Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel pass on Aircoach.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I can only surmise that Foggy_Lad has been away for a while,or perhaps in his quest to lay all blame for all ills at the Bus Drivers feet has just failed the acid test.

The Forged DSP passes in circulation today are of a VERY high quality,and as with the fake Driving Licences,only identifiable under magnification.
    So because a small number of forgeries are good quality ye don't bother checking any of them?
    Dublin Bus revenue teams are confiscating DSP passes on a daily basis,usually due to discrepancies concerning ID or due to illegibility.
    Why is it left to revenue teams to do this which is in reality the work of drivers who are the first line of defence?
    However the DSP themselves appear less than willing to support Dublin Bus efforts by mounting joint operations similar to the Revenue/NTA/Garda Taxi stings which cause such uproar amongst the iffy elements of that trade.
    If CIE staff did their duty effeciently and properly there would be no need for joint operations costing the taxpayer thousands in overtine and mileage allowances and expenses.
    Why is Photo ID not mandatory for ALL DSP Free Passes ?
    Ask the DSP?
    It is perfectly valid,I believe,to seek an explanation from the DSP as to why it has consistently refused to embrace Fraud resistant technology such as Smart-Cards,in favour of a Free-Pass of such a basic and easily forged design ?

My own belief is that the DSP Free Travel scheme,all 726,000 elements of it is but one of this Governments schemes to keep people sweet....carry them around the place for free and they'll not be too angry..start charging them a fare and they'll go ballistic !

Perhaps when the relevant responsible agencies have been grilled,can Foggy_Lad come a huntin for Busdrivers scalps....:o
    I agree and that is why the pensioners junkies and headbangers may put up with having their medical cards means tested but they won't allow their free travel to be touched!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

foggy_lad wrote: »
    So because a small large number of forgeries are good quality ye don't bother checking any of them?.....Sez who ?

Why is it left to revenue teams to do this which is in reality the work of drivers who are the first line of defence?

The clue is most likely in the titles...Revenue Protection Unit-Inspector.

Busdriver.

A Drivers primary function is,perhaps unbeliveably,to DRIVE the bus,or at least in most functional systems it is.
    Somewhat incredibly,in Dublin,Busdrivers spend a significantly higher amount of their work-time attending to a wide variety of other customer "needs"

If CIE staff did their duty effeciently and properly there would be no need for joint operations costing the taxpayer thousands in overtine and mileage allowances and expenses.

With 726,000 legitimate Free Travel passes in circulation,I'm suggesting that Foggy_Lad would only go ballistic at the level of delay which would occur should I decide to check EVERY DSP scrip flashed,tapped or advised to me....I suppose Foggy would then accuse me of "Working to Rule" :rolleyes:

I note that when the same "CIE" Staff do actually act robustly in the furtherance of their duties,Foggy_Lad is usually,and often, to be found in the Vanguard of the highly offended ....Perhaps there IS a way to satisfy his particular needs,but I'll admit I'm struggling to find it.

Ask the DSP?
    As I'm not actually a customer of theirs (yet!) I'll leave the asking to those who are closer to their hearts. :)

I agree and that is why the pensioners junkies and headbangers may put up with having their medical cards means tested but they won't allow their free travel to be touched!

At this particular point in time,the DSP have been faffing about with their much vaunted Public Service Smartcard for what seems an era...

http://www.cfit.ie/news-and-commentary-archive/477-publicservicesmartcard

Two years on and we know as much as we did then....:(

This is about as good as it gets.....

http://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2008-05-14.430.0&s=Smart+Cards#g438.3

Remind me again,Foggy_Lad,how much is a Departmental Secretary General on these days....?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

With 726,000 legitimate Free Travel passes in circulation,I'm suggesting that Foggy_Lad would only go ballistic at the level of delay which would occur should I decide to check EVERY DSP scrip flashed,tapped or advised to me....I suppose Foggy would then accuse me of "Working to Rule"

I note that when the same "CIE" Staff do actually act robustly in the furtherance of their duties,Foggy_Lad is usually,and often, to be found in the Vanguard of the highly offended
    There is a difference between doing your job as laid down in the list of duties notified to each and every employee of Dublin Bus and overstepping the level of authority which comes with the job. A Garda can't pick people up off the street and lock them away in Mountjoy for a few years as they do not have that authority, just as a bus driver or Irish Rail employee does not have the authority to demand photographic or any identification apart from a sample of the signiture of any holder of a free travel pass.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

junkies get free passes,their classed as disabled,great use of taxes

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

foggy_lad wrote: »
    With 726,000 legitimate Free Travel passes in circulation,I'm suggesting that Foggy_Lad would only go ballistic at the level of delay which would occur should I decide to check EVERY DSP scrip flashed,tapped or advised to me....I suppose Foggy would then accuse me of "Working to Rule"

I note that when the same "CIE" Staff do actually act robustly in the furtherance of their duties,Foggy_Lad is usually,and often, to be found in the Vanguard of the highly offended
    There is a difference between doing your job as laid down in the list of duties notified to each and every employee of Dublin Bus and overstepping the level of authority which comes with the job. A Garda can't pick people up off the street and lock them away in Mountjoy for a few years as they do not have that authority, just as a bus driver or Irish Rail employee does not have the authority to demand photographic or any identification apart from a sample of the signiture of any holder of a free travel pass.

Well then let every bus driver ask each and every possessor of a golden ticket for a sample of their signature.

Of course it'll be only a matter of hours before the complaints begin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

parsi wrote: »
    Well then let every bus driver ask each and every possessor of a golden ticket for a sample of their signature.

Of course it'll be only a matter of seconds hours before the complaints begin.

Just to add,I have adopted this on occasion and continue to do so,particularly when I note a spouse/partner entitlement being offered to some lucky stranger.....some will brazen it out,whilst others will admit and pay.

However, it ALWAYS causes a considerable delay to the journey and therefore to those who are being asked to finance the entire thing by paying a fare,so I choose to adopt this approach sparingly...whether it meets Foggy_lad's approval or not ! :rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Just to add,I have adopted this on occasion and continue to do so,particularly when I note a spouse/partner entitlement being offered to some lucky stranger.....some will brazen it out,whilst others will admit and pay.

However, it ALWAYS causes a considerable delay to the journey and therefore to those who are being asked to finance the entire thing by paying a fare,so I choose to adopt this approach sparingly...whether it meets Foggy_lad's approval or not ! :rolleyes:
    The easiest and most practical change that can be made to the system is to make possession of photo id(passport, Driving licence or Gardai age card) mandatory for everyone using the free travel pass, this would take a while to introduce but if announced now and introduced in two or three months that would be plenty of time for genuine pass holders to get themselves the required photo id. The Photopass required for some pass holders is too easy to get hold of so should be abolished! because all you need is the slip of paper from the pass and a bill and PPS card of the real holder and you can get your picture on someone elses photopass so that they report their pass missing but give it to you and they then get a new pass in the post.

I am agreeing about photo id being needed but it should not be demanded by CIE staff because there is legally at this time no obligation for pass holders to provide photo id.

CIE could of course insist on getting photo Id from Every single pasesenger as a security measure but they would have to check every single passenger and this would just not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭James Delaney

Can some1 please confirm the up to date position re AirCoach accepting Free Travel passes in Dublin - nothing seems to be on google.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Can some1 please confirm the up to date position re AirCoach accepting Free Travel passes in Dublin - nothing seems to be on google.

http://www.aircoach.ie/fares/route-704-x-cork-dublin-city-dublin-airport

http://www.aircoach.ie/fares/route-704-x-cork-dublin-city-dublin-airport
    On the production of a valid Department of Social Protection Travel Pass a free travel pass ticket will be issued on the following routes:

Route 700: Dublin Airport - Dublin City Centre - Leopardstown
    Route 702: Dublin Airport - Ballsbridge - Bray – Greystones
    Route 703: Dublin Airport - Dalkey - Killiney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 and a lot of people obviously below pension age who flash their disability passes at the drivers don't look very disabled to me.

The travel pass isn't just available to disabled people with physical disabilities you know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Good idea, MD. Plus they need to include the Killarney horse and traps, any cruise ferries stopping in Cobh, the Viking Splash and the passenger train in Liffey Valley shopping centre and the Azooalagical gardens.

Thats not far off, I've heard some give out that the pass won't allow them a free sail and rail ticket. They were going to Cheltenham for the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This thread was resurrected after a four year break, the poster (#39) got his reply so can we put it to bed now please?

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Thats not far off, I've heard some give out that the pass won't allow them a free sail and rail ticket. They were going to Cheltenham for the races.

Ahhh come off it - thats a bit far fetched.
    The Good Fri Agreement didn't go that far.
    Maybe we should renegoiate it. Lol

I don't begrudge anyone the free travel pass - pensioners or those on invalidy state pension. We'll all benefit from it eventually & With the new photo social services card -the abuse of this facility is minimised.

coylemj wrote: »
    This thread was resurrected after a four year break, the poster (#39) got his reply so can we put it to bed now please?

Ageed - I hope your opinion has changed.

Advertisement