Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-10-2008, 22:28   #61
juvenal

The Sox look lethargic, and in fairness to the Rays, they're playing some outstanding baseball at the moment. Not enough of Boston's go-to men are performing, Big Papi, Pedroia, the pitching staff.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rays take the series in Fenway tomorrow night tbh.
Advertisement
16-10-2008, 04:44   #62
juvenal

And the Phillies are in the World Series!

They've dominated the Dodgers for the series, and win 4-1, taking the last game 5-1. That's their first pennant since 1993

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rays join them tomorrow night. If the BoSox win tomorrow then there's no way the Rays will let a second chance slip back in the Trop.

It would be nice to see two new(ish) teams in the WS, although I'm sure the TV men won't be thrilled.
16-10-2008, 15:43   #63
wyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvenal View Post
And the Phillies are in the World Series!
Shhh! Don't tell Zuutroy, but there was a TON of Champagne there.

WYK
16-10-2008, 15:58   #64
zuutroy

Send a message via Skype™ to zuutroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyk View Post
Shhh! Don't tell Zuutroy, but there was a TON of Champagne there.

WYK
Oh well, at least Matt Stairs will be able to recount to his friends at the Blue Jays what the WS is like. So much for pitching wins championships. Joe Blanton, Jamie Moyer, Brett Myers?
16-10-2008, 16:19   #65
wyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuutroy View Post
Oh well, at least Matt Stairs will be able to recount to his friends at the Blue Jays what the WS is like. So much for pitching wins championships. Joe Blanton, Jamie Moyer, Brett Myers?
Jis got done watching the Red Sox V NYY 4/22/08 game or 22/4/08 for non-native baseballers
INCREDIBLE game.

Too bad bout the Sox this year. But go Phillies! I'm an old Mike Schmidt fan(and Pete Rose while he was with em, including back in 1980).

BTW, REINSTATE PETE ROSE! Pull that slimy bastard Shoeless Joe out of the HOF and put Pete in!

Wes
Advertisement
16-10-2008, 19:59   #66
Kinda32

Hopefully Dice-K can continue the series tonight.. Sox hitters need to do something at the plate. The last couple of games have seemed over after a couple of inns. Hopefully the crowd is in to it tonight cause fenway has never seemed so flat as the last couple of games (of course the team's play hasn't helped)..

p.s Shoeless Joe isn't in the hall of fame and seeing as the phillies were started in the 19th century, i don't think they would ever be considered a newish team!!

Come on the Sox!!!!!!
16-10-2008, 20:09   #67
juvenal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinda32 View Post
Hopefully Dice-K can continue the series tonight.. Sox hitters need to do something at the plate. The last couple of games have seemed over after a couple of inns. Hopefully the crowd is in to it tonight cause fenway has never seemed so flat as the last couple of games (of course the team's play hasn't helped)..
Indeed, although I just think we'll be delaying the inevitable

Quote:
p.s Shoeless Joe isn't in the hall of fame and seeing as the phillies were started in the 19th century, i don't think they would ever be considered a newish team!!

Come on the Sox!!!!!!
I meant "newish" in a success way - pennants and/or world series rings. Makes it a bit more interesting when the teams are outside of the traditional markets, i.e. Boston/NY/Chicago.

Last edited by juvenal; 16-10-2008 at 20:11.
16-10-2008, 20:28   #68
Kinda32

Quote:
Indeed, although I just think we'll be delaying the inevitable
Agree there, don't think we will see any comebacks like 1999, 2003, 2004 or 2007 this year..

To be fair to the rays, they have simply been the better team so far..
16-10-2008, 21:55   #69
wyk

Quote:
Hopefully Dice-K can continue the series tonight..

Come on the Sox!!!!!!
OK, KEEP Sheoless Joe out, and let Rose in! Or pull someone like Gossage out(truly an indication they are running out of choices...)

As for the phillies - They were known as the Phillies officially in 1890.

Go Phillies!

WYK
Advertisement
17-10-2008, 00:15   #70
zuutroy

Send a message via Skype™ to zuutroy
lol 1993. Thats all I got left.
17-10-2008, 01:13   #71
juvenal

WTF!?!

Top 1st, second batter, one on, BJ Upton puts a pitch into the seats atop the monster! Rays are up 2-0 in top 1 with none out.

Unreal the starts they've been having in the games here, they've been over by the 6th - they're slugging at everything and it's paying off
17-10-2008, 02:09   #72
juvenal

FFS! More back-to-back homers for the Rays - Pena and Longoria. Three homers off Dice-K tonight, they're playing unbelievable baseball, it's like batting practise!

Top 3rd, TB 5 BOS 0
17-10-2008, 05:30   #73
juvenal

Sensational comeback! I went to bed at bottom 6, got up again at top 8 and watched the rest of it. Boston have been ****e for about 24 innings, and then something lights a fire under them and suddenly it's all to play for in Game 6 with Lester Beckett on the mound. A couple of huge plays by the Red Sox have given then a fighting chance to get right back into this.

The Rays have been outstanding so far, although it will be interesting to see how they react to this loss. A lot of the Red Sox have been here before, whereas the Rays have far less experience at this stage of the season. I still thing they've enough of a cushion to win the series in two chances at the Trop.

If Lester Beckett can win Game 6, then it's Beckett Lester for Game 7 in what would be a one game play off for a spot in the WS.

Game 6 will be compelling viewing!

Up in 2.5 hrs - fook!

Last edited by juvenal; 18-10-2008 at 03:18. Reason: cocked up pitching rotation
17-10-2008, 08:51   #74
wyk

Wow. Just wow.

Quote:
Sensational comeback! I went to bed at bottom 6, got up again at top 8 and watched the rest of it. Boston have been ****e for about 24 innings, and then something lights a fire under them and suddenly it's all to play for in Game 6 with Lester on the mound. A couple of huge plays by the Red Sox have given then a fighting chance to get right back into this.

The Rays have been outstanding so far, although it will be interesting to see how they react to this loss. A lot of the Red Sox have been here before, whereas the Rays have far less experience at this stage of the season. I still thing they've enough of a cushion to win the series in two chances at the Trop.

If Lester can win Game 6, then it's Beckett for Game 7 in what would be a one game play off for a spot in the WS.

Game 6 will be compelling viewing!

Up in 2.5 hrs - fook!
17-10-2008, 09:16   #75
christeb

Pretty gutted and elated at the same time. Went to bed when Pena hit the 2 run jack off Dice K top of the 3rd. Was even thinking of throwing in the towel when Papi got booed in the first. What an inbox to arrive into work to though!

LET's PLAY BALL!!!!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion