Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Putting people in their place.

• 10-08-2013 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭

So today my OH was buying a smart phone and the assistant was loving showing off how tech savy she was when she asked " You have wifi dont you" in a patronising way.
    My OH looked at me quizingly to which I replied " yea, we have two of them"
    This shut her right up and we bought the phone and insurance and left.
    Have you ever put some wise crack in their place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

did you give her some savlon for the burn?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

So your OH doesn't know what wifi is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I only ever think of something smart to say about 2 days later :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

"That's cute. I remember when I had my first beer "

Best put down to anyone who acts the gom ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Leaving a couple of hundred quid in her shop really put her in her place alright.
    That"ll learn her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

So today my OH was buying a smart phone and the assistant was loving showing off how tech savy she was when she asked " You have wifi dont you" in a patronising way.

This didn't happen or the way you have portrayed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

what did she do wrong asking a Qs:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Was in Dublin somewhere getting lunch and was sitting across from an American couple. A motorcycle courier came in with a small box and gave it to someone behind the bar, got a signature and left.

The lady says to the man 'what was that about?' to which he replied 'We had them at home before we had email they are called couriers' and as he said this his eyes met mine.

I looked at him and said 'Yes that's right, unfortunately we haven't rolled out teleporters here in Ireland and still need people to hand deliver packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

RachaelVO wrote: »
    I only ever think of something smart to say about 2 days later :mad::mad::mad:
    Know what you mean. I'll be back in 2 days. Hope it's good:)

Sorry OP, you have 2 what:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

I don't get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I don't get it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I had to explain this to Bishop Trevor Williams last week when he visited my school. He was taking questions and somebody said something to the effect of "with science religion isn't relevant" and he talked around his answer to it, didn't really say much and then started talking about scientists, namely Richard Dawkins who he said was "a terrible scientist" because he "denies the existence of any God(s), and as a scientist you can't make a claim like that." And as a scientist he should hold an agnostic view, and not be an atheist like he is. And he went on and said that about 5 different ways, trying his hardest to talk down about him, and once he had finished I just put up my hand and just quietly said: "Richard Dawkins is agnostic. He labelled himself a stage 7 agnostic so in the same way he doesn't deny the existence of any Gods, he equally doesn't deny the existence of aliens, but would believe in anything if there was real scientific evidence" (As claimed by Dawkins in his book 'The God Delusion.')
    And he just said; "Oh. I seem to have misrepresented him." And then there were about 20 seconds of awkward complete silence, followed by some laughter and then he awkwardly moved on.

He said "good boy" as I walked by him on my way out. Brilliant.

Putting someone in their place feels great when they have a deep rooted superiority complex so great that they walk around in purple robes telling people they know best. heh heh heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Tmeos

Nor do I she asked a perfectly relevant question and you answered some kind of gibberish. If the place you were trying to out her was idiot-town I fear you're already living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Not getting the joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

wesf wrote: »
    I don't get it
    OP said something daft, paid for the phone and insurance and still feels he walked out of there like a boss?

:confused:

wesf wrote: »
    I don't get it
    I'm glad it wasnt only me.
    Isn't that a bit like saying we have 2 electricities.

Ah, AH the great leveller

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flutterby80

I'm confused...2 what??

I'd say the person in the shop had a good laugh after you left op

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I don't get it either.

Bejaysus!!! I heard you were dead!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I don't get it.

Who am I meant to be cheering for in this anecdote?

• Advertisement

I don't get it.

The smart phone is smarter than the op?!

I don't get it.

Yourself of course:D

Oh and refer to my previous post:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

crockholm wrote: »
    Bejaysus!!! I heard you were dead!!:eek:

I don't do dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Perhaps the OP is tapping in to his neighbours broadband,in which case he could have two even three wifis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Ritchie and Eddie from Bottom go into a phone shop...

Perhaps the OP is tapping in to his neighbours broadband,in which case he could have two even three wifis.
    No, still singular. It's a technology, not an object.

I have 'IEEE 802.11b Direct Sequence' just didnt trip off the tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I don't get it.. but then I STILL don't know what a tracker mortgage is either :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I can has wifis?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I don't get it.. but then I STILL don't know what a tracker mortgage is either :(
    I don't know what a tracker mortgage is either but at least I've got two of them so there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Working and these nackers start wisecracking, 'dopey looking c*nt' and the uglies lad I've ever seen goes 'look like a cabbage' I was like 'dude, you have no hairline, your eyes are too close together, you have terrible skin, and have a double chin, also your pale as ****, go out and get the sun, then come back and call me that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement