings, especially the one against the Phillies. And if the Mets offense remembered how to hit when he's pitching he'd have a much better record than his 8-5 record.

Despite the Phillies playing well below what they're capable of, 6 games isn't too insurmountable a lead so I'd still expect them to be there or there abouts with the Braves at the end of the season. And if they add some pitching, they'll certainly be in business. Are they still in the running for Roy Oswalt?

Yeah his ERA is holding up, and you're right about the run support, but I doubt he's shocked by that. I remember early last year, seeing him a lot, he'd go seven innings give up one/two runs and lose the game, seemingly every week. But look at the way his strikeout numbers are going. He's under 6 per 9 innings now. His control has stayed solid, but with a guy who gives up as many fly balls as Johan, I find it hard to see how he's not going to get hurt with that few Ks. And the Ks are gone - his swinging strike rate has collapsed to just over league average. He can't get the ball past hitters anymore, or at least not close to how he used to. I agree he still has value, but his days as a top 5 pitcher are gone. And that's a bit sad, because I always loved watching him. I like Niese. Pelfrey's ok too. I don't know what the Phillies are doing trade wise. From what I hear they don't have much of a farm system past Dominic Brown after the Lee/Halladay trade. It's hard to see them getting Oswalt, but they need someone. Moyer could be gone, Kyle Kendrick isn't up to it. They should still have a good shot at the wild card. It would be very disappointing for Atlanta to lose out now, wouldn't it? Not for me, I don't have much love for the Braves but for them.

Yeah his ERA is holding up, and you're right about the run support, but I doubt he's shocked by that. I remember early last year, seeing him a lot, he'd go seven innings give up one/two runs and lose the game, seemingly every week. But look at the way his strikeout numbers are going. He's under 6 per 9 innings now. His control has stayed solid, but with a guy who gives up as many fly balls as Johan, I find it hard to see how he's not going to get hurt with that few Ks. And the Ks are gone - his swinging strike rate has collapsed to just over league average. He can't get the ball past hitters anymore, or at least not close to how he used to. I agree he still has value, but his days as a top 5 pitcher are gone.

Good foresight there, he got thumped around last night. Great performance from RA Dickey again today though. 8.1 innings with no runs. Just what the Mets needed.

Yeah the RAD man. He's hammering out the ground balls. He's pretty funny too. I liked his library of swear words when he was pulled out of that game last week. Just a few hours to the trade deadline now. I'm hoping the Cubs can get something decent from the Dodgers for Lilly and Theriot. If it's just filler though, I wouldn't be giving up Theriot. Lilly can go, he's gone anyway. Nice to see the Yankees supplementing their offence. I'm also a bit disturbed by the Oswalt trade. If the Phillies make the playoffs (and I'm guessing they will) that is going to be one tough rotation to beat, particularly if they go for a three-man. I don't want to see another Yankees-Phillies World Series though because I don't like either of them. Although I don't like the Braves either. These personal prejudices are a real burden sometimes. C'mon Giants-Rays!

• Advertisement

Yeah the RAD man. He's hammering out the ground balls. He's pretty funny too. I liked his library of swear words when he was pulled out of that game last week. Just a few hours to the trade deadline now. I'm hoping the Cubs can get something decent from the Dodgers for Lilly and Theriot. If it's just filler though, I wouldn't be giving up Theriot. Lilly can go, he's gone anyway. Nice to see the Yankees supplementing their offence. I'm also a bit disturbed by the Oswalt trade. If the Phillies make the playoffs (and I'm guessing they will) that is going to be one tough rotation to beat, particularly if they go for a three-man. I don't want to see another Yankees-Phillies World Series though because I don't like either of them. Although I don't like the Braves either. These personal prejudices are a real burden sometimes. C'mon Giants-Rays!

Last year's World Series was hell for me. There couldn't have been a worse line up for me as a Mets fan.

A-Rod finally reached 600 HRs today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

A-Rod finally reached 600 HRs* today.

Fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭aidan18

Hi All
    Any Atlanta Brave Fans out there.?

aidan18 wrote: »
    Hi All
    Any Atlanta Brave Fans out there.?

I'm not a fan but I really hate the Phillies so I'll be rooting for you guys in the NL East now that my Mets are out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Seattle Mariners...

pffft.

The rumors are swirling that the coach is about to be fired.

we can hope.

We've only been to one game this year and i've even pretty much stopped watching the games on tv. Whats the point when they lose every night?

This weekend we're going to a AAA game. Everett Aquasox.

*humph*

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Seattle Mariners...

pffft.

The rumors are swirling that the coach is about to be fired.

we can hope.

We've only been to one game this year and i've even pretty much stopped watching the games on tv. Whats the point when they lose every night?

This weekend we're going to a AAA game. Everett Aquasox.

*humph*

I know what you mean. It's hard to keep interested when your team is bad. Staying up until stupid o'clock to watch a half hearted effort from teams that are overpaid and and gone past caring is so disheartening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Should be a cracker tonight, fancy the Yankees -1.5 on paddypower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Should be a cracker tonight, fancy the Yankees -1.5 on paddypower.

Nice one!!!!

Advertisement