Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have any unionist politicians been elected to Dail Eireann since independence?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Something that is slightly overlooked is the fact that some protestants of the time were very anti Union. Just after having a chat with my mother and was told a story of two C of I families that were reared in each others homes and all the lads were in the IRA but found themselves on opposing sides in the Civil War. One set of brothers were sent out to shoot the other set of brothers. Fortunately they were "unable" to find their victims. This may not be common but IRA=Catholic is not always the case just as Protastant=Unionist is not always the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Open to correction, but I dont think any of the various movements for independence didn't have a protestant in a prominent position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Open to correction, but I dont think any of the various movements for independence didn't have a protestant in a prominent position.

Left yourself wide open there; Robert Emmett, CS Parnell, Henry Joy McCracken, Wolfe Tone, etc etc

Left yourself wide open there; Robert Emmett, CS Parnell, Henry Joy McCracken, Wolfe Tone, etc etc

One of us is getting our double negatives confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Fratton Fred is using the double neg -- think he's saying that all of the independence movements did have Protestants in prominent positions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

My bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

My bad!

Not really, I had to read it a couple of times to convince myself. Badly expressed FF :P (it is his native language after all.:D)

First morning back after a holiday, the brain is still sloshing around in San Miguel!

Advertisement