Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abus helmets appalling aftersales

Options
  • 03-10-2014 5:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭

I purchased an Abus Adura helmet with integrated LED rear lamp. A few months later had the battery replaced. The lamp popped out on a spin. I contacted my LBS where I purchased it and was told that the part was unavailable and that the helmet would have to be replaced.

One would have thought that this would be a replaceable part considering the nature that it could pop out or get damaged and also with the amount of different helmets that are fitted with them.

Their customer service is non existent.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... the part was unavailable and that the helmet would have to be replaced..

Their customer service is non existent. ..
    Were they willing to replace at no cost to you?

If so, I'd call that good customer service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭Rotunda Shill

Were they willing to replace at no cost to you?

If so, I'd call that good customer service.

Did I mention at no cost?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you didn't specify, which is what i assume led to WA's question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Your contract was with the bike shop, not the manufacturer.
    Demand one of the following at shop's discretion:
    1) Repair.
    2) Replacement.
    3) Refund.

As 1 and 2 appear to be non-runners, demand your money back.

Ill know within a few days

Contacted overseas headquarters in that department.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Demand one of the following at shop's discretion:
    1) Repair.
    2) Replacement.
    3) Refund.
    at shop's discretion is not necessarily what you're entitled to - as far as i know, the law is vague on this, but your discretion can come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

at shop's discretion is not necessarily what you're entitled to - as far as i know, the law is vague on this, but your discretion can come into it.
    the op states the lbs said the helmet would have to be replaced, so the lbs should replace the helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

The shop has no discretion in the case of faulty or not fit for purpose goods under SOGASOSA.

The shop has no discretion in the case of faulty or not fit for purpose goods under SOGASOSA.
    that had been my understanding, but this is from the citizen's information site:
    "It is important to note that there are no hard and fast rules as to which remedy you should be entitled to. When seeking redress for problems with goods or services the circumstances of each individual case must be taken into account."
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

They can repair or replace as a first port of call. Depending on the repairability of the product or the manufacturer to retailer conditions of warranty replacement is usually the solution that the retailer will offer.

As the consumer generally desires the product which they purchased in the first place refunds might not come into the equation until there has been an issue with the repaired / replacement product or a long protracted frustrating period of dealing with the issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I purchased an Abus Adura helmet with integrated LED rear lamp. A few months later had the battery replaced. The lamp popped out on a spin. I contacted my LBS where I purchased it and was told that the part was unavailable and that the helmet would have to be replaced.

One would have thought that this would be a replaceable part considering the nature that it could pop out or get damaged and also with the amount of different helmets that are fitted with them.

Their customer service is non existent.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Not sure what's missing.

Are the shop saying you have to replace the helmet from your own pocket? How many months is a 'few' months and how long since you bought it?
    Is the helmet still in warranty period?

If in warranty it should be a straight replacement.

If it's an issue that had sat for a while eg bought the lid last year, battery used up over spring and light falls loose through MTBing or something that is considered reasonable wear and tear, there may be nothing for it other than move onto a different helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

who replaced the battery, you or the shop?

stecleary wrote: »

I replaced the battery and the helmet was out of warranty. My point was the smart remark from the Abus agent that the helmet would have to be replaced as the part is unavailable as a replacement part.

I replaced the battery and the helmet was out of warranty. My point was the smart remark from the Abus agent that the helmet would have to be replaced as the part is unavailable as a replacement part.

For something like this considering the range of helmets that contain this feature one would expect the part to be available.

when you mention it was a smart remark, you mean it was delivered sarcastically, or simply that you were unhappy with the answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I agree that it is poor service from the shop, but I wouldn't waste my time when I know I can get a flashing led on ebay for 3 Euro and stick it on the back of my helmet or bike.

when you mention it was a smart remark, you mean it was delivered sarcastically, or simply that you were unhappy with the answer?

Both.

When one compares this to a company like Sram that supplies every single minute itemized part from their current range.

I agree that it is poor service from the shop, but I wouldn't waste my time when I know I can get a flashing led on ebay for 3 Euro and stick it on the back of my helmet or bike.

Its not the point, if a company carrys a current range of products they should at least back them up with parts particularly if it is contains components that can get damaged or misplaced.

Ill know during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I replaced the battery

The reason I added is people are suggesting the shop should be replacing it at their cosy. Not a hope. You were responsible for fitting it and it could be the reason it has come off. I agree the shop/manufacturer should be able to source the part but only at your expense

The reason I added is people are suggesting the shop should be replacing it at their cosy. Not a hope. You were responsible for fitting it and it could be the reason it has come off. I agree the shop/manufacturer should be able to source the part but only at your expense

I have no problem paying for it.

(As long as it is not going to be 1/2 the price of the helmet)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

On the contrary, I found Abus service to be above and beyond.

Partner's bike was stolen, with the frame holder for her Bordo Granit x plus attached. She still had the lock. (I trust ye can spot the obvious issue here....). I went looking in the Abus website to see if a replacement was available, but it's not an item they sell separately. I dropped them a quick email asking if they would sell one, and go a reply within an hour asking for my address. A free holder arrived within a week.

Don't bother with the shop, OP. Get in touch with Abus directly and explain the problem.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    On the contrary, I found Abus service to be above and beyond.

Partner's bike was stolen, with the frame holder for her Bordo Granit x plus attached. She still had the lock. (I trust ye can spot the obvious issue here....). I went looking in the Abus website to see if a replacement was available, but it's not an item they sell separately. I dropped them a quick email asking if they would sell one, and go a reply within an hour asking for my address. A free holder arrived within a week.

Don't bother with the shop, OP. Get in touch with Abus directly and explain the problem.

I have done and waiting for a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

For something like this considering the range of helmets that contain this feature one would expect the part to be available.

Out of warranty, well that's your bad luck.

As for the non-availability of (out of warranty) parts that you consider to be replacable, I don't see how that's "appaling" or "non existant" aftersales service.

el tel wrote: »
    Out of warranty, well that's your bad luck.

As for the non-availability of (out of warranty) parts that you consider to be replacable, I don't see how that's "appaling" or "non existant" aftersales service.

Answer to that is one would expect some kind of a back up service with their product. Other companies such as Sram, Kryptonite or Cat Eye that have and excellent back up as I have experienced in the past.

Advertisement