Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bikes not allowed in apartment buildings

• 05-10-2014 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

This seems to a be a quite common rule in many apartment buildings.
    Bikes are not allowed inside, yet, there is no (or woefully inadequate*) bike parking provided.

Anyway I'm wondering is this legal? Maybe there is some EU requirement for bike parking. It seems the government wishes to promote cycling, being allowed to actually have a bike would be an important aspect of that.

*not enough spaces, not protected from rain, not protected from theft by any locking gate or barrier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

This matter comes up occasionally here. I think part of the reason is that some will lock bikes in communal stairwells, landings etc. and therefore contravene fire regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I don't think it's a usually problem bringing your bike into your apartment as long as you are not marking walls etc to get it there.
    Its when bikes are left in the common areas, hallways and entrance / lift lobbies there is a big big problem.
    It comes down to health and safety and fire regulations, simply put they become a hazard and can impede the escape routes out of a building in case of an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Most people seem to keep them on balconies.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Just don't tell the landlord. It's a dumb rule and if you're careful you'll never damage the apt. Anyway that's what deposits are for

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

this subject has come up before.. same rules go for my apartment building, no bikes allowed in the apartments or on the balconies, there's an underground bike cage which has been absolutely fleeced twice since i've been living here so my pride and joy(s) stay in the gaf with me.. i've strolled in and out with my bike in front of the security guards a few times so the rule doesn't seem to be rigorously enforced at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. same rules go for my apartment building, no bikes allowed in the apartments or on the balconies...
    I had an apartment for a couple of years which I owned. I'd have taken exception to anyone telling me that I couldn't keep a bike in it or on the balcony.
    (I can understand the prohibition on communal areas).

Advertisement