Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bás Beatha

• 11-06-2012 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello,

Does anyone out there have a copy of Bás Beatha ?

maybe someone could scan it in and post it here.

I'd love to read it again !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

It appears to be available in the National Library see:

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000220911
    Bás Beatha /
    Cosaint Shibhialta.
    Contributors:
    Ireland Dept. of Defence Civil Defence Branch
    Format: Book
    Language: English
    Published: Dublin : An tAire Cosanta / Dept. of Defence, 1971, 1965.
    Subjects:
    Nuclear Accidents.
    Nuclear Warfare
    Notes:
    "Survival in a Nuclear War - Advice on Protection in the Home and on the Farm."

Physical description: 55 p. : ill. ; 19 cm.

Portion of title: Survival in a Nuclear War : advice on protection in the home and on the farm

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bultaco

thanks dubhthach...will look it up !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I'll send you on my iodine tablets as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the iodine tablet is not be mocked. Joe Jacob argued in 2001 that it would come in handy in case of a terrorist attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the iodine tablet is not be mocked. Joe Jacob argued in 2001 that it would come in handy in case of a terrorist attack.

Maybe we could throw the box of tablets at the terrorist? A well aimed sharp-edged cardboard box might take his eye out.

I have that book, had it scanned and saved somewhere. PM me for a contact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Fuinseog wrote: »

You forgot to add a Smiley! The tablets would have been about as much use in event of a terrorist attack as Bás Beatha would have been after we got the three minute warning that the Soviet missiles were on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

You forgot to add a Smiley! The tablets would have been about as much use in event of a terrorist attack as Bás Beatha would have been after we got the three minute warning that the Soviet missiles were on the way.

well that is why there was a hole in it. you hung it up on a hail so it was always at hand giving you ample time to read up on what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Reminds me of the Soviet Target map for Ireland. Shannon Airport, Dublin Airport and Aldergrove.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Oleta

dmcronin wrote: »
    Maybe we could throw the box of tablets at the terrorist? A well aimed sharp-edged cardboard box might take his eye out.

I have that book, had it scanned and saved somewhere. PM me for a contact.

HI dmcronin, years later!

Could you send me a copy too?
    Haven't figured out how to send you a PM yet.

Thanks,
    Oleta

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Oleta wrote: »
    HI dmcronin, years later!

Could you send me a copy too?
    Haven't figured out how to send you a PM yet.

Thanks,
    Oleta

I think you're out of luck here as dmcronin hasn't posted on boards in almost 5 years.

• Advertisement

Sorry...i still dont have it either :(
    some day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Here it is in full. Is there something I should know?

http://www.basbeatha.ie

Del. Monte ! you're a star thanks :)
    it could come in useful with North Korea etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Oleta

Ha Ha, are you worried Del.monte?

I was just interested to read it and a search brought me to Boards.

Thanks a mil for the link
    Oleta x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I remember as an 11 or 12 year old reading it from time to time. It lived in one of our kitchen presses. Scared the living daylights out of me to be honest! We were terrified of the Russians then - this was the early 1970s. I had a look at it on an online link recently and it brought back memories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

There was a huge nuclear physics show in the RDS in the late 1960's - lots of American stands, (Atomic Energy Commission?) I recall being allowed use a geiger counter and putting my arms into big gloves in a sealed box to pour 'stuff' from one beaker to another, also hearing about subatomic particles like the neutrino.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Catsmeow

Hi I remember it , and was terrified by it too when I was a child. I think there's a copy somewhere in the house still though I haven't seen it for a while. Cheers, Catsmeow

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

I think there is a copy of Bas Beatha around and I still have the iodine tablets .
    There are also booklets on how to spot Reds .
    DSCF2729.jpg

Advertisement