Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carton Wood - Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

LeeC1990 wrote: »
    Hi all,

We bought a three bed terraced house in the first phase and we have now been told the house won't be completed until late May! In the meantime we've sold our place and are trying to delay the sale on that end, but it's hard when we keep been told different completion dates. Has anyone else who bought in the first phase been told the completion date has been delayed and won't be until late May?!

A word of warning from someone who's bought new build elsewhere.
    Completion in late May means you snag in late May, then they've two weeks to fix (often drags out a bit) and allow another week to close. Typically it's four weeks from completion to keys.

And those keys are to a house with no flooring or curtains. Most people like to take a week or two to sort those.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Completion dates on houses are rarely what you are told they will be ,you can put pressure on the builders and try be the 1st in but that has disadvantages too .

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LeeC1990

Thanks for your reply, yeah we were told completion would be late May and then there would be two weeks to snag, fix the snags and pay the remaining balance.

The house is coming with flooring throughout the house so we won't have the issue of having to put floors down.

Do you know if builders usually get all houses from the first phase ready at the same time so everyone is moving into their houses around the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Leflem

LeeC1990 we have purchased further along the boundary wall at the end of the development. We were initially told July completion and have since seen the valuation document which states August completion.

Just to clarify, we have purchased in feb just gone (phase 1 relaunch).

I would expect the developers to release the houses in blocks within the phases. Subject to the the surrounding area being safe and liveable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Planning app in to change various window layouts/sizes on a number of houses here. Would wonder why, so late in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭westsider

L1011 wrote: »
    Planning app in to change various window layouts/sizes on a number of houses here. Would wonder why, so late in the process.

They changed the layout of the kitchen/ dining area in some of the 4 beds, think there is a new floor to ceiling window now in place which may explain this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Bigger or smaller windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

Has anyone bought a house here using the help to buy grant? We're eligible for the 5% rebate so will only be paying a 5% deposit ourselves thankfully. However I read that some developers are still looking for the full 10% from the buyers and getting the buyers to get the money back from revenue themselves. Really hoping the developer in this case isn't asking for this because we definitely won't have the other 5% and won't be able to get a loan from anyone!

We were told that ours should be ready by the end of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 NM123

Has anyone bought a house here using the help to buy grant? We're eligible for the 5% rebate so will only be paying a 5% deposit ourselves thankfully. However I read that some developers are still looking for the full 10% from the buyers and getting the buyers to get the money back from revenue themselves. Really hoping the developer in this case isn't asking for this because we definitely won't have the other 5% and won't be able to get a loan from anyone!

We were told that ours should be ready by the end of the year!

We are availing of the HTB scheme too but unsure exactly how it will work here. My understanding is that only 10,000 (in addition to original booking deposit) is required to be paid on contract signing and then this is all until completion date. We were expecting then that our HTB allowance will be used against our final bill on completion (so we will drawdown less mortgage). I would ask your solicitor to check this out with the developer if you have concerns.
    When did you buy your house & when were you told it would be end of year completion?we were expecting end of summer completion having bought in Feb but understand the dates normally slip a bit,but hopefully not by too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Pretty sure the rules are clear here. From 2017 on, the builder is paid by Revenue. The reimbursement was only for people who had signed or completed during the stated period from 2016, Jul/Aug or whenever it was to end of Dec. Builder has no right to ask you for that upfront. Are they registered for the scheme? There is a list on the revenue website. Search Help to buy scheme builder list or something to that effect.

If not, they may be pulling a fast one, not registering and leaving you stuck without the 5%. I've nothing to go on to assume that but, builders are builders, and you should always be on guard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

ixus wrote: »
    Pretty sure the rules are clear here. From 2017 on, the builder is paid by Revenue. The reimbursement was only for people who had signed or completed during the stated period from 2016, Jul/Aug or whenever it was to end of Dec. Builder has no right to ask you for that upfront. Are they registered for the scheme? There is a list on the revenue website. Search Help to buy scheme builder list or something to that effect.

If not, they may be pulling a fast one, not registering and leaving you stuck without the 5%. I've nothing to go on to assume that but, builders are builders, and you should always be on guard.

Yeah I read somewhere here that they're registered for HTB under Briargate developments or something like that. I spoke to the agent managing Carton Wood and they said that the developers will be applying for the rebate from Revenue directly so at least we don't have to worry about that part.
    NM123 wrote: »
    We are availing of the HTB scheme too but unsure exactly how it will work here. My understanding is that only 10,000 (in addition to original booking deposit) is required to be paid on contract signing and then this is all until completion date. We were expecting then that our HTB allowance will be used against our final bill on completion (so we will drawdown less mortgage). I would ask your solicitor to check this out with the developer if you have concerns.
    When did you buy your house & when were you told it would be end of year completion?we were expecting end of summer completion having bought in Feb but understand the dates normally slip a bit,but hopefully not by too much!

I think we were told that it would be €10k booking deposit, €10k upon signing contracts, developer would apply to revenue for HTB rebate and then the balance would be paid on completion.

We're just after starting the buying process and have yet to sign contracts. We went to view the showhouse and were told that the house wouldn't be ready until the end of the year! hopefully will be sooner rather than later though

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AshlingV123

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the launch of Phase 2? We are really hoping to buy the 3 bed semi detached. I was onto Savilles today and the guy told me June but when I was onto them last week I was told realistically September. If anyone has heard any different please let me know.

Also, people who bought in phase 1 did you que over night? Did they do a number system or how did it work?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the launch of Phase 2? We are really hoping to buy the 3 bed semi detached. I was onto Savilles today and the guy told me June but when I was onto them last week I was told realistically September. If anyone has heard any different please let me know.

Also, people who bought in phase 1 did you que over night? Did they do a number system or how did it work?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there
    Bought in Feb phase and yes there was a small queue overnight but there was only 2 of the 3 beds being released so if they release a larger amount there may be no need. It was all very orderly and no one jumping the queue etc. Best of luck!

Hi there, do you know how you can see this planning application and where you can track the progress/timeline of this? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AshlingV123

Has anybody got any sort of update with Saville's regarding the launch or pricing on the 3 beds? I have been trying to organise a private viewing for nearly 4 weeks now. I just seen in the paper that people are queuing up for apartments in Baldoyle. I have a feeling it will be the same here.

Curious if anyone who bought in phase 1 has received a completion date? Seems like still a bit left to do on the first phase

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PDiddy87

NM123 wrote: »
    Curious if anyone who bought in phase 1 has received a completion date? Seems like still a bit left to do on the first phase
    First houses due for completion at the end of June.

There seems to be a bit of a delay alright. Has anyone else who bought in February phase told completion date pushed out to October?

westsider wrote: »
    There seems to be a bit of a delay alright. Has anyone else who bought in February phase told completion date pushed out to October?

Hi yes, last we were told was Sept/Oct...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Brd123

Hi,
    Has anyone purchased a 4 bed semi in Carton wood? We have been told that there is currently 1 available but it is the "old design" the main difference being the layout of the kitchen compared to the "new design".
    If anyone has viewed the "old design" what did you think?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Brd123 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Has anyone purchased a 4 bed semi in Carton wood? We have been told that there is currently 1 available but it is the "old design" the main difference being the layout of the kitchen compared to the "new design".
    Thanks

I've seen the new design and do think it's a better layout and has the added bonus of a nice island/ counter feature. There was some photos of the old layout on Anthony Neville website- I'm sure they could provide these to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PDiddy87

Brd123 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks

Picture 17 on daft is the old design, it's from the perspective of standing in the kitchen looking into the living room bit. I agree with westsider tho, the new design is better.

We've been informed by builders that completion date now pushed out to mid- late November. Has anyone else who bought in February been informed of this? Very disappointing given we were initially told July/ August... but I suppose it goes with the territory when buying a new house!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

For the first phase? That's insane. Why would they start on the second phase if they couldn't get close to completing even one house internally?

Did you get a reason? Delays with plumbers, electricians etc or something with council?

Edit: looks like it's second phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭you2008

We've been informed by builders that completion date now pushed out to mid- late November. Has anyone else who bought in February been informed of this? Very disappointing given we were initially told July/ August... but I suppose it goes with the territory when buying a new house!

Hi - did you get a chance to talk to builder directly? or from Agency?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Lexi77

I purchased in Nov with a completion date of April. Received this from the builders

"Unfortunately, as is the case with the first number of homes on any development site, we often experience unexpected delays.  This is predominantly because all of the infrastructure for the entire site must be delivered to a satisfactory standard for Kildare County Council to sign off on the Building Control element, which, in turn, allows our Solicitor to complete his paperwork satisfactorily for the Purchaser’s Solicitor to close the sale.  We are however, after encountering a large quantity of rock on the surface water line going down the Dunboyne Road beside Carton House Golf Course.  You may have noticed the extensive works currently ongoing on the road.  This is to facilitate the surface water outfall from the site to the Rye River at the roundabout.  Unfortunately, when we were drafting our programmes, the ground reports available to us at the time did not allow us to foresee hitting rock on the drainage, therefore impacting dramatically on our construction programme"

I know my house internally hasn't been finished yet. Looks like I might have to reapply for mortgage approval. Loan offer will run out soon😣

ixus wrote: »
    For the first phase? That's insane. Why would they start on the second phase if they couldn't get close to completing even one house internally?

Did you get a reason? Delays with plumbers, electricians etc or something with council?

Edit: looks like it's second phase.

Yes or phase 1b as I think they are referring to it... I see explanations over general delays here so that explains some of it.

you2008 wrote: »
    Hi - did you get a chance to talk to builder directly? or from Agency?

This came from Anthony Neville office directly.... estate agent had told me delay would be October a few weeks ago. There has been very little progress on the whole line of houses where our house will be so I would say November is more likely.

Lexi77 wrote: »
    I purchased in Nov with a completion date of April. Received this from the builders

"Unfortunately, as is the case with the first number of homes on any development site, we often experience unexpected delays.  This is predominantly because all of the infrastructure for the entire site must be delivered to a satisfactory standard for Kildare County Council to sign off on the Building Control element, which, in turn, allows our Solicitor to complete his paperwork satisfactorily for the Purchaser’s Solicitor to close the sale.  We are however, after encountering a large quantity of rock on the surface water line going down the Dunboyne Road beside Carton House Golf Course.  You may have noticed the extensive works currently ongoing on the road.  This is to facilitate the surface water outfall from the site to the Rye River at the roundabout.  Unfortunately, when we were drafting our programmes, the ground reports available to us at the time did not allow us to foresee hitting rock on the drainage, therefore impacting dramatically on our construction programme"

I know my house internally hasn't been finished yet. Looks like I might have to reapply for mortgage approval. Loan offer will run out soon😣

Gosh that's unfortunate have they given you an updated completion date? I've spoken to the bank already as with our new timeframe our approval will run out too... she said they will try and ask for an extension on it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Lexi77

Gosh that's unfortunate have they given you an updated completion date? I've spoken to the bank already as with our new timeframe our approval will run out too... she said they will try and ask for an extension on it...

Trying for a 2 month extension. Will bring me to the end of July. Keeping fingers crossed I'll be in by then

Advertisement