Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Entry level cycling shoes/pedals

Options
  • 25-08-2012 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I have decided to take the jump on recommendation to cycling shoes and pedals. I cycle regularly on my road bike and have researched shoe and pedal combination. However I am overwhelmed by choice and the varying opinions out there. I want to go with spd.
    I am looking for a recommendation for a quality entry level shoe and pedal combo. There are some mentioned on previous thread but alot are discontinued.
    Any help very much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I got the predecessor to this DHB MTB shoe which has lasted well and is very comfy. For SPDs you want a MTB shoe rather than a road shoe. On the road bike I've M520s and on the hybrid M424s. I reckon the M424 would be a great first pedal, as you can also use handily enough as a normal flat pedal thanks to the platform. I started out with M324s but found the single sided thing was a pain in the ass. I also started out with SH56 cleats as they're easier to get out of in a hurry, and haven't had any call to replace them as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have Shimano R077 SPD-SL shoes and Shimano 105 pedals. The shoes are very comfortable and reasonably priced and the pedals are easier to use than the Look Keos i was using before (which were also good)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I find Northwave shoes to be very good 'casual' looking shoes, and very good value. Paid about 60 euro for a pair that i expect to last a few years at least.

Advertisement