Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New RTE Weather graphics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Seen the forecast on the website and have to say, I don't mind the new look at all. Not ideal for sure, but still preferable to the old style.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

These first two seem fine to me, at least on the Player.

438494.PNG

438494.PNG

However, this one's bad. I never understood the difference between rain, hail, sleet and snow icons on Met Éireann's forecasts, on both TV and their website.

438496.PNG

The temperature map on television screen has no contrast like on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Daz9718

The new symbols are horrible , thought where supposed to be moving on with technology not go the other way 🙄🙄🙄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Seen the forecast on the website and have to say, I don't mind the new look at all. Not ideal for sure, but still preferable to the old style.

Yeah, I thought it was fine online and on TV too.
    But that red outfit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I'm not a fan of the general map with a cloud with three bits of rain coming out of it. It looks childish and lazy. Although I believe this was on the last graphics too. Other than that I can't say anything bad about new graphics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The internet him/herself has spoken, and decided the white on yellow is a AA/AAA fail with a ratio of just 1:1.8.
    Let's hope the weather warms up, as can't be doing with all this squinty eye - particularly for these skinny single digit temperatures.

5Cyfba7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Saw the rainfall radar tonight for the first time. Looks to have been upgraded. Also the topography map is a bit better if I'm not mistaken?

An improvement overall, they just need to work on a few icons which look like a 2 year old drew them with a box of crayons. But then so did the beeb's ones back in the day.

Their studio (not sure if it's in RTÉ or Glasnevin) also needs an upgrade to HD. Noticeable drop in quality and blurring during the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sdanseo wrote: »
    Saw the rainfall radar tonight for the first time. Looks to have been upgraded. Also the topography map is a bit better if I'm not mistaken?

An improvement overall, they just need to work on a few icons which look like a 2 year old drew them with a box of crayons. But then so did the beeb's ones back in the day.

Their studio (not sure if it's in RTÉ or Glasnevin) also needs an upgrade to HD. Noticeable drop in quality and blurring during the weather.

The BBC ones were simple (though how complex did they need to be?) but also very readable. Classic icons in my opinion.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The BBC ones were simple (though how complex did they need to be?) but also very readable. Classic icons in my opinion.

Oh I agree. I even had this when I was a kid, a plastic poster of the UK&I with stickers of those same icons you could put on :)

s-l1600.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Where has the forecaster gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Wtf was that about

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I hope this is not the new norm, and they were just having technical difficulties or Siobhan forgot her outfit!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mcw100

No weather forecaster after six o'clock news, just voice over..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Whatever the hiccup was, we still got the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Could all be down to the cut backs much talked about in rte, would not surprise me if they try to cut the weather forecast back to less than 2 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Saw the voiceover. I hope it was a technical glitch that forced them to do that and not that this will be the standard forecast from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Graphics look very very ordinary, such a pitty too because Met Éireann’s RTÉ’s forecast is top notch - the knowledge of some of their on screen forecasters far surpasses that on most channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

They need to ditch these weather symbols quickly.
    I doubt the forecasters themselves like them either.
    I'm baffled they were ever allowed in the first place. It's like a trip back to the 80s only much much worse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

The graphic designer who designed it should check the calibration on his computer, in a word they are "terrible ".

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭AOH77A

Terrible graphics and hopefully the voiceover is a once off. Not the same without a presenter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

secman wrote: »
    The graphic designer who designed it should check the calibration on his computer, in a word they are "terrible ".
    I presume it was inside the RTÉ graphics department - they really need to take another look. I know simple can be nice and clean but in this instance it looks like a 10 year old designed them on PowerPoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Hopefully they are refusing to work with the "new" (older looking) graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

sdanseo wrote: »

The studio is in RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Saw the voiceover. I hope it was a technical glitch that forced them to do that and not that this will be the standard forecast from now on.

Very strange choice to put that out at 6 o clock. Irish people have watched the weather at 6 and 9 broadcasts since TV began!
    If tonights effort was a result of cutbacks they've made a huge mistake targeting that forecast. They have two on weekdays between 4.30 and 6, that's where they want to cut down if they're going to do it .

Very strange choice to put that out at 6 o clock. Irish people have watched the weather at 6 and 9 broadcasts since TV began!
    If tonights effort was a result of cutbacks they've made a huge mistake targeting that forecast. They have two on weekdays between 4.30 and 6, that's where they want to cut down if they're going to do it .

Yep. The 6 and 9 slots are non negotiable I think. The other ones can be downgraded if absolutely required but even that is a retrograde step

Think I heard somewhere that they're getting rid of the 24hr news channel?

Talk about retrograde, whilst other networks are seeing growth in this area, here it's being chopped.
    Next they'll be switching back to b&w and 576 x 720 PAL quality.

I guess when you squander astronomical fees to the rte “superstars” then eventually cold reality has to bite at some stage.

Eff public service broadcasting seems to be the attitude out in Montrose.

Personally I’d be happy for them to point blank refuse to pay those ludicrous fees to extremely mediocre “talent”, rather than trying to minimise our already fairly minimal national weather report broadcasts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Think I heard somewhere that they're getting rid of the 24hr news channel?

Talk about retrograde, whilst other networks are seeing growth in this area, here it's being chopped.
    Next they'll be switching back to b&w and 576 x 720 PAL quality.

I didn't know that RTE where thinking of scraping the RTE News channel. A shame if they do because that channel could be developed into a very good channel with more live news and documentary style programming.

Just after watching the forecast on RTE and I think some of the graphical changes are good, but they really need to fix the colour contrast, particularly the dark clouds icons which blend in with the background far too much. It would not take much to change the colour contrast of those symbols.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I didn't know that RTE where thinking of scraping the RTE News channel. A shame if they do because that channel could be developed into a very good channel with more live news and documentary style programming.

Just after watching the forecast on RTE and I think some of the graphical changes are good, but they really need to fix the colour contrast, particularly the dark clouds icons which blend in with the background far too much. It would not take much to change the colour contrast of those symbols.

Not certain of it, but thought saw it mentioned somewhere, so again, not certain.

All other news channels are seeing massive surges thanks to TrumpExitous news and the weather itself.

The main issue now with the weather seems to be legibility of all text, particularly that yellow with white numerals (for low temps) fails legibility tests 1:1.8. A vector pack of rf-weather-icons can be purchased for $10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

NewsNow is rumoured to be going. It has potential, but RTE have been hamstrung by them not allowed to carry advertising on the channel (Pat Carey made that decision (along with others that have hampered saorview) to kowtow to Sky (who don't allow themselves be regulated here!) and TV3, after that FF Government was voted out!).

Advertisement