Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Foggy conditions in East Cork

• 02-10-2011 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

mods move if this is the wrong forum

Basically I'm trying to figure out why there is so much fog (very thick at that) in my area in East Cork in the last few days. It's only October like.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

mods move if this is the wrong forum

Basically I'm trying to figure out why there is so much fog (very thick at that) in my area in East Cork in the last few days. It's only October like.

Thanks in advance

I can't tell you the exact reason why for your area right now, but September and October are the foggiest months of the year.

See here for 30 year average for Cork airport, go right to the bottom, Sep and Oct foggiest months.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

As you mention this, I thought fog only appeared when it was pretty cold outside. I noticed the other night when it was about 16°c and found it pretty strange..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Dew point lads ~~ look it up.

Get the dew point right and you have fog, mist or frost as appropriate for the temperature.

Do come back with the answer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The southerly flow this week has dragged high levels of moisture with it from sub tropical regions. As this air moves over increasingly colder seas its temperature gradually falls towards the dewpoint, hence 100% relative humidity and fog. Right in the firing line has been the south coast, I'm afraid.

It doesn't need to be cold for fog to form. If the air is sufficiently humid (high dewpoint), then fog will form if the temperature meets this value. Fog is common in Dubai, where dewpoints are often in the high 20s or low 30s.

Advertisement