Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gifts from the Irish Republic to other countries

• 07-09-2010 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any idea where I might find out what gifts would have been given to other countries at significant times in the history of those countries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Statue of Queen Victoria from Merrion Square was removed in 1947 and donated (deported?) to Australia in the eighties.

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

A bowl of shamrock:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

nuttz wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any idea where I might find out what gifts would have been given to other countries at significant times in the history of those countries?
    People. Irelands gift to the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Charles Haughey gave Margaret Thatcher a Georgian silver teapot at their first meeting. http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/features/maggie-me--and-that-georgian-teapot-315387.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

http://kariva-artworks.com/USERIMAGES/SH101707.jpg

See that horrible thing that looks like it was bought from a traveller. Well, we gave that to the French in 1924 so they could put it up on the basilica in Lourdes to thank them for all their help down through the centuries. Now you know why they felt the need to deny us a trip to South Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

il gatto wrote: »
    Statue of Queen Victoria from Merrion Square was removed in 1947 and donated (deported?) to Australia in the eighties.

I'm actually surprised she lasted that long! I know we were in the Commonwealth then, but I'm always surprised when I read that the statue was there until 1947.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

il gatto wrote: »

It was actually erected outside of Leinster House and there were years of arguments about it after the Treary. I remember when I was a kid seeing it dumped lying on its back somewhere - think it was in the grounds of Kilmainham.

number10a wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised she lasted that long! I know we were in the Commonwealth then, but I'm always surprised when I read that the statue was there until 1947.

Yes - Look what happened to Nelson when he hung about too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Was it too much to ask that Nelson was removed from the top and replaced with something more palatable to "true Gaels". Would've saved saved us erecting that odious "sculpture" in it's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

Do the Harry Clarke windows in the UN buildings in Geneva count ? A gift from the Irish nation to the League of Nations

Advertisement