Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I'm a new cyclist an intimidated.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Camera
    Another Jersey worth considering....

Stayin-Alive.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

Pkiernan wrote: »
    To get back on topic, OP get a bike mounted camera and report each incident to the Guards.
    Only way drivers will change is if you do this.

Also don't be afraid to email insurance companies with videos of bad driving. Most drivers are insured with the big names, so easy enough to do.

So you want a distorted 180 degree camera view of an 'almost' incident reported to the guards and insurance company:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Camera
    123shooter wrote: »
    My question may have been slightly off topic but the rest of the post wasnt and relevant but not popular.

MOD VOICE: Any issues, we can take it to discussion via PM. The off topic parts and several parts of your post have been done to death and in the past have typically been posted by people looking to troll, I don't think you were but I am just nipping it in the bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

CramCycle wrote: »
    MOD VOICE: Any issues, we can take it to discussion via PM. The off topic parts and several parts of your post have been done to death and in the past have typically been posted by people looking to troll, I don't think you were but I am just nipping it in the bud.

Right then I shall bugger off from where I am not wanted.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

123shooter wrote: »
    Right then I shall bugger off from where I am not wanted.;)

On yer bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You can't force people to overtake correctly, but you can take "primary position" which adds an element of doubt to someone who may chance it if you're in secondary position. I think stayin a live at 1.5 has a video on this explaining it - came up on my facebook feed recently.

Actually had a conversation about this over the weekend with someone who was a passenger in my car - they are relatively new to cycling, and commented that a cyclist we were waiting to overtake was very far out, and he then moved back in after we'd turned the corner when I could see. I knew what he was at (and wasn't going to overtake as I couldn't see anyway) and explained it, but I'm sure someone else would've been giving out about "lycra clad ***** taking over the whole road not letting me past".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Camera
    Pkiernan wrote: »
    To get back on topic, OP get a bike mounted camera and report each incident to the Guards.
    Only way drivers will change is if you do this.

Also don't be afraid to email insurance companies with videos of bad driving. Most drivers are insured with the big names, so easy enough to do.

I know what you mean, but this sounds exhausting. I'd recommend brocbrocach's approach of trying out alternatives to the stretch of road where you get most close passes. Personally, there was a part of the North Circular Road in Dublin where I used to cycle every day and got close passes constantly, and some very aggressive punishment passes too. I found a slightly longer alternative for that single part of my commute, and all was much better.

Camera
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    You can't force people to overtake correctly, but you can take "primary position" which adds an element of doubt to someone who may chance it if you're in secondary position. I think stayin a live at 1.5 has a video on this explaining it - came up on my facebook feed recently.

Actually had a conversation about this over the weekend with someone who was a passenger in my car - they are relatively new to cycling, and commented that a cyclist we were waiting to overtake was very far out, and he then moved back in after we'd turned the corner when I could see. I knew what he was at (and wasn't going to overtake as I couldn't see anyway) and explained it, but I'm sure someone else would've been giving out about "lycra clad ***** taking over the whole road not letting me past".

Yeah, and some people go bananas when you take primary position. I find it's best to take it for as short a time as you can, give the driver a little thank-you wave, and try to make sure you don't end up doing it to them again down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Camera
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yeah, and some people go bananas when you take primary position. I find it's best to take it for as short a time as you can, give the driver a little thank-you wave, and try to make sure you don't end up doing it to them again down the road.

:confused: But if needs must...

Camera
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    :confused: But if needs must...
    Well, in town it doesn't really apply much, but in the suburbs you sometimes meet the same driver again within about five minutes. Just as a precaution, I'd pull over and let them go the second time. Just the one time, I had a driver really flip out and pull a really aggressive punishment pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Or " the cycle lane has pot holes" must tell my mam to take a snap of big bertha and I'll post it up. She's in her 60's and still on the bike but is forced on the road by what can only be described a lunar crater on the cycle lane on her usual 10k route.

I have a similar enough distance cycle to and from work. I took to not using a particular poor cycle lane for a few weeks but they amount of punishment passes and aggressive behaviour I encountered led to me using the lane again. It's condition is acceptable at the pace I go. So I suppose what I'm saying it might better to use the cycle lane for the OP if it's anyway acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Personally, there was a part of the North Circular Road in Dublin where I used to cycle every day and got close passes constantly, and some very aggressive punishment passes too. I found a slightly longer alternative for that single part of my commute, and all was much better.

It's Fairview for me. I just go round it now and all is well.

Camera
    It's Fairview for me. I just go round it now and all is well.
    That was one for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

Camera
    That was one for me too.

Likewise, hate Fairvew on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see Aldi are doing an integrated light/camera in their cycling deals

https://www.aldi.ie/camera-and-bike-light/p/079004160072600

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Camera
    Someone I work with said that helmet cam (and even car dashcam) footage which has less than 30 frames per second won't be entertained by the Gardaí or Judges and thus inadmissible as evidence because each frame can be easily individually altered. Any truth to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

None of these
    Someone I work with said that helmet cam (and even car dashcam) footage which has less than 30 frames per second won't be entertained by the Gardar Judges and thus inadmissible as evidence because each frame can be easily individually altered. Any truth to this?

Bull****.

If you can edit 30 frames you can edit 50 or 60. Just might take 2 mins longer. Any question about authenticity then they can refer it to the technical lads in Phoenix Park.

CCTV is often 1 or 5 fps.

Camera
    Someone I work with said that helmet cam (and even car dashcam) footage which has less than 30 frames per second won't be entertained by the Gardar Judges and thus inadmissible as evidence because each frame can be easily individually altered. Any truth to this?

As said above, a common theme trotted out by a few lazy members of AGS. In a civil case it is more than enough. In a legal one, it is not enough on it's own as it is not considered forensic evidence but it is more than suitable to be added to the weight of evidence to help clarify or reinforce a particular version of events. They will still have all the other stuff if needs be. Whether it is accepted or not in the end is at the discretion of the Judge, and will also depend on the "importance" of the case. The gardai, if putting together a case would be foolish, nay negligent to not accept it as potential evidence if pursuing a charge, this said if they don't accept they may not pursue the charge, if you get my meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,364 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

None of these
    Someone I work with said that helmet cam (and even car dashcam) footage which has less than 30 frames per second won't be entertained by the Gardaí or Judges and thus inadmissible as evidence because each frame can be easily individually altered. Any truth to this?

Ask the Garda for a written copy of that policy and see how far he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭mp31

None of these
    Does anyone recommend a particular brand? A work colleague of mine (a cyclist) said that cheaper cameras are heavier and are bad for the neck when sitting on top of the helmet.

Mobius 2 attached to the top of the helmet using velcro - very light and hardly noticeable. There is a weatherproof cover available for it as well. Battery lasts 2 hours and a bit and it can record up to 1080p x 60fps

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Camera
    A stupid question, but what sort of psi should I have in my tyres for optimum cycling? My wheels are 700 35C.

mp31 wrote: »
    Mobius 2 attached to the top of the helmet using velcro - very light and hardly noticeable. There is a weatherproof cover available for it as well. Battery lasts 2 hours and a bit and it can record up to 1080p x 60fps

Thanks ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

None of these
    A stupid question, but what sort of psi should I have in my tyres for optimum cycling? My wheels are 700 35C.

They should say on the side. Generally harder = less rolling resistance but a slightly bumpier ride. If there's lots of ice running softer can be good.

Check the rating and go towards the top of it to maximize your range.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

I make automotive cameras for my job, and have a decent dashcam and I'd recommend a good rear light over a camera every single time. I cycle a lot too by the way.

The problem with a camera, I find, is that it tends to give people a false sense of security in that it emboldens peoples sense of right and wrong, they stick more rigidly to the rules of the road, and tend to put themselves in more dangerous situations in an effort to prove they're right.

You see it with dash cam users all the time. Someone changes lane without indicating, the dash cam driver doesn't give way, and ends up with a close call. There's a YouTube cyclist who does similsr around Dublin. Legally correct, but needlessly provocative and dangerous.

I'm not having a rant either, by all means get a camera, but stick with the best lights you can afford first, front and back, and use them at all times. Just be very aware that having the evidence after the fact is of no benefit.

Camera
    The problem with a camera, I find, is that it tends to give people a false sense of security in that it emboldens peoples sense of right and wrong, they stick more rigidly to the rules of the road, and tend to put themselves in more dangerous situations in an effort to prove they're right.
    Two prime examples are several of the dashcam threads in motors where posters regularly get skinned alive because they choose the legally entitled option rather than smart/safe route (they deserve to be ridiculed). I see the same from gopro users on my commute, always gopro users;other helmet cam users don't seem to do this, who run reds and cut people off and then give the finger to people in situations their stupidity created.
    I'm not having a rant either, by all means get a camera, but stick with the best lights you can afford first, front and back, and use them at all times. Just be very aware that having the evidence after the fact is of no benefit.
    100% - good lights are the single most important safety item every cyclist needs, before anything else.

I make automotive cameras for my job, and have a decent dashcam and I'd recommend a good rest light over a camera every single time. I cycle a lot too by the way.

You see it with dash cam users all the time. Someone changes lane without indicating, the dash cam driver doesn't give way, and ends up with a close call. There's a YouTube cyclist who does similsr around Dublin. Legally correct, but needlessly provocative and dangerous.

I recall a video a few years back and can't find now where a lad with form of this came across a woman in a car with parked cars on her side meaning he had right of way come head to head and she was playing the bullying card etc. and him pointing and what ever taking center lane and not letting her move when all he had to do was hug the kerb. It's like two cars meeting on a narrow country lane , who has to reverse the least to get to a point the other can pass. There are contrarians in all walks of life.

Advertisement