Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

City centre parking

• 18-05-2004 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can lock up in the city centre for 3-4 hours and expect to find my bike as I left it?

I used to have a bike that noone in their right mind would consider stealing, but now I've got my nice shiny Trek I need to be real careful.

I'm probably more concerned about damage than theft (unless it's easy enough for them to get through 2 U-locks, one being a Krypotok Plus).

Any advice?
    Al.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

Try Pearse Street Garda Station, I park there the odd time, just ask the lads inside is it okay. Pretty safe there most of the time. Or Cycle into one of the mutlistory carparks like Dawson street they have a pen for bike and motorbikes. I dont think it costs anything but very safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Where exactly at the Garda station? Is there a place at the front? Didn't think about that but sounds good.

Will investigate multistories also, but I'd prefer somewhere highly visible, like your 1st suggestion.

Cheers!

There is usually a good lampost up near the lights and a rack. Still I park there a lot and to be honest what muppet would be stupid enough to rob a bike from there as there is a fair wack of CCTV around there aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Wrestlemania
    I dont think it costs anything but very safe.
    I think it's €1 or something similar.

From my corpo contact.
    I assume the reference to cycle parking facilities in Multi-Storey carparks was in respect of Dublin City Council MS carparks. Facilities are available in two of our carparks: Dawson Carpark at Schoolhouse Lane and Drury Street Carpark. The arrangement at Dawson is on a yearly basis and costs 15Euro per year. Drury Street costs 1Euro per parking session. I will see what can be done to publicise the facilities in City Council carparks. So far as we are aware the other privately owned carparks do not provide cycleparking facilities.

• Advertisement

Thats not to bad a quid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

last summer I was told my bike prob wasn't safe in a bike only room, inside the building accessible only by swipe card, with a cctv focused on the door. This door led into a supervised car park. Privatly owned.

Moral of the story? Park it only when necessary, visible place, remove all removeables, and if QR lock both whhels to the frame. easy peasy.:dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by uberwolf
    Moral of the story? Park it only when necessary, visible place, remove all removeables, and if QR lock both whhels to the frame. easy peasy.:dunno:

Taken for granted. I'm still concerned about some muppet damaging it :)

Front of copper sounds like a fairly good deterrant!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I've *never* had a problem with malicious damage (commuting daily to college and then work for over ten years, as well as touring) but I have had around 6 or 7 stolen. The last three to go were Trek hybrids (1 x 7200 and 2 x 7300).

I honestly think the problem is generally theft rather than vandalism.

Once someone stole my bottle cages, ignoring my (unlocked) quick-release wheels. That was strange.

After the last Trek went, (Oxford Revolver cable lock x2) I got a good bike (or two) for longer cycles and a cheap 'Eurotrek' hybrid (€100 second-hand) for commuting. No problems so far.

The other thing to consider is insurance. It can be very cheap if you already have household contents - with some policies even free (on our policy the bike was included for theft damage within Ireland and the UK, if named on the policy, or 8% insured value/year for worldwide coverage for when we went touring.) I have claimed, and they did pay up (minus a €30 excess.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Victor - 15 euro a year seems like a very good deal for the Dawson carpark. (1 euro a go would mount up a lot faster!) Do you happen to know what the opening hours are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

I find the likes of Temple Bar Square, Dunnes on Georges St., and outside bars or police stations seems to work just fine - anywhere that you can be sure of lots of people, maybe some security guards or gards

A friend of mine had her bike stolen from outside the GPO recently, where there's usually a steady police presence, so i guess you cant be too careful.

Personal favorite - there's a nice pole outside Thing Mote

Originally posted by blorg
    Victor - 15 euro a year seems like a very good deal for the Dawson carpark. (1 euro a go would mount up a lot faster!) Do you happen to know what the opening hours are?
    I'm not sure - I have seen it open into the evening, but I don't know how late.

Advertisement