Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ermmmm..

Options
  • 22-03-2004 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!

2 quick questions ahead of the Galway cycle this weekend:
    - What is the best way to prepare for a big cycle foodwise?? (As in, what to eat the night before, morning of and during a long cycle)
    - What does one wear under cycling shorts? :dunno: (boxers, briefs, anything?)

Any other tips for non-experienced cyclists to prepare for such a big trip (120 miles) would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
    Brian

PS - Of course, I have been out doing 40 - 60 mile trips for the past 6-8 weeks (I'm not a total idiot! :D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by Dr Pepper
    Hi guys!

2 quick questions ahead of the Galway cycle this weekend:
    - What is the best way to prepare for a big cycle foodwise?? (As in, what to eat the night before, morning of and during a long cycle)

good feed of pasta the day (or even for the 2 or 3 days) - for yor carbo loading. Similar morning of, cereal instead of fry.

During the cycle is the key one IMO. Nutri grain bars are a good one or similar. at least one hourly while on bike. And liquid is key. Lucozade aren't lying, but I'd recommend popping into a bike store (the Yellow Jersey in Leixlip...) and getting high 5 or something similar. Bottle of that hourly as well.

- What does one wear under cycling shorts? :dunno: (boxers, briefs, anything?)

nothing at all. the idea is to avoid chafing. (sp)

Any other tips for non-experienced cyclists to prepare for such a big trip (120 miles) would be greatly appreciated..

keep the gears easy, spin rather than push them. Put pressure into your tyres - makes such a difference. Use the pe;eton trick of drafting off each other 5 mins on the front and rotate, give every one a go.

Can't thin kof anything else right now... sure someone else will

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Thanks uberwolf!
    Originally posted by uberwolf
    nothing at all. the idea is to avoid chafing. (sp)[/B]
    Hmmm... that's what I thought *shudder*. Yeh I noticed some of that chaffing alright! Got a gel saddle cover at the weekend and that seems to help a lot too..

I'll start on the pasta on Wednesday and stock up on the nutri-grains and Lucozade (although prob better to buy along the way).. We're meeting for brekkie on Friday morning at 5:00am :( so hopefully they'll know better than to serve up a big greasy fry!

I think travelling in a group will make it a lot easier and the pace is supposed to be fairly handy. The only thing I'm anxious about now is the weather. Don't fancy 120miles into the kind of gales we saw this weekend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Eat small but often - when u get hungry on a long one it's then too late and that'll be you in the broom wagon! :(

As for shorts commando is the only way! :p

Dizz

Yeh, the same theory about eating applies in hill walking. It's often happened to me on the bike lately.. I start to get a bit hungry, and then before I know it, I just get totally wrecked (out of nowhere). Thanks for the reminder!

What's the "broom wagon"? Are you doing the cycle yourself Dizz? Is anyone here doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

What's the "broom wagon"?

its what cyclist affectionately call the last van on the road that sweeps up all the debris that the bunch has cast out. Typically drives just outside that 10% time limit allowed to riders in a stage race.
    :)

• Advertisement

Ah.. I understand.. There's a similar system in operation for the Galway cycle (which will be utilised to the limit!). Hopefully I won't experience it first hand though.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brainstorm

yeah as uber said... carboload from about today on.... on the cycle eat little but often and go through perhaps a bottle an hour (maybe) .....

Things to eat on the cycle:

bananas, dried fruit or even some fruit cake, small little sandwiches. When u feel like crap! treat size choc bars or somethin u like (open the wrappers before hand) so that wont have to kill yourself try to eat and cycle at the same time also make sure its something easy to digest and not something u'll be chewing on for ages...... (ah my stage racing days :) i ate better in them then i did off the bike!)

as for the lucozade, make sure its the still sport one, the others will just destroy anything it gets spilt on and its sticky too......

Again as said previously, dont push big gears, unless your able.... lets say if ur on the front of the bunch and ur pushing a 53 *15 or lower, then when u come back put it in 53 *19/17 and just pedal till its ur turn on the front.... same applies if ur sitting in for the spin just pedal high revs but not to high just comfortable...

most of all have a laugh.

Well, I made it :D

Cycled every inch of the way there and back (240 miles!!!).. I am pretty sore and tired now but it was a great weekend. Thank you all for the good advice. It served me well on the road and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brainstorm

I am pretty sore and tired now

good to see you completed the cycle.... did u do any stretching afterwards??? it is a good idea to go out asap for about an hour and just do an easy ride, pushing a very low gear (39 *19/17) to loosen out and stuff. or just use ur indoor trainer if u have one... its very important to improve the recovery process by doing this extra spin and stretchin as well....

Advertisement