Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lightest value for money road bike?

• 03-10-2014 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

What is the best road bike to get for around €1000, carbon and lightweight? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dan2912

Something from ribble or something from Planet X. If you wanted to put in the effort then get something from china. Plenty of nice second handers floating on different sites. I built a ribble r872 up for 1500 but you can get a smasher for the grand mark

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

spoke2cun wrote: »
    What is the best road bike to get for around €1000, carbon and lightweight? Thanks in advance.

The canyon roadlite al is 8.2kg. Decent spec and decent weight compared to some carbon bikes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

godtabh wrote: »
    The canyon roadlite al is 8.2kg. Decent spec and decent weight compared to some carbon bikes

With what group set and what size?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Brian? wrote: »

Would it be too hard to Google that??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

Dan2912 wrote: »
    Something from ribble or something from Planet X. If you wanted to put in the effort then get something from china. Plenty of nice second handers floating on different sites. I built a ribble r872 up for 1500 but you can get a smasher for the grand mark

Can this be done full carbon full Ultegra?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Eamonnator wrote: »
    This one from Planet X is £999.00

]

Yes with 105 groupset not Ultegra

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Would it be too hard to Google that??!!

Why should I google it? The previous poster threw out a figure with zero context. I want the answer in the thread so it can be part of the discussion. I don't really care about the answer, but the OP might seeing as he's the one looking for advice.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

Why should I google it? The previous poster threw out a figure with zero context. I want the answer in the thread so it can be part of the discussion. I don't really care about the answer, but the OP might seeing as he's the one looking for advice.

Thanks Brian.
    That's correct. People can get all the info they want nowadays by 'googling', but I would like the educated opinion of the cycling board members.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

105 large.

Par1 wrote: »
    Eamonnator wrote: »
    This one from Planet X is £999.00

]

Yes with 105 groupset not Ultegra

They do a full 6700 form th same price. £100'more for the 6800

I hadn't thought of it that way tbh. Though if I was the op I'd be happy to Google it. If you believe the answer should be in the thread, for whatever reason, you could always answer/add info yourself.I still don't get asking someone else to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dan2912

R872 is full carbon, light and strong. €600 for the frame. The have other frames aswell. They have a bike builder function on the website to give you an idea. I built mine with di2 by stalking eBay for a bargain

I hadn't thought of it that way tbh. Though if I was the op I'd be happy to Google it. If you believe the answer should be in the thread, for whatever reason, you could always answer/add info yourself.I still don't get asking someone else to do it.

Let's just replace the whole of boards with a single link to google so.

they/them/theirs

Let's just replace the whole of boards with a single link to google so.

Good man, great to see u took the time to try to see it from an alternative perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

godtabh wrote: »

Just bought this over a Planet X sl carbon - was feeling a bit anxious having to look after the carbon frame and didnt want that stress... Also it's only fractionally lighter than the al.. Ultegra group set .got it for €1248 all in

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    Just bought this over a Planet X sl carbon - was feeling a bit anxious having to look after the carbon frame and didnt want that stress... Also it's only fractionally lighter than the al.. Ultegra group set .got it for €1248 all in

That looks a great bike and great price for Ultegra group set, don't think you could have done any better. I have done a lot of research in the last few months at roughly that price bracket, and it was the Rose or the Canyon I had narrowed it down to.

Could you forward link so i can view bike? as im looking to purchase something soon....cheers

Good man, great to see u took the time to try to see it from an alternative perspective.

You're welcome.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

That's a decent price alright. What's the concern looking after carbon? It's a fairly robust material.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

A carbon Framed bike requires no more or no less care than an aluminium framed bike. They're not delicate, they won't break unless you have a major crash or you exert excessive and unnecessary pressure on the frame. There really is nothing to be stressed about.

Could you forward link so i can view bike? as im looking to purchase something soon....cheers

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/series/roadlite-al.html

A carbon Framed bike requires no more or no less care than an aluminium framed bike. They're not delicate, they won't break unless you have a major crash or you exert excessive and unnecessary pressure on the frame. There really is nothing to be stressed about.

I had images of dropping a spanner on it :) Really though that wasn't the deciding factor. Value for money on the canyon al I went with just won out over all.

[/wwwcanyon.com/_en/roadbikes/series/roadlite-al.html[/url]

Thanks for link. Those bike frames all look like aluminium in that link am i missing something? Do you have the link to the bike builder where you built the bike for 1248...cheers

Thanks for link. Those bike frames all look like aluminium in that link am i missing something? Do you have the link to the bike builder where you built the bike for 1248...cheers

Sorry i read the post wrong the link is for aluminium! I must have Carbon on the brain i assumed the bike was carbon....the search for a low price carbon Ultegra goes on!

Sorry i read the post wrong the link is for aluminium! I must have Carbon on the brain i assumed the bike was carbon....the search for a low price carbon Ultegra goes on!

I just got this http://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-xeon-csl-3000/aid:674696?forcedefaulttemplate=true

I know very little about bikes but after a couple of short spins i'm very pleased with this. I did lots of research and this was the best quality/value for money I found carbon with full ultrgra. I had excluded planetx, can't remember why.

Sorry it's 1599...just in case u want the price in the thread.....

I just got this [wwwrosebikes.com/bike/rose-xeon-csl-3000]

I know very little about bikes but after a couple of short spins i'm very pleased with this. I did lots of research and this was the best quality/value for money I found carbon with full ultrgra. I had excluded planetx, can't remember why.

Sorry it's 1599...just in case u want the price in the thread.....

Thank you..looks great! How did you find the payment, shipping etc. Would you recommend ?
    Cheers

Thank you..looks great! How did you find the payment, shipping etc. Would you recommend ?
    Cheers

Really good. Top qualitty support via email. You'll wait a while for delivery. Probably a month or so but could not fault them. Join the VIP club before you buy to get loyalty points for purchases.

• Advertisement

Really good. Top qualitty support via email. You'll wait a while for delivery. Probably a month or so but could not fault them. Join the VIP club before you buy to get loyalty points for purchases.

Thank you for info - greatly appreciated

Advertisement