Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Threatened Luas Strike.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Bunch of crooks with their transport monopoly

Privatize it all and get some real private operators in who will do the job properly for a cheaper rate who will run the service for its passengers and not the employees.

Wait a minute. ............... what was that lads ?

Hahahahahahahaha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭bruno1x

A 50% pay rise! HAHAHA and some think the private operator are knights in shining armour who will rescue them from the evils of IE, BE and DB.
    “The vast majority of tram drivers are paid a full bonus, and the average bonus is €2,493.78 per tram driver annually." No wonder the tickets are more expensive than DB, i wish i got a €2500 bonus for driving a bus.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Remind me, how many LUAS strikes have there been since it's inception and how many CIE ones?

It's like sampling 1000 apples and finding 999 are good but 1 is bad, therefore saying that proves they are all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I love the delight in this forum when there's the slightest hint that Luas staff might strike. All the staunch CIE supporters come out in force with the same comments every time.

Luas is run well, it's very popular and there has been almost no industrial relations problems in the decade. The funny thing is that it has very little to do with it being privatised and everything to do with it being run by a company that isn't CIE. This isn't a union thing or a privatisation thing, just proof that the persistent problems between staff and management at CIE are bad for passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

devnull wrote: »
    Remind me, how many LUAS strikes have there been since it's inception and how many CIE ones?

It's like sampling 1000 apples and finding 999 are good but 1 is bad, therefore saying that proves they are all bad.

Zero Luas strikes. One wonders how many strikes LUAS would have had without staff getting €2-€3 grand a year of a bribe to not strike :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

How can I get a job there? 40k+ a year do they know how good that pay is? Why the comparison with rail services, there long established and I can't see that type of pay been the same with new hires.

Remind me , the memory aint the best, how many years was it forbidden for the LUAS to go on strike?
    When did that clause expire?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Are you suggesting that all pubic transport staff have a no strike rule in their contracts? Because from a passenger and local economy point of view, it worked excellently. You might have a point there!

markpb wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that all pubic transport staff have a no strike rule in their contracts? Because from a passenger and local economy point of view, it worked excellently. You might have a point there!

The Luas staff did have this clause, now it has expired they can challenge the company over grievances.
    As a DB driver i hope they get every penny they want, if they do you can bet the farm we will be looking for a pay rise as well.

From another part of boards
    Uncle Ben wrote: »
    We're the fastest growing econony in Europe. Noonan found €3billion behind a sofa and he doesn't know where it came from. The public sector are getting their pay restored. Burton wants to give pensioners increases. Nurses voted for strike because of A & E conditions and are rewarded with pay rises and extra leave. The low wage are getting an increase and there are medical cards for practically everyone in the audience. And there is more to come if FG/LP are
    returned .
    Anyone who doesn't ask for a wage increase is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

CIE II

It was great while it lasted.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    CIE II

It was great while it lasted.

Look at it positively , the only way to know if the government are telling the truth about the economy being on the up is if they grant this pay rise. If they don't get the pay rise we know the economy is still in trouble.

bruno1x wrote: »
    Look at it positively , the only way to know if the government are telling the truth about the economy being on the up is if they grant this pay rise. If they don't get the pay rise we know the economy is still in trouble.

The only thing it will tell is "Celtic Tuger" a pay rise of 13,000 in some cases is a joke. Luas should be liquidated and start over again.

The only thing it will tell is "Celtic Tuger" a pay rise of 13,000 in some cases is a joke. Luas should be liquidated and start over again.

I think its great, lets see the NTA earn their pay, they have painted IE,BE and DB as the bad guys for long enough, and held up the private operators as some kind of saviour to transport problems in Ireland.
    The wheels are coming off now , how will the NTA handle it?

You all seem to forget a few things here

A company : state / semi state / private are all set up to provide a service. But they all want the same thing. Money and or profit.

An employee: is someone who goes to work everyday to do their job but only for money. Nobody is going to do their job for free no matter how much they like it.

So fair play for luas looking for their rise. I just can't see them getting that much at all.

So cie or no cie its all the same.

With maybe one exception. A private company won't operate without a good profit for themselves whereas cie just want to get by. A big difference if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 81,152 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sack the lot of them. They started work at the given rate and there should be no connection whatsover between driving a LUAS and a train.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Bunch of crooks with their transport monopoly

Privatize it all and get some real private operators in who will do the job properly for a cheaper rate who will run the service for its passengers and not the employees.

Wait a minute. ............... what was that lads ?

Hahahahahahahaha
    LOL!!!!
    A 50% pay rise! HAHAHA and some think the private operator are knights in shining armour who will rescue them from the evils of IE, BE and DB.
    “The vast majority of tram drivers are paid a full bonus, and the average bonus is €2,493.78 per tram driver annually." No wonder the tickets are more expensive than DB, i wish i got a €2500 bonus for driving a bus.
    its a tram. not a bus. big difference.
    markpb wrote: »

Plenty of ways they could have got around it if they needed to. so no strike doesn't really work. anyway strikes are necessary
    Luas should be liquidated and start over again.

you going to do that every time there is a strike? why waste time when you can negotiate.
    Sack the lot of them. They started work at the given rate and there should be no connection whatsover between driving a LUAS and a train.
    can't be done. would be to costly and would lead to a long term disruption of service. 1 day strike is much cheeper and barely disruptive compared to your nonsense suggestion. sack ja larra jem rabel rabel belongs back in the 20th century, we have workers rights now.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

The economy is on the up, but that doesn't mean that the country can afford to start splashing crazy amounts of money around. Is there scope for an increase? Probably Yes, on the scale of 30%? No.

The funny thing about Irish politics is it always goes in cycles, a government spends too much by spending excessively and keeps doing it until it's dying days, the next government is left with virtually no money and has to deal with that fact, just when the economy picks up, the people then call for money to be splashed around en-masse and then moan why austerity is back a few dail terms down the line.

Go read what Mr Martin and Noel Dempsey have been saying in recent weeks, you would never think they served in office when the banks and the property developers run amok. They appear to think the Celtic Tiger was some great creation solely by themselves whilst the collapse that followed had nothing to do with them and was to do with simple bad luck rather than how they ran the country. Only this week Dempsey is moaning about the lack of infrastructure for flood protection being built over the past two decades, this from a former minister of the environment from a party that was in power for the vast majority of the last two decades!!

But it didn't happen, because every time there was a dispute, when this country had more money than at any other point, the money went into the back pockets of unions, staff members and the public sector .

You can imagine a conversation in Bertie's time was like this:
    "Hello Minister, we are going on strike next week"
    "That's okay, Mr Union, how much money would you like to not strike."
    "We'd like x."
    "Okay, we will give you that."
    "Will there be any conditions or anything we have to do in return"
    "No, just don't strike so we look good and curry favour with the public sector."
    A company : state / semi state / private are all set up to provide a service. But they all want the same thing. Money and or profit.

If a company wants to set up their own commercial ventures, they can do what they like with them. That is their responsibility, their money, good luck to them, I wish them all the very best for success since running a business with no funding is not easy.

However companies that are set up solely to provide a service to the state, should have their one and only priority to do that, above all others. That is the whole argument for publicly run public services. Self interest belongs in the commercial world of private companies who are self-funding and are not state supported.
    An employee: is someone who goes to work everyday to do their job but only for money. Nobody is going to do their job for free no matter how much they like it. So fair play for luas looking for their rise. I just can't see them getting that much at all. So cie or no cie its all the same.

Of course, at the end of the day however much you dress it up most employees number one priority when entering the workplace is to get the best conditions they can for themselves. Anyone who says otherwise is not being completely upfront unless they work in the charitable sector for example of community projects.

I don't deny that there is some scope for a rise for LUAS drivers, but quite frankly they do not deserve to be paid the same as Irish Rail drivers and what they are looking for is complete greed. Nobody anywhere deserves a raise of that scope and far from defending them, I'm actually angry that they are doing this, especially when they do it over an election period to hold the whole country to ransom.

This country is in desperate need of decent public transport infrastructure, but time and time again as soon as the country has even a small amount of money there are demands for huge increases in certain areas and pay etc. This is repeated throughout the economy, This then reduces the pot available for such infrastructure projects and people wonder why it's crap, then the unions wheel out the lines about the government should spend more money and we're back to the days of Bertie and Cowen again.

The trouble is whilst the economy is picked up, it's not awash with cash and already I feel like people are saying "The recession is over, lets get back to how it was before the recession." but the way things were before the recession FAILED which is the whole reason it happened in the first place. People in this country repeat the same actions time after time and they wonder why they get the same result. Of course there is more cash to spend now, but it has to be spent carefully with small, gradual, responsible increases rather than huge spending that will create another boom and bust.

Still, out of all of the private operators in Ireland this if it goes ahead will be the first strike by any of them in the transport industry and believe me, many of them are unionized as well, so to say that one strike means everyone is the same is flawed logic.

If I turn up for work 1000 days in a row on time and on day number 1001 I am late, does that mean I am an unreliable person that should be treated like someone who has been late 50 times in 1000 days, because my one late proved that I am a person who will turn up late on a regular basis because I am the same as that person?
    A private company won't operate without a good profit for themselves whereas cie just want to get by. A big difference if you ask me

That's way too simplistic and you know it is.

A private company has to be very efficient because at the end of the day if they make a loss and run out of money the company ceases to be. Any profit is normally distributed to shareholders by increased dividends etc.

A public run company does not have to be efficient because due to the states backing, it would never be allowed to fail and the staff know this. Any profits are normally distributed to staff by respect of higher salaries and pay increases.

The real difference in public and private companies is a lot of the former tend to be run for the staff, whereas a lot of the later tend to be run for benefit of shareholders. Neither model is perfect, that's why you need regulation and things like tendering in public transport, to stop either shareholders or staff putting their own interests above that of the public.

Any company that has a monopoly, be that public or private will always use to exploit that monopoly to some degree, whether it's for commercial gain, shareholder gain, self interest or staff gain. Anyone who thinks that private companies or public companies who are left alone to run transport will run services solely for the benefit of the public is quite frankly deluded, neither model can work without proper regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Just to pick you up on this point, the Luas fares are always cheaper than Dublin Bus for both Leap and cash fare journeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

How long as CIE existed comapared to the Luas, we are only getting started for the first 10 or 15 years SIPTU had a no strike clause as part of their agreement with the luas operator so that they would be the only union.

So they should stay on the rate they took the job at ? Never any pay rises ? Is that how you work ?

• Advertisement

LOL!!!!

its a tram. not a bus. big difference.

Sure is, a Tram is much easier to operate than a Bus.

And when the new drivers in the new Luas company start looking for better pay and conditions then what ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The 69/13/56A/44/47/14/61/27 would need to be reinforced with a Luas strike. A 20/30+ minute service would not be sufficient.

dfx- wrote: »
    The 69/13/56A/44/47/14/61/27 would need to be reinforced with a Luas strike. A 20/30+ minute service would not be sufficient.

Not at all

I'm sure somewhere there will be an agreement for bus and trains not to accept any luas ticket during the strike. As it was with busses and Irish rail when they went out.

Or someone suggest the other day in work that cie should go out with them since its being about a year since the last strike :rolleyes:

I'm sure somewhere there will be an agreement for bus and trains not to accept any luas ticket during the strike. As it was with busses and Irish rail when they went out.

There is no chance that Dublin Bus will accept LUAS tickets, they should not have to, but if extra services can be laid on that might be a possibility, since people will still need to travel.

cdebru wrote: »
    So they should stay on the rate they took the job at ? Never any pay rises ? Is that how you work ?

They have rights to claim a rise, no issue with that, but what they are looking for is too much.

And when the new drivers in the new Luas company start looking for better pay and conditions then what ?

Well that's many years away, do you honestly believe 60,000 is an acceptable wage for driving a train for less than 40 hours a week.

The starting wage is higher than guards, other emergency workers and all graduates by up to 10,000 and they want it higher.

42,500 plus the 2,500 bonus is a very good wage for what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

How long as CIE existed comapared to the Luas, we are only getting started for the first 10 or 15 years SIPTU had a no strike clause as part of their agreement with the luas operator so that they would be the only union.

Luas started running in 2004. No strike clause removed in 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

Presumably their contract would have laid out the scope for incremental raises etc. If it didn't they should have asked the question before signing it.

I don't think anyone disagrees with somebody looking for a raise. We all do it. I've never done it collectively as it's not something I believe in but I have looked for better money and sometimes you get it and sometimes you don't.

My line of work is different in that there is job mobility. I can move if i'm not happy with my conditions etc where as there aren't any other employers for tram drivers unless they take a career change.

What I disagree with is the cynical timing of this (coming into the election) and obviously the percentage increase they are looking for. Presumably though that's a negotiating tactic and they agree on a lower figure but still do well.

And then naturally enough I will disagree with any rise in ticket prices to pay for any increase they will receive. But obviously the union are aware that Joe Public has more take home pay this month arising from the budget and they feel we can afford to shoulder the burden.

• Advertisement

There is no chance that Dublin Bus will accept LUAS tickets, they should not have to, but if extra services can be laid on that might be a possibility, since people will still need to travel.

I believe there is a agreement for DB to accept Luas tickets if the service is stopped due to a accident or incident, this does not apply if the Luas is not running due to strike. So you will have to buy a bus ticket.
    Remember DB cannot put on extra services unless the NTA give them permission.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement