Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do You Have To Take Breathalyser Straw

Options
  • 16-11-2018 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

A while ago a was breathalysed and the guard tried to hand me the straw afterwards to put in the bin myself. I politely told her she can keep her rubbish, and she was fine with that. But yesterday my Co worker was breathalysed and told the guard he didn't want to take the straw, the guard then got aggressive and forced him to take the straw. I'm just wondering if you actually have to take the straw by law?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kilroyss wrote: »
    I politely told her she can keep her rubbish
    i'd probably consider it more polite to just bin something you've had in your mouth, yourself, rather than handing it to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Bizarre, never heard of that happening. It's been a good while since I've been breathalised, but I never remember being given the straw afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

No you don't have to take it. Most guards would bring a plastic bag with them to dispose themselves. Any time I've been breathalysed the guards asks something like "would you like a memento from your experience?" As he hands me the straw. This is more a breaking-the-ice ploy as opposed to the guards not wanting to take their rubbish. I like this approach, as opposed them acting as robots reciting legislation for the roadside breathtest.

I dont think anyone disagrees with checkpoints set up to detect drink drivers?

OP Your friend says the guard got aggressive. You sure he didn't tell the guard to go **** himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

S10 (5) of the Road Traffic Act 2010 (as amended) in relation to mandatory preliminary breath tests gives Gardaí the option to indicate the manner in which the person is to conduct the test with them, the person must comply with this indicated manner.

The handing back of the pipe is part of the manner for testing as prescribed by the Medical Bureau of Road Safety, failure to take the pipe if requested is an offence under S10 (6) though I can't see such a charge ever actually being proceeded with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

GM228 wrote: »
    S10 (5) of the Road Traffic Act 2010 (as amended) in relation to mandatory preliminary breath tests gives Gardaí the option to indicate the manner in which the person is to conduct the test with them, the person must comply with this indicated manner.

The handing back of the pipe is part of the manner for testing as prescribed by the Medical Bureau of Road Safety, failure to take the pipe if requested is an offence under S10 (6) though I can't see such a charge ever actually being proceeded with.

I think that's arguable

If the person has provided their breath specimen in the manner prescribed I can't see refusing to take the pipe is or could be an offence

As in it would not touch upon the efficacy of the process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Does it really matter?
    Just put the thing in the bin... simples

People these days, seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

ELM327 wrote: »
    Does it really matter?
    Just put the thing in the bin... simples

People these days, seriously

Not everyone drives around with a bin in their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Not everyone drives around with a bin in their car.
    At home like, just leave it in the door pocket.
    You've blown into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

i'd probably consider it more polite to just bin something you've had in your mouth, yourself, rather than handing it to someone else.

It doesn't work like that though. The garda removes it from the intoxylzer and hands it to the motorist. Its the garda's equipment and they should be responsible for disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I have had an awful night and day. Really awful. And then to try distract myself I open Boards and read this. Really wish this was the worst gripe I had today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ELM327 wrote: »
    At home like, just leave it in the door pocket.
    You've blown into it.

It's their rubbish not mine so they need to dispose of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

It's unbelievable that you would start a thread on this. What a horrible attitude to other people going about their work day.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

My god how petty and horrible you must be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Last time I was brethalzyed he kept it and threw it in a bin bag he had hanging off the back of the squad car. Though if he asked me to take it I wouldnt of minded and would of just threw it in the bin at home. Its only a bit of plastic at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

You'd swear the tans were manning the checkpoints around the place the way peoples attitudes are to the gardaí.

Petty isn't the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

You'd swear the tans were manning the checkpoints around the place the way peoples attitudes are to the gardaí.

Petty isn't the word.

Tell that to Maurice McCabe.. Plenty of bullies are attracted to the power of the uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

If they kept the straws they may not have had such a hard time in counting the number of breath tests carried out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't the gardai know we're moving away from single use plastic straws anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Kilroyss wrote: »
    A while ago a was breathalysed and the guard tried to hand me the straw afterwards to put in the bin myself. I politely told her she can keep her rubbish, and she was fine with that. But yesterday my Co worker was breathalysed and told the guard he didn't want to take the straw, the guard then got aggressive and forced him to take the straw. I'm just wondering if you actually have to take the straw by law?
    I think you and your friend could do with the experience of an RUC checkpoint in years gone by. Somehow, I don't think you'd have the same attitude.

Petty in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Jayzus, who cares.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tell that to Maurice McCabe.. Plenty of bullies are attracted to the power of the uniform.
    This has nothing to do with garda bullying or McCabe.
    Snowflakes these days are even more delicate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Peter Denham

Sounds like your friend is a real blowhard.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I used to collect them. I’d regularly be driving at night and met plenty of checkpoints. Had over 30 in the glove box at one stage. Several times I had to ask to keep it to keep the count up.

What’s this thread about again?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Do I want to give a Guard a legally obtained DNA sample ?

Tough question.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tough question.

It’s a plastic straw. Not a tinfoil hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Tough question.

It's not legally obtained for the purpose of DNA testing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"No thanks, Guard. I already have a snorting straw."

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Esel wrote: »
    "No thanks, Guard. I already have a snorting straw."

Waaayyy too big for that unless you have a nose like Frank Bruno.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the gardia should be recycling all of these straws, not trying to pawn them off on motorists. Have they joined REPAK recently or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

the gardia should be recycling all of these straws, not trying to pawn them off on motorists. Have they joined REPAK recently or something?

Great, now our recycling stats will be over inflated:)

Joking aside, they have started doing this in Australia, but there was initially huge issues around it as they were technically classed as biochemical waste, the Environment Protection Authority there eventually allowed them be recycled following a campaign on the issue.

Advertisement