Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moderate flood risk in next 48hrs

• 01-10-2011 1:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭

Just to say there is a flood risk in the next 48 hours particularly the East and North as a couple of weather fronts straddle the country producing a couple of small wave features which will pep up rainfall at times making it heavier and persistent. Worth keeping an eye on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Be late don't ya think,i nearly need a boat to get out of the house so much rain fell today.Roads completely flooded,as in covered like a river.:)
    Read Current Weather Conditions thread for an insight to what was happening today

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yeah there was some very heavy and slow moving rain today- the clearance was taking an age to reach here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Sorry about that redsunset!

There is a possible thunderstorm heading for the Dublin area now with torrential echoes on radar over Co Wicklow. Could turn a little nasty there in the next hour.

No worries,mind you i looked at rainfall prediction last night and showed the band stalling so guessed this could dump fair bit of water.It looks to pivot over the country too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Around a half inch of rain in South Laois today. The dryness of the ground for so long up to this results in more run off and less soakage causing the localised flooding. Tomorrows rain will drain off better as the soils will have softened up.

• Advertisement

Im close to Oak Park station and today the 1400 said 7.4mm and 1500 said 4.2mm,thats 11.6 in 2 hours and it was raining pretty much all day here in a narrow band that just would not go east.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

There was 60mm (2.36") of rain here in the last 12 hours in Dundalk.

Great image of the blocking high airmass not allowing rain to move east.
    Lovely conveyor belt over us.
    EUMETSAT_MSG_RGB-airmass-westernEurope.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

darkman2 wrote: »
    Sorry about that redsunset!

There is a possible thunderstorm heading for the Dublin area now with torrential echoes on radar over Co Wicklow. Could turn a little nasty there in the next hour.

Had some extremely heavy rain here alright, the station hasn't registered any of today's (or yesterday's) rain unfortunately though..think the rain bucket must be blocked up again, only just cleaned it last week!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Was playing Golf in Athy today , and it rained torrentially for 3 and half hour of the 4 we were playing .

Am supposed to be playing tomorrow in Lutterllstown Castle tomorrow (Castleknock I think) , was looking at the Yr.no forecast and it did not look too bad , fairly light rain by the looks of it .

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Luttrellstown/hour_by_hour.html

Do you think there might be a surprise in store for me ?

110930_1200_24.png

That looks like periods of fairly heavy rainto me,bring the mac

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Friday was the second wettest day of the year with 26.0mm recorded at my station. Wettest 26.4mm June 17th

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

51mm here yesterday, about half of which fell in an hour and a half or so from half four yesterday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

40.6mm fell yesterday here.
    0.6mm so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

thought we had enough here yesterday at 17.4mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Think of this as a long shower to clean down the country after all the hot dusty air of the last week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

mike65 wrote: »
    Think of this as a long shower to clean down the country after all the hot dusty air of the last week ;)

Think i'd rather break some October heat records like the UK will be doing today:rolleyes::(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

We actually didnt get much rain yesterday but got a hell of alot last night and this morning.

32mm in the last 24 hours, 25 of which has been since midnight.

Edit: The 24 hour total now stands at 36.2mm and im expecting that to rise!

Min wrote: »
    40.6mm fell yesterday here.
    0.6mm so far today.

Only 15.3mm here in comparison, how many miles away from me are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmynippy

U gotta laugh at the chart above,even with High Pressure all around us,we have the good luck to get the only bit of rainfall in Europe stuck over us.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

No figures, but drains backed up with the torrential rain at times...covered the driveway in 4 inches of water at the deepest parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

A nice chart from IWO.

176499.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Danno wrote: »
    Only 15.3mm here in comparison, how many miles away from me are you?

Will Google Earth it and see now how far as the crow flies or maybe more precise as the cloud floats...

From Durrow , I live a little under 12 miles
    From Carlow and Oak Park it is about 13 miles

It rained near non stop here from about 11am to 7pm, and yesterday morning Met Eireann at 7:55am said upto 25mm in the south west, so I think a lot of people were surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

40 mm and still coming down with a few more hours to come.
    Definitely the wettest day since last Feb. I would have done anything for a deluge like this during the growing season but unfortunately its too late now - a bit like a snowfall at the end of March :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

I'm after looking at the met rainfall radar, christ there is some difference between what it shows and the deluge south Dublin has experienced over the last couple of hours. I don't think I've seen so much surface flooding since the eighties.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Already some localised flooding here in D4.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

48.0mm here since rain started yesterday afternoon (42.6mm since midnight). Still raining.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

My garden has transformed into a temporary swamp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

24 hr totals to 12Z

Dublin Airport 56 mm
    Oak Park 50 mm
    Casement 43 mm
    Johnstown Castle 21.7 mm

Advertisement