Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommendations on Road bike

• 05-10-2014 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Budget 2k
    Bike to work scheme

Looked at;
    Thompson PILOT-RC Carbon (105 COMPACT 10spd ) + Ultegra wheels approx.
    Giant TCR Advanced 1

Is the Thompson brand any good?
    Is it worth upgrading wheels? TRC-420 (are on Thompson Pilot RC bike) and Ultegra (€250 upgrade).
    What differences are there in Carbon frames?
    What Groupset should I consider in this price point?
    Would a Trek/Felt/Specialized be any better? Bigger brand but are you just paying for name rather than spec?
    As well as performance I’m looking for something comfortable (have lower back pain).

I seen Canyon mentioned on here, are they available through Bike to Work scheme?
    Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'd be more inclined to go for the Thompson Sirius 2.0 with 105 compact groupset. Its €1999 and a light bike at 7.35kg compared to the Pilot at 8.7kg (you'd probably lose 300g with the ultegra wheels but its still a heavyish bike at that)

I was looking at the Thompson Force in a local shop, its a stunning bike in the flesh and one I may consider when the time comes for me to change bikes.

Advertisement