Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap and Cheerful Bean Recommendations

• 31-05-2020 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Any good recommendations for cheap and Cheerful beans? New to coffee beans and I'm loving the fresh stuff from Bell Lane like Supernova and Cloud Picker Sam but it's pricy enough when working from home and having a few cups a day! I'd love to find a good solid cheap bean to supplement the fresh stuff. Tried Lavazza Rossa and found it a bit bland, I like a strong cup.

A few people online recommended Aldi Italian 4 blend which is surprisingly nice but it's an oily bean and I've been warned that oily beans aren't good for a bean to cup machine.

Hoping such a bean exists! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ponaire, their blends are 6.50 for 250g or 22 for 1kg, free shipping for over 500g too. The best middle ground you'll find between supermarket beans and top shelf single origins, but still freshly roasted and a decent blend in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭alec76

I think I’ve only paid €24.50 delivered for 1kg Bell Lane beans last time.
    €22 for Ponaire beans hardly a bargain....
    Tried this one
    https://velocoffee.ie/collections/coffee-beans/products/bmx
    €3.99 in Aldi .... Definitely worth trying.....If you fancy Brazilian/Colombian beans in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

alec76 wrote: »
    I think I’ve only paid €24.50 delivered for 1kg Bell Lane beans last time.
    €22 for Ponaire beans hardly a bargain....
    Tried this one
    https://velocoffee.ie/collections/coffee-beans/products/bmx
    €3.99 in Aldi .... Definitely worth trying.....If you fancy Brazilian/Colombian beans in general.

I know somebody is going to give out to me for pointing this out but that Velo stuff in Aldi is only 200g - so €20 per kg - not much less than Ponaire/Bell Lane & the OP seems to be looking for a much cheaper price point.

I have found the Zambia beans in the brown bag in LIDL for 2.29 not the worst and drinkable when I tried them if you fancy a punt!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭breeno

I know somebody is going to give out to me for pointing this out but that Velo stuff in Aldi is only 200g - so €20 per kg - not much less than Ponaire/Bell Lane & the OP seems to be looking for a much cheaper price point.

I have found the Zambia beans in the brown bag in LIDL for 2.29 not the worst and drinkable when I tried them if you fancy a punt!

Interesting. That's the kind of price range i was hoping for! Not expecting miracles. Are they dark oily beans? Hoping to avoid those.

so €20 per kg - not much less than Ponaire/Bell Lane & the OP seems to be looking for a much cheaper price point.

I wouldn’t compare Ponaire vs Bell Lane, as i think they are different leagues roasters, but €20 for the kilo not very cheap, hard to argue....

• Advertisement

alec76 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t compare Ponaire vs Bell Lane, as i think they are different leagues roasters, but €20 for the kilo not very cheap, hard to argue....

Oh totally - I think Bell Lane are a super price point for the equality. I was just noting that the OP wanted an option a lot cheaper than this if I interpreted correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dball

i haven't gone down the road of Ponaire, Belllane and all the rest of them yet.
    I cant seem to justify the spend since buying a b2c mahine i notice that I (we at home) are going through about 1kg every 2 weeks..

From previous uses of moka pots and an Lidl espresso mach from years ago, I always enjoyed a Lavazza.
    I started buying a few different types of Lavazza online - mainly from Amazon but also form Discountcoffee.ie

I also chanced one of there owb blwnds - temple bar. https://www.discountcoffee.ie/temple-bar-espresso-coffee-beans-1kg

And at 8.99 KG, I have started to buy it instead of my old friend Lavazza,
    they have a number of the Lavazza options too at reasonable prices,

Oh totally - I think Bell Lane are a super price point for the equality. I was just noting that the OP wanted an option a lot cheaper than this if I interpreted correctly.

That's what I meant. I love Bell Lane but want add some cheaper beans to have here and there to keep the cost down.

dball wrote: »
    i haven't gone down the road of Ponaire, Belllane and all the rest of them yet.
    I cant seem to justify the spend since buying a b2c mahine i notice that I (we at home) are going through about 1kg every 2 weeks..

From previous uses of moka pots and an Lidl espresso mach from years ago, I always enjoyed a Lavazza.
    I started buying a few different types of Lavazza online - mainly from Amazon but also form Discountcoffee.ie

I also chanced one of there owb blwnds - temple bar. https://www.discountcoffee.ie/temple-bar-espresso-coffee-beans-1kg

And at 8.99 KG, I have started to buy it instead of my old friend Lavazza,
    they have a number of the Lavazza options too at reasonable prices,

The Temple Bar suggestion is interesting. Is it an oily/shiny bean? Is there anywhere that sells it to try it before getting a kilogram of it? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

These are in supervalu for €6.99 for 500g bag of beans. Not bad I have to say

https://slumberjackcoffee.com/products

• Advertisement

mad m wrote: »

Seem to be produced by Clandeboye agencies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

mad m wrote: »

I see them in aldi too, are they worth a rattle? Worse or better than the Velo beans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

JJ Darboven is what I have changed to, well their Eighty nine Brand. Variety of blends available and very reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

1kg Lavazza beans can be had for €12 - discount coffee and also Amazon and sometimes Tesco on offer.

Decent everyday beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭okedoke

I’ve bought a few bags of the velo beans in Aldi. All were very stale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Plus 1 for the Zambia beans there are surprisingly good they are m y go to bean when out and waiting for delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

I see them in aldi too, are they worth a rattle? Worse or better than the Velo beans?

I’ve had worse, break glass in case of emergency beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Cheers guys. My palate is unlikely to be as refined as yours with coffee, so if its good enough for you (or close to it), it'll likely be very good for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Cheers guys. My palate is unlikely to be as refined as yours with coffee, so if its good enough for you (or close to it), it'll likely be very good for me!

I was the same, I was buying expensive beans but I dont think I was able to tell enough of a difference compared to the cheaper beans I have experienced.

Thanks for the Lidl Zambia recommendations. Just tried it today and it's very good for the price(think they were €2.30 for 227g. They're just what I was looking for to compliment my fresh beans.

• Advertisement

breeno wrote: »
    Thanks for the Lidl Zambia recommendations. Just tried it today and it's very good for the price(think they were €2.30 for 227g. They're just what I was looking for to compliment my fresh beans.

Can everyone stop agreeing with this now please, or else they will be impossible to find in stock anymore! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

okedoke wrote: »
    I’ve bought a few bags of the velo beans in Aldi. All were very stale

I bought some Tandem this week.

Not impressed tbh. Could be my brewing methods but i find supermarket coffee better (Lavazza)

I may pop into the Cork Cafe sometime and get a cup of expresso to see what i should be getting.

Not impressed tbh. Could be my brewing methods but i find supermarket coffee better (Lavazza)

I may pop into the Cork Cafe sometime and get a cup of expresso to see what i should be getting.
    Agree with you on that one. Bought it ground a few months ago and just found it a bit plain and uninteresting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I’m not going to berate you for liking a very dark roasted coffee like lavazza but it’s an entirely different coffee to Tandem which is light to medium roasted.

I’m not saying Tandem is the best, it’s not, but it’s definitely had a LOT more flavour than lavazza. It’s a very good choice at a lower end budget wise.

If ground correctly it makes a nice espresso and imo an even nicer aeropress. Sweet tones.

Lavazza is a very very dark roasted coffee. Because it’s so over roasted there’s no flavour other than burnt to be had.

Light to medium roast is where flavour is to be had.

But again if someone wants that really strong overpoweringly burnt flavour of lavazza or other dark roasted coffees that’s up to them.

I just find it a strange choice.

I’m not going to berate you for liking a very dark roasted coffee like lavazza but it’s an entirely different coffee to Tandem which is light to medium roasted.

I’m not saying Tandem is the best, it’s not, but it’s definitely had a LOT more flavour than lavazza. It’s a very good choice at a lower end budget wise.

If ground correctly it makes a nice espresso and imo an even nicer aeropress. Sweet tones.

Lavazza is a very very dark roasted coffee. Because it’s so over roasted there’s no flavour other than burnt to be had.

But again if someone wants that really strong overpoweringly burnt flavour of lavazza or other dark roasted coffees that’s up to them.

LIdl’s Zambia not bad , although I had to set the grinder very fine , compare to my normal settings.
    Got 250g Slumberjack in Aldi for €3.49 , not my cup of tea..... it says “medium roast» premium beans. Definitely not medium, it is dark roast with oily finish ( would be alright for milky drinks though)

Well, I am not saying that Lavazza is fantastic, just that Velo is a boutique bean and yet it's not any better than STD supermarket fare.

Well, I am not saying that Lavazza is fantastic, just that Velo is a boutique bean and yet it's not any better than STD supermarket fare.

I really wouldn’t call Velo a boutique bean at all. It’s just roasted differently to the lavazza one.

As I said it’s not the best bean out there but at least it’s roasted properly and for what €4 a bag it’s very cheap

I really wouldn’t call Velo a boutique bean at all. It’s just roasted differently to the lavazza one.

As I said it’s not the best bean out there but at least it’s roasted properly and for what €4 a bag it’s very cheap

What would you suggest for a coffee bean newb? To sample a good, well sourced and roasted bean?

A standard, if you will.

• Advertisement

What would you suggest for a coffee bean newb? To sample a good, well sourced and roasted bean?

A standard, if you will.

I would suggest Bell Lane - €6.90 for 250g vs €5 for 250g of the Velo in Aldi. No comparison imo.

Advertisement