Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Once-weekly rural buses

• 23-12-2018 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

There are many Bus Eireann PSO services which run only once weekly. They provide a valuable transport link to the people of rural communities, like the many Local Link services.

One of the problems with running a service once weekly is that without altering the timetable, several services each year will not operate due to holidays. This obviously has much more of an impact than where a route runs daily or several times weekly.

For example, any service which operates only on Mondays loses at least five services per year to bank holidays. Most significantly, services which operate on the same day as Christmas Day (Tuesday this year) see two consecutive weeks with no service due to Christmas Day and New Year's Day - a 21 day gap between services.

Like in most areas served by Local Link buses, these once-weekly Bus Eireann services are often the only public transport available, and many rely on them. Considering this, should the NTA alter the PSO contract so that where possible, once-weekly services should either run on holidays or run on an alternative day (depending on what is appropriate for the particular holiday)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

running them on another day is probably not possible as the vehicle and driver will be operating another route that day. Would there actually be any passengers if it ran on the Bank Holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Quite a few of those one day a week routes were to bring passengers to and from marts and markets and other local events. Perhaps these events don't take place on public holidays and won't require a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Isambard wrote: »
    running them on another day is probably not possible as the vehicle and driver will be operating another route that day. Would there actually be any passengers if it ran on the Bank Holiday?

Most of the once a week services are operated by the schools fleet and the non BE drivers who work the schools services, it's part of their contract.

There would be no issue at this time of the year for bus availability, as for driver availability, that could be an issue.

i was under the impression that BE school buses were driven by BE drivers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A huge amount of the BE schools services are contracted out entirely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

To clarify, as L1011 pointed out most (around 90%) of services are contracted. The remaining are operated by BE staff who are temporary and only contracted to operate the schools services (and the weekly services), they are not regular BE staff who operate other services.

L1011 wrote: »
    A huge amount of the BE schools services are contracted out entirely

yes I know that's why I said BE school buses. Obviously private run buses aren't driven by BE staff, but their own buses are driven by their own staff. I'd call them part-time rather than temporary, but I haven't seen their contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Quite a few of those one day a week routes were to bring passengers to and from marts and markets and other local events. Perhaps these events don't take place on public holidays and won't require a service.
    And local courts.

Advertisement