Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hap rent limits?

Options
  • 14-01-2019 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I'm confused over the HAP rent limits.

I understand that you pay the difference, but do the caps mean the rental property can only cost X amount or that, that's all you'll get regardless of how much it costs and you pay the rest?

As in for example in Dublin, the rental limit for a single person is €660, so does that mean one can only rent a place that €660?

Given that properties don't exist at that price it would be good to understand how it works before I go house hunting lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I think that you would pay the difference between the €660 and the actual rent. This extra amount is paid directly to the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Could get a room in a sharded house for cheaper than 660, did you think of that as an option OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

660 is the max that DCC will pay for a single person. This is paid directly to the landlord by the council and the tenant contributes to this by making part-payment to the council based on means testing (I believe). Any other payments to the landlord would be under the table (not condoning this).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

660 is the max that DCC will pay for a single person. This is paid directly to the landlord by the council and the tenant contributes to this by making part-payment to the council based on means testing (I believe). Any other payments to the landlord would be under the table (not condoning this).

That was true of RAS but not of HAP. Tenants are allowed to make top ups now.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

Klonker wrote: »
    Could get a room in a sharded house for cheaper than 660, did you think of that as an option OP?

€430 is the shared accommodation limit for a single person. So that's a rate that is a bit more possible but still low.

Either way the same thing applies in regard to the question; is up to €430 all the room can cost or can rent you a place that costs more than that.

I suspect already if I get anywhere it will be shared. Either way, I have been preparing for the possibility of entering emergency accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Caranica wrote: »
    That was true of RAS but not of HAP. Tenants are allowed to make top ups now.

Ah I wasn’t aware. Thanks for correcting me!

Advertisement