Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-09-2010, 10:20   #166
jack presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulelectronica View Post
Good win for the Mets v Phillies tonight.
Yeah but as is typical with Mets win, they try so hard to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. 4-0 after 7 and they then give up 3 in the 8th. This had blown save written all over it as well so it was nice that they saw it through.

I have two wishes for the remainder of the season. Firstly I hope they can get back to .500 and secondly i hope they can put together a streak of 3 wins, something they haven't been able to do since June 18!

It shows how far they've fallen when this is the ambition I have for the club in September. God, they're awful!
Advertisement
12-09-2010, 13:42   #167
paulelectronica

Watched the game live myself and at 3-0 there was a few times where they had the bases loaded but then just struck out. Poor season this year.
12-09-2010, 18:22   #168
jack presley

Not the best of starts today! Already a run down and were lucky to get out of the 1st being only 1 down. Looks like it's going to be one of those days. NFL for me then!

UPDATE: 3-0, Complete game shutout for Oswalt. Thank God I didn't stick around to watch that.

Last edited by jack presley; 12-09-2010 at 21:09.
16-09-2010, 01:02   #169
paulelectronica

Didnt watch that game either , missed the Pittsburgh gamer also were they won 9-1.
25-09-2010, 10:24   #170
theoldalfer

go Phillies, 11 in a row, 7 games up. playoff's here we come.
Advertisement
25-09-2010, 15:29   #171
paulelectronica

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldalfer View Post
go Phillies, 11 in a row, 7 games up. playoff's here we come.
Mets fan myself , reckon you`ll beat us again tonight . could it possibly be another Phillies Yankees world series ?
25-09-2010, 16:59   #172
jack presley

I can't see anyone topping the Phils in the NL but the AL is much more wide open. Tampa and the Twins both look very good so it's not a gimme that the Yankees win the pennant.
26-09-2010, 13:28   #173
tumbling_dice

I'm hoping the Padres win the NL now. I definitely hope they make the playoffs. There would be something pretty funny about the Braves missing out. The Twins look good in the AL, even if Morneau doesn't come back. I kinda hope the Rays win anyway. I have €15 on them but still, I'd like them to win regardless. Although as Billy Beane says, the playoffs are a crapshoot. The Cincinnati Reds could be your 2010 World Series Champions (please, God, no).
26-09-2010, 21:20   #174
theoldalfer

Quote:
Mets fan myself , reckon you`ll beat us again tonight . could it possibly be another Phillies Yankees world series ?
I was in shea 20 years ago when i was a kid, they still had most of their world series 86 team, straberry, hojo , doc gooden. they always seem to fall short at the end even then. i wouldn't mind another crack at the yankees, apart from the 1st game last year, the Phillies didn't perform to well
Advertisement
26-09-2010, 22:13   #175
jack presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldalfer View Post
I was in shea 20 years ago when i was a kid, they still had most of their world series 86 team, straberry, hojo , doc gooden. they always seem to fall short at the end even then. i wouldn't mind another crack at the yankees, apart from the 1st game last year, the Phillies didn't perform to well
They look pretty good at the moment. I know they've just dropped 2 but they are kind of meaningless games at this stage and they had won 11 before that. They're certainly the team to beat in the NL. But I wonder will a week of meaningless games make them a bit rusty when they come up against the WC team who'll probably have had to battle to the last day. I know their pitching will be rested so it can go either way I suppose.
27-09-2010, 21:56   #176
theoldalfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack presley View Post
They look pretty good at the moment. I know they've just dropped 2 but they are kind of meaningless games at this stage and they had won 11 before that. They're certainly the team to beat in the NL. But I wonder will a week of meaningless games make them a bit rusty when they come up against the WC team who'll probably have had to battle to the last day. I know their pitching will be rested so it can go either way I suppose.
I wouldn't say meaningless, they had a chance to clinch the east at home last night and they don't like loosing to the Mets just as much as the Mets don't like loosing to them. I don't think they'll ease up too much, the experance they have from the last few years should see to that. hopefully.
02-10-2010, 22:09   #177
paulelectronica

Like to see Tampa Bay clinch the American League East Division. Another disappointing season for the Mets . Changes need to be made for next season .
03-10-2010, 11:34   #178
jack presley

Quote:
Like to see Tampa Bay clinch the American League East Division. Another disappointing season for the Mets . Changes need to be made for next season .
Changes are being made, that's for sure as neither Minaya or Manual will be back but whether it will make a difference I don't know. It's a badly run franchise from top to bottom so unless the Wilpons sell up (not going to happen) only the names will change but the results will stay the same.
05-10-2010, 13:32   #179
paulelectronica

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack presley View Post
Changes are being made, that's for sure as neither Minaya or Manual will be back but whether it will make a difference I don't know. It's a badly run franchise from top to bottom so unless the Wilpons sell up (not going to happen) only the names will change but the results will stay the same.
Changes have been made . very quickly too .
http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/art...s_nym&c_id=nym

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion