Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-07-2017, 17:19   #31
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del.Monte View Post
What you seem to ignore is the stop-go machinations of the German forces that allowed the British to recover so much of their army - why did it happen? There is no definitive answer to that - at least as far as I know.
I didn't ignore it. The order to halt didn't originate from Hitler. Though he sanctioned it later. We have to look at in context of what was happening across the whole battlefield. Not just look at the ground forces in isolation in one area.

Even if we don't want to do that. H can't claim afterwards he wasn't really trying if he had heavy losses. It's not credible.

Last edited by beauf; 22-07-2017 at 20:12.
Advertisement
22-07-2017, 22:33   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac foley View Post
Leaving the 'Brits who loved nazis' argument aside for a moment, I've noted, looking at the trailers, that there is an ENORMOUS and glaring error in this movie, one that sadly cannot be rectified.

Without exception, every single British soldier portrayed in this movie has way too much hair.

The military SBAS of the day was rigorously adhered to by both unit barbers and the part-timers in the unit who possessed the machinery to carry out this vital part of the maintenance of good order and military discipline.

My late and much-missed Uncle Micky, who fought for the opposition, had a SBAS EVERY week of his rather curtailed life, bless 'im, and often noted that British and Commonwealth soldiers looked just like German soldiers from the neck up.

tac
A possible explanation for the hairstyles.......

If most of the cast had the same uniform and the same hairstyle it would be a nuisance trying to figure out who's who. Directors of war movies often go for actors who look distinctly different from one another to make it easier for the audience to identify the characters.
Thanks from:
22-07-2017, 22:49   #33
beauf

That's a plausible reason alright.
26-07-2017, 15:52   #34
Manach

I finally had to chance to view it and found it to be an excellent film. I was impressed by the directors use of sound, with that wail of the Stuka bomber being most unsettling. The numbers at the cinema were large, given the daytime showing, and comprised quite a large variety of ages so good to see.
(2) thanks from:
26-07-2017, 17:37   #35
Snickers Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Marx View Post
Sadly this is true...

In fact the main square in the Garda College in Templemore is still named after the fascist O'Duffy!
O'Duffy wasn't a fascist.
He was a militaristic, anti-democratic, anti-communist, conservative, arch-Catholic, arch-nationalist buffoon. Very close in outlook to Franco. But that's not the same as being a fascist.

Franco wasn't one either.
Advertisement
01-08-2017, 09:36   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manach View Post
I finally had to chance to view it and found it to be an excellent film. I was impressed by the directors use of sound, with that wail of the Stuka bomber being most unsettling. The numbers at the cinema were large, given the daytime showing, and comprised quite a large variety of ages so good to see.
I went to the cinema yesterday evening to watch that film as well. Impressive as it was and it appeared that the producers kept a certain Level of accuracy in the light of the reality of that time. What I found a bit curious was the change of daylight to night between the scenes. That small ship set out to Dunkirk from a port in Co. Devon in the morning. I presume that it takes some hours for such a ship to make the route to Dunkirk. All the scenes on that ship are set in daylight, whereas on Dunkirk beach it changes from daylight to night and daylight again. One gets the impression that the whole film is about one single day out of a row of nearly 14 days, which was the time frame of the whole evacuation in May/June 1940. They probably pressed some developments during that period into the depiction of about 24 hours to give an example and sumarise of the sheer horror those men have been in at that time. So, one gets the gist of what they´ve been exposed to. All in all, a good film and more impressive is that it differs from the usual glorification of war time in such films.

I´m sure that duing that evacuation period, the Luftwaffe committed some war crimes cos the bombardment of Red Cross ships is a war crime. Odd enough to say that the bombardment of other vessels which were not facilitated with a Red Cross Flag and mark it as a ship for the wounded, was no war crime cos the BEF didn´t surrender at Dunkirk beaches. But cruel it was anyway.

It is stated, from German history sources, that Hitler ordered the advance to stop at Dunkirk to give the Brits the Chance to escape in order to "gain" some advantage for negotiating a cease fire with the Brits after France has fallen. The German Generals pressed Hitler to continue the advance and make the Brits surrender. For practical reasons, it would had been some bid deal to facilitate the capture of 350,000 men to be taken PoW. On the other Hand, Hitler was quite confident with Goering ordering the Luftwaffe to attack and bomb the inclosed BEF at Dunkirk beach.
01-08-2017, 09:40   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers Man View Post
Quote:
Sadly this is true...

In fact the main square in the Garda College in Templemore is still named after the fascist O'Duffy!
O'Duffy wasn't a fascist.
He was a militaristic, anti-democratic, anti-communist, conservative, arch-Catholic, arch-nationalist buffoon. Very close in outlook to Franco. But that's not the same as being a fascist.

Franco wasn't one either.
I wonder what else do you understand by the term "Fascist" if not those who incorporated the very meaning of it in founding and in "practice" of the very ideology. The first Fascist was Mussolini and the others were copying him. Hitler, Franco, Mosely, O´Duffy et al followed the pattern he set.
Thanks from:
01-08-2017, 10:39   #38
whisky_galore

I've seen articles on members of the Irish Navy unofficially helping out in the evacuation.

Urban legend or not?
01-08-2017, 11:00   #39
whisky_galore

Quote:
It is a historical fact (which I have rarely seen seriously disputed) that a large section of the British establishment were sympathetic to Fascism and Hitler prior to WW2.
We could play the 'who loved Nazis/Fascism more' game all day, a significant proportion of the population here loved the idea of Britain getting a bloody nose and Germany somehow 'liberating' this country, although they wouldn't have had the faintest idea what Fascism meant, apart from dressing up and marching in formation a lot.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-08-2017, 11:07   #40
knucklehead6
SMILEY MINION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas__ View Post
I went to the cinema yesterday evening to watch that film as well. Impressive as it was and it appeared that the producers kept a certain Level of accuracy in the light of the reality of that time. What I found a bit curious was the change of daylight to night between the scenes. That small ship set out to Dunkirk from a port in Co. Devon in the morning. I presume that it takes some hours for such a ship to make the route to Dunkirk. All the scenes on that ship are set in daylight, whereas on Dunkirk beach it changes from daylight to night and daylight again. One gets the impression that the whole film is about one single day out of a row of nearly 14 days,
nope.

Spoiler: The film is set out telling three different stories, one from the perspective of the mole, one from the small boat and one from the air, and there are three different time frames referenced at the first scene involving each.

The first scene on the mole states one week, and the scenes there are spread out over on week.

This first scene of the small boat states one day, and it's scenes are spread out over the course on one day

The first scene of the air states one hour and the story is told from the flight time of one hour

Then all three strands come together at the end.
Thanks from:
01-08-2017, 11:11   #41
tac foley

'Co. Devon'?

That's a new one.

tac
(2) thanks from:
01-08-2017, 11:11   #42
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas__ View Post
... The German Generals pressed Hitler to continue the advance and make the Brits surrender....
I think some generals (and not all agreed) asked ask for the stop, then realising it was a mistake asked to continue. Hitler had to approve all orders.

Probably incidents like this that led to Hitler micro managing and removing and any independence of them later in the war.

I think the idea of Hitler doing it as some sort of altruistic act is a bit of revision by Hitler after the fact. Common trait of domineering people. They can't admit they made a mistake.
Thanks from:
01-08-2017, 11:12   #43
whisky_galore

Quote:
'Co. Devon'?

That's a new one.

tac

I think that's in West Brit(ain)
Thanks from:
01-08-2017, 11:13   #44
beauf

I'm not sure I would be so hung up on the timescale in a movie. Dramatic licence and all that.
01-08-2017, 11:13   #45

Quote:
'Co. Devon'?

That's a new one.

tac
All right, it´s called Devonshire. Damn it.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion