Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-01-2018, 12:35   #76
John_Mc

I'm heading over to the 3 valleys at the end of February and think I'll buy my boots this time. I live in Limerick and won't be able to buy from S+R in Dundrum as even if I did, I wouldn't be able to go back to them easily looking for tweaks.

Any ideas of a ball park price for a good set of boots?

Thanks
Advertisement
19-01-2018, 12:59   #77
colly10

Mine we’re about 400 with the custom foodbed but got money off to make them that price.
I wouldn’t buy off the rack if that’s what you’re planning? If buying over there, try to get a recommendation for a fitter but be aware, they’ll be painful for a while if fitted, even if they’re a great fit there’s still some breaking in to do.

Ye could go to Hubert in S&R some Sunday. 3 of us got fitted and none of us had to go back so ye’ll probably be grand. Will need to break them in though
Thanks from:
22-01-2018, 14:35   #78
olaola

Just FYI, you have to book if you want to go to Snow & Rock for a boot fitting.
(2) thanks from:
22-01-2018, 20:02   #79
Rew

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaola View Post
Just FYI, you have to book if you want to go to Snow & Rock for a boot fitting.
My wife got a pair at the weekend in there. Really good service and spent ages with her.
Thanks from:
11-02-2018, 18:35   #80
kal7

Anyone got a metatarsal arch (the traverse arch in forefoot ie under ball of foot) support in a ski boot before?

My cousin needs one. Got a great fitting in S&R dundrum, I only noticed his dropped arch after this, while on our ski trip.

Boots and fit were good, but think this will help.

Don't know if such product exists. He is going to ask his podiatrist, she is also a skier.
Advertisement
11-02-2018, 21:33   #81
Mafra

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal7 View Post
Anyone got a metatarsal arch (the traverse arch in forefoot ie under ball of foot) support in a ski boot before?

My cousin needs one. Got a great fitting in S&R dundrum, I only noticed his dropped arch after this, while on our ski trip.

Boots and fit were good, but think this will help.

Don't know if such product exists. He is going to ask his podiatrist, she is also a skier.
Not sure but s&r do a custom mould liner which is fantastic. I use arch supports if I’m wearing non supportive or very flat footwear. The custom ones are excellent so might do the trick for individual issues.
Thanks from:
11-12-2018, 22:14   #82
aconnor

Can somebody explain what is a footbed in a ski boot? Do they come in a new boot anyway or are they an extra bit you put in like an insole in your shoe.
If they are an extra item, what are they for?
14-12-2018, 08:58   #83
stecleary

they are an insole. some boots come with them some don't, well worth getting a pair when getting boots, they fill all the extra space in the boot resulting in an even better fit
Thanks from:
15-12-2018, 11:30   #84
aconnor

Thanks for that. The boots I have are a fairly good fit anyway. The Salomon ones that are heat-moulded around your foot. The boot fitter gave me a size that fitted my heel properly, then stretched the front part wide enough to fit my caveman foot. Only a small bit at a time though, 3 days in a row, so they are not too big. The opposite of what I normally have to do when buying shoes.
Advertisement
17-12-2018, 08:07   #85
kal7

Hi,

why do professional ski racers have what looks to be power strap loose on boot in race?

Read one internet article that said a tight done power strap actually stops ankle flexion. Complicated anatomy reasons, looked like a properly scholarly one.

THE SHOCKING TRUTH ABOUT POWER STRAPS | The Skier's ...
https://skimoves.me/2015/02/13/the-s...-power-straps/

Should you use strap to get into boot then loose it??

Seem strange to me, might try and see, and would be contradicted by use of strong elastic band used by many racers.

No anything like a pro myself, but if ankle bend reduced would be bad.

Last edited by kal7; 17-12-2018 at 08:18.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion