Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Traffic on Headford road, Galway

Options
  • 22-12-2018 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, latest figures from the NRA/TII traffic counters say traffic on the Headford road into Galway has plunged by more than 40% since new M17 motorway opened!

Can anyone on the ground in Galway confirm this? Seems like an unexpectedly big drop, but great if true.

Comments

Hey guys, latest figures from the NRA/TII traffic counters say traffic on the Headford road into Galway has plunged by more than 40% since new M17 motorway opened!

Can anyone on the ground in Galway confirm this? Seems like an unexpectedly big drop, but great if true.

Let me see if I have this correct.

You have accurately measured data, collected through a standardised and recognised method,

but

you want anecdotal evidence that has no basis except beyond an individuals experience.

Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

It does seem an unusual location for traffic to fall due to the M17.

This is visible on the TII website, and may be relevant:
    TII has recently undertaken a significant programme of improvement to its Traffic Counter system. The number of Traffic Counter sites on the network has been doubled and new equipment has been installed at all existing sites. Testing of the new equipment and verification of data collected is currently underway. Until this process is finalised users should be aware that anomalies may exist in the system and hence the accuracy of the information presented for this year cannot be guaranteed. The testing process is scheduled for completion shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Yes, that's correct

You have accurately measured data, collected through a standardised and recognised method,

but

you want anecdotal evidence that has no basis except beyond an individuals experience.

Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

That's very telling, cheers.

If the figures are right, traffic on the Headford Road, kirwan roundabout and maybe even the notorious Bodkin junction should be much lighter now than two years ago.

Perhaps someone who drives regularly in Galway could clarify is this is true?

Bray Head wrote: »
    It does seem an unusual location for traffic to fall due to the M17.

This is visible on the TII website, and may be relevant:TII has recently undertaken a significant programme of improvement to its Traffic Counter system. The number of Traffic Counter sites on the network has been doubled and new equipment has been installed at all existing sites. Testing of the new equipment and verification of data collected is currently underway. Until this process is finalised users should be aware that anomalies may exist in the system and hence the accuracy of the information presented for this year cannot be guaranteed. The testing process is scheduled for completion shortly.

It is not plausible that the Headford Road would fall by 45% and the N83 (old N17) would fall by less than 20%.

The N83 is much closer to the new M17.

Was there any major road closure or road works perhaps?

Otherwise it looks like a data quality issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Is that correct?

I think the poster wants to have a conversation about traffic. That's the reason for the post. Maybe poster wants to know people's experience of this? Seems perfectly reasonable and natural to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

but

Is that correct?

Anyone with experience handling data knows that when there is a large, unexpected dufference, it's probably due to an error not a real change.

Anyone with experience handling data knows that when there is a large, unexpected dufference, it's probably due to an error not a real change.

Lol, no

my point was, anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anecdotal%20evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Like the construction of a massive motorway nearby maybe?

The M18 opened in 2016. No drop in Headford Road traffic occurred in 2017, just in 2018.

It is either a prolonged road closure or a big data quality issue.

Anyone in doubt about this should look at the numbers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement