Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail jobs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

LouD2016 wrote: »
    What about those who received that email that applied for Dublin?

I think we know that ship has sailed by now . It’s odd that have taken so long to confirm with the no thanks email though .

• Registered Users Posts: 8 benp

Got my 4-6 weeks email reply today , I'm out !

Good luck all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Daz_ wrote: »
    I think we know that ship has sailed by now . It’s odd that have taken so long to confirm with the no thanks email though .

True - just annoying that they cant just email and say that. Seems to be an odd process in general from what ive been reading here!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

True - just annoying that they cant just email and say that. Seems to be an odd process in general from what ive been reading here!

Totally agree , exact same situation for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭starburst87

Hi, has anyone heard anything since the 4-6 week email that applied for the Waterford depot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭It wasnt me

4-6 week email fir Dublin
    Unsuccesful
    Didn't read it all to be honest
    Best of luck all

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Bigsliothar

Hi, has anyone heard anything since the 4-6 week email that applied for the Waterford depot?

Just got an email there a while ago
    Unsuccessful
    Best of luck to all going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭It wasnt me

Just on a side note for any of the IR staff here,

Anybody know if they recruit for maintenance staff,more so plumbers??
    I know they have electricians and that but just wondering for their facilities or do they contract it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

so just to calrify everyone on the 4-6 week email outside of dublin is still waiting to be processed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I got sorry your speed was Avg better luck next time email just now.

Good luck to those who made it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

Yea got the email that every test was average. Ugh.

Why did I do them using just a laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Applied for Limerick
    Didn't get through

IR LD-SJT (Irish Rail Locomotive Driver Situational Judgment Test): found this exercise more demanding than most. Your judgements were different to what we might expect a Train Driver to make whilst he/she is working.

RAAT (The Rules Acquisition Aptitude Test):
    On the RAAT you scored above average. Your ability to read and understand railway related rules was much better than most. You are likely to find it easier than most other people to understand and learn railway related rules and procedures

Always excel at rules

MiniSCAAT (The Mini Safe Concentration and Attention Test):
    Overall you were faster than most when completing the miniSCAAT with average accuracy.

You have performed well and looking at the online selection process as a whole (including the online screening questionnaire and the three online tests) you got further and performed better than the majority of people that applied.

All the best to the rest of the Limerick applicants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

Irish Rail application
    T
    The OPC
    to me
    2 hours agoDetails
    21 February 2019

Thank you for completing the online assessment tools for the role of Train Driver with Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail. You may remember that you completed three tools for us. They were as follows:

MiniSCAAT (The Mini Safe Concentration and Attention Test). This test involved you looking for and crossing out target letters in a page of letters. This test assessed your ability to concentrate effectively. Train Drivers will spend a large amount of time concentrating on what is going on around them. On this test we assessed you on your speed i.e. how quickly you worked through the test. We also assessed you on your accuracy i.e. how many of the target letters you missed. A safe and effective Train Driver will work quickly and accurately through this test.

RAAT (The Rules Acquisition Aptitude Test) In this test you were given fictitious passages of railway rules and procedures. You were then given some multiple questions to answer based on each passage. Train Drivers have lots of rules and procedures to learn and understand to keep them, their customers, colleagues, trains and the rail infrastructure safe. A Train Driver will be effective at understanding and learning the rules and procedures.

IR LD-SJT (Irish Rail Locomotive Driver Situational Judgment Test) This test has been designed specifically for Irish Rail. You were given different scenarios that you might face as a Train Driver. A Train Driver needs to respond to these different situations both safely and effectively. This test helped us to assess whether you would be able to make the same safe and effective judgements as a Train Driver.

Feedback
    We had a tremendous response to Irish Rail's recruitment drive for Train Drivers. Many thousands of applicants applied. We have scored up your tests and compared your results to other candidates who sat the same tests. Having scored your tests it is with regret that we have to inform you that you have been unsuccessful in your application. You had enormous competition and only a very small percentage of candidates that sat the online tests have been taken through to the assessment centre. To succeed through to the assessment centre you needed to have scored above average on all of the assessment tools.

We have provided you with some feedback below regarding your performance on the three online assessments tools.

Feedback on your IR LD-SJT performance
    Your score on the SJT was average when we compared you to other candidates. Your ability to make safe and effective judgements was equivalent to that of the typical person who sat the SJT under the same conditions. If you were to sit the SJT again then we would recommend that you undertake some research to understand what Train Drivers are expected to do and what judgements they might make to ensure they are safe and effective. This could help you to improve your SJT performance still further next time.

Feedback on your RAAT performance
    On the RAAT you scored average. Your ability to read and understand railway related rules and procedures is typical of most other people who sat the RAAT under the same conditions. Your results would suggest that your ability to work with rules and procedures would be typical of your peers. If you were to sit the RAAT again then we would recommend that you try to increase your performance still further. You could read technical procedures and then ask a friend, relative or your partner to ask you some questions based on the procedures you have read and learnt.

Feedback on your MiniSCAAT performance
    Your speed
    Your speed on the miniSCAAT was average compared to other candidates that sat the test under the same conditions. In the time allocated to the test you were able to work through as many of the letters as your comparison group.

Your accuracy
    With regards to accuracy your score was average when compared to others. Your ability to identify the target letters was typical of other people who sat the miniSCAAT under the same conditions.

Overall miniSCAAT summary
    Overall your speed and accuracy were average when compared to others that sat the miniSCAAT. If you were to sit the miniSCAAT again then we would recommend that you try to increase your speed and accuracy still further.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm actually surprised at the level of detail in the feedback (and the way to avoid saying "below average")

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Sorry I’ve been gone a while and catching up. I got this email on February 13th.

“Dear Candidates,

Thank you for your recent application for the Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail Train Driver recruitment campaign.
    We have experienced a tremendous response to this campaign with applicant numbers reaching near 26,000. The significant level of interest in Iarnród Éireann as an employer and specifically the key role of Train Driver is very encouraging for us.

As you will know, the online applicant and testing process is very robust and effective in its ability to measure on test performance. Your overall test results moves your application into a large pool of candidates who achieved a “pass” result across all facets of the application form and ability tests. With the total candidate volume in mind, congratulations on achieving this result.

Given the volume of candidates in this pool we have applied a stringent rank order process to prioritise those candidates with the strongest performance. Whilst we will not be progressing your application to the next phase immediately, we will ensure that you remain in the pool for potential future progression. Your completed tests will remain valid for 2 years, and you are eligible to be called for progression during this time.

We would like to thank you sincerely for the time that you have dedicated up to this point in the selection process.

Kind regards,
    The Resource Planning Team”

To those getting these detailed feedback emails regarding their results, did you also receive this email?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fanningb

'To those getting these detailed feedback emails regarding their results, did you also receive this email?'

I didn't receive the detailed feedback today but I got the same email as you to say we would be kept on a panel for 2 years, whereas it seems anyone with an email today are not on the panel so maybe they will not give us anymore feedback unless we get called to the assessment centres?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

fanningb wrote: »
    'To those getting these detailed feedback emails regarding their results, did you also receive this email?'

I didn't receive the detailed feedback today but I got the same email as you to say we would be kept on a panel for 2 years, whereas it seems anyone with an email today are not on the panel so maybe they will not give us anymore feedback unless we get called to the assessment centres?

Logical reply. Probably will be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

A final word from us
    We hope the feedback we have provided to you is of benefit and interest. We appreciate that you are likely to be disappointed that we have not been able on this occasion to take you through to an assessment centre. However it is important to note that only a very small percentage of applicants who applied will be passing through to the assessment centre. You have performed well and looking at the online selection process as a whole (including the online screening questionnaire and the three online tests) you got further and performed better than the majority of people that applied.

Thank you again for your interest in Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail. and the role of Train Driver.

With best wishes for the future

The OPC Assessment Team

Just got the above email now.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Just got mine and I'm out. Dublin.

SJT - average
    RAAT - above average
    MiniSCAAT - speed faster then most. Accuracy average.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Just got mine and I'm out. Dublin.

SJT - average
    RAAT - above average
    MiniSCAAT - speed faster then most. Accuracy average.

Just got the same feedback!

That was for Dublin also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Just got the same feedback!

That was for Dublin also.

Bummer too! Very surprised at the level of feedback, fair play to them. Best of luck to all who got through or are still on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jonny74ie

It's a negative for me. Above average for the SJT, the rest average.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

Im out.
    Best of luck to people who got through

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭seanbrady49

I'm still waiting........ anyone have the opc email address?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I didn't want to say anything after the first fail.

But to be honest, I have just found this entire process so odd.

I failed the first test, yet took it again with pretty much the same answers as first time and got a pass.

Most of these tests came back average. To be honest, mainly down to me not really caring doing it, the odds are against you and it seems a slight deviation in one answer can throw you off the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Applied for Dublin, last email I got was the 4-6 week one until today. I'm out too, average, above average and faster than most but with average accuracy for the last one. To be honest I got fed up during the first part of the second set of tests it was so tedious so they've made the right choice! Couldn't be arsed with all that stuff.

Best of luck to all still involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

Still heard nothing regarding interviews or medicals... Phase 2 and 16pf done...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jenjenHarley

mario84s wrote: »
    Still heard nothing regarding interviews or medicals... Phase 2 and 16pf done...

Same as myself

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

Same as myself

The blonde girl told me and another candidate that if you attended Inchicore and did the 16pf, you're getting an interview and then a medical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ais123

mario84s wrote: »

Is that 16pf the personality quiz thing at the end that has like 40q?

Advertisement