Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would an Electric Bike be worth it?

Options
  • 30-09-2018 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

I am considering buying an electric bike to travel to/from work.

I am working by the IFSC in Dublin and have a 10km journey each way.

At the moment, it takes over an hour to travel to work via public transport. But according to google maps, it would take 35 minutes each way if I were to cycle.

So, I am looking at buying a bike to save time.

I’ve looked briefly at electric bikes, but am not sure what the best option would be.

The prices vary, so I am wondering what the differences are between them:

1. Range - I would be happy with a bike with a range of 20km

2. Speed - I would like to have the max speed possIble, but if they all have a similar max speed, then I would probably just go for the one with a range of 20km-ish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

The cycling forum would be better able to advise on specifics but in general an electric bike has to be limited to 25 km/h and 250 watts in order to be street legal, otherwise you need insurance and a license see https://www.halfords.ie/advice/cycling/expert-advice/e-bikes-faqs

Personally my main issue is with the cycling infrastructure in this country, especially the degree to which you have to interact with motorised traffic. Electric bikes represent an amazing opportunity to get people out of cars and it's just being ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

An electric bike will enable you to reach work relatively sweat free depending on how much of the power you use. In this country though it's hard/impossible to gauge the weather so you will need to wear/take oils i.e. proper fisherman type pu rain gear. Otherwise it will be misery.
    Legally you are allowed a250watt motor . This is fine. Best would be a 250w 36v 10Ah + bike. But a250w24v 8Ah would do you grand as well and the older less powerful 24v models are a couple hundred less.
    Should get a reasonably good new for 1000. Or if you are a civil servant a bit more!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Where are you coming from? If it's a flat trip, 35 minutes sounds a little like an overestimate. There's no actual speed limit on an electric bike, it's just that - to be considered legal - the assistance from the motor has to cease once you hit 25km/h. There's no issue with exceeding this, but you'll be completely under your own steam above that.

How fit are you? Might be worth borrowing a normal bike to try it first. Unfortunately it's the worse end of the summer to start trying...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sweg

Where are you coming from? If it's a flat trip, 35 minutes sounds a little like an overestimate. There's no actual speed limit on an electric bike, it's just that - to be considered legal - the assistance from the motor has to cease once you hit 25km/h. There's no issue with exceeding this, but you'll be completely under your own steam above that.

How fit are you? Might be worth borrowing a normal bike to try it first. Unfortunately it's the worse end of the summer to start trying...

I'll be traveling from templeogue, Google maps says it's fairly flat so it might be a bit quicker, as you say.

I'm not very fit, but looking to use the bike as an opportunity to change that also, even with the electric motor! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, its more like 25 mins. From the village to SCR should only take you 12-15 mins then theres a few slow bits navigating the one ways/congestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

lalababa wrote: »
    In this country though it's hard/impossible to gauge the weather so you will need to wear/take oils i.e. proper fisherman type pu rain gear. Otherwise it will be misery.

You don't need fisherman's clothing. Firstly it doesn't rain that much in Dublin, secondly cycling rain gear will keep you dry most of the time. Thirdly just have a change of clothes in work if you happen to get caught out.

Sweg wrote: »
    I'll be traveling from templeogue, Google maps says it's fairly flat so it might be a bit quicker, as you say.

I'm not very fit, but looking to use the bike as an opportunity to change that also, even with the electric motor! :)

You'll not improve your fitness by much on an electric bike with such a short trip

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah, its more like 25 mins. From the village to SCR should only take you 12-15 mins then theres a few slow bits navigating the one ways/congestion.

Thanks for that. Would you think there's much of a need for an electric bike or would I get away with the standard?
    Also, I could get the standard bike through the bike to work scheme too

You don't need fisherman's clothing. Firstly it doesn't rain that much in Dublin, secondly cycling rain gear will keep you dry most of the time. Thirdly just have a change of clothes in work if you happen to get caught out.

That was going to be my next question, if cycling gear would do me.

I've been using the Dublin bikes just getting used to cycling on the roads, and I'm cycling from IFSC to portabello, and with just normal work clothes, I'm fairly soaked in sweat.

Is there any specific gear to combat against sweat?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I've been using the Dublin bikes just getting used to cycling on the roads, and I'm cycling from IFSC to portabello, and with just normal work clothes, I'm fairly soaked in sweat.

If you are sweating then you are probably wearing too much when cycling. Take a layer or two off before you leave, tights as well, and it will help.

• Advertisement

Are you wearing a backpack? They are basically sweet central on bikes .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'd be a fairly fit cyclist and any short trip on a Dublin/Paris/London bike has me pouring with sweat, they're horrible bikes. A decent commuter or ideally a roadbike is no comparison, 10 km is nothing, dress light and take your time and you'll be bone dry at your destination.

Thargor wrote: »
    I'd be a fairly fit cyclist and any short trip on a Dublin/Paris/London bike has me pouring with sweat, they're horrible bikes. A decent commuter or ideally a roadbike is no comparison, 10 km is nothing, dress light and take your time and you'll be bone dry at your destination.

Ok, so for the 10km journey, is it worth spending the extra money on the electric bike?

If it's not going to make me go any faster, I wouldn't bother getting the electric bike

Are you wearing a backpack? They are basically sweet central on bikes .

Yeah, I do have a backpack, would have to find some work around for that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ok, so for the 10km journey, is it worth spending the extra money on the electric bike?

If it's not going to make me go any faster, I wouldn't bother getting the electric bike
    Not for 10k if you've no medical issues, it's a flat route, you'll look back at this thread when you get into it and cringe at asking about 10k, its 25 minutes effort, it'll be your favourite part of the day in a few weeks. See if your job is still offering the bike to work scheme.

Good cycling stuff in Aldi today if you want to grab a few bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

My big hate with cycling always was and is cycling into a headwind.. Mightn't be an issue on your route, but just for that I'd go electric..
    If you can get a good removable pannier/back pack that would make life easier..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A Carrier and panniers, or Front Basket

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Yes. Get the bike

Panier. Job done

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jem72

I cycled from Lucan to Pearse street for several years and could do that in 35 minutes with a clear run of lights without breaking too much of a sweat. I used a good light-weight mountain bike with road tyres. It only took a minute or two longer than a road-bike and reliability was better due to fewer punctures. Good tyres like Gatorskins are a lot cheaper now than they used to be so perhaps that equation has changed. Whatever you go for, carry a spare tube and the tools to change out a flat.

I hate rain gear and usually didn't bother - just changed into work clothes when I got in. If you must have rain gear, try to get GoreTex. Dublin's geography is idea for cycling if you're working in the city centre as it's generally downhill on the way in so you don't have to bust yourself getting to work. It also rains less than you think - I found ice in the winter to be a bigger issue. If rain is really bad, just get the bus.

If you're relatively fit, you don't need an electric bike. You can get your workout on the way home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

An electric bike beats Dublin Bus on nearly any peak-time commute, only perhaps on N11 or N4 corridors.

Make sure you have secure parking at both ends and invest in two locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

An electric bike beats Dublin Bus on nearly any peak-time commute, only perhaps on N11 or N4 corridors.

Make sure you have secure parking at both ends and invest in two locks.

Jem72 wrote: »
    I cycled from Lucan to Pearse street for several years and could do that in 35 minutes with a clear run of lights without breaking too much of a sweat. I used a good light-weight mountain bike with road tyres. It only took a minute or two longer than a road-bike and reliability was better due to fewer punctures. Good tyres like Gatorskins are a lot cheaper now than they used to be so perhaps that equation has changed. Whatever you go for, carry a spare tube and the tools to change out a flat.

I hate rain gear and usually didn't bother - just changed into work clothes when I got in. If you must have rain gear, try to get GoreTex. Dublin's geography is idea for cycling if you're working in the city centre as it's generally downhill on the way in so you don't have to bust yourself getting to work. It also rains less than you think - I found ice in the winter to be a bigger issue. If rain is really bad, just get the bus.

If you're relatively fit, you don't need an electric bike. You can get your workout on the way home.

You cycled at 25-30 kph for 35 minutes without breaking a sweet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Bopping along at 20-30 kph for 25 minutes is not going to get you particularly sweaty, the stopping and accelerating back up to those speeds will, however. The electric bike will take care of that element for you and make things go a lot easier including carrying a pannier with any extra gear you need. If you are just commuting the electric bike is a great option.

However, be warned, cycling is a lot of fun and you may wish to use the opportunity to get a bit of extra exercise. In that case, have a look at a regular bike. Hybrids are a good mix of speed and comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Unless you are really really unfit, an eBike is not going to get you along a 10k journey much (if any) quicker than a good light road or hybrid.

The difference is how you'll be when you arrive at your destination. An ebike can see you arrive fresh as a daisy whereas to match the same pace on a regular bike might necessitate a shower at the end if you don't want to be sitting in sweaty clothes all day.

On the whole exercise point, you can still definitely get a good workout on an ebike. Many people commuting take it easy on the way to work and then hammer it a bit on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you want to get fit, ride fast and change clothes. It won't save you time over going slower and not changing clothes/wiping yourself down. But you'll get fitter.

You may sweat if new to cycling regardless of effort.

An ebike isn't faster per se, you can just go the same speed with less effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I'd recommend first getting a cheapish secondhand bike from cyclesuperstore, this way you can educate yourself on what type of bike you'd really like to use up your bike to work tax break on in the near future.

However regarding your question on electric bikes there are good a few advantages over an ordinary bike for commuting.
    An e bike won't be affected by even strong headwinds, very important on a wet windy day heading home from work in the dark and its lashing rain into you face.
    You will also be able to wear much heavier warpterproof gear on an e bike as it won't hinder your performance like an on ordinary bike.
    You can also bring more heavy stuff with you on an e bike without affecting commute times.

And for me number one reason to have an e bike in town is ,It's much easier to obey Red traffic lights on an e bike because you can stop regularly without worrying about losing all you hard earned momentum, this is a major issue on any ordinary bike. Also when taking off from lights you can accelerate away quicker from the masses on ordinary bikes making journeys safer.
    You also won't sweat anywhere near as much on an ebike and therefore can wear a much broader range of clothing commuting.

The cost of charging an ebike is minimal, probably would use 1kwh electricity for one week commute from templeogue to ifsc.
    If you're buying try and go for a well known manufacturer like Bosch, anything else will be false economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Andy31

I have an e bike - bought it with the cycle to work scheme. I also work in the IFSC.

I live relatively close to you OP - Rathfarnham although further up by the mountains. The e bike is a dream - arrive into work sweat free (I bring a change of clothes as I don't want to ruin my work clothes through cycling - but no need for a shower when i arrive into work).

Really the main reason i bought the e bike though was for the journey home - there is minimal effort (you can put in the effort if you want though!) and, after being kept back late at work, the last thing I want is to have to kill myself getting home (I get my exercise in elsewhere). It is very little effort with the e bike and the main headwind is straight against you coming home from that direction. There are more hills than you think too - for example the road from rathmines to rathgar is one long, killer hill. The bike makes that very easy - you'll be gliding past people :D. However if it's exercise you want - go for a normal commuting bike.

However, e bike or ordinary bike, there really is no substitute for the bike as a commuting vehicle in general.

I had to drive this morning for work reasons - nightmare. Took ages and crawling in, after 30 mins or so in the car (and barely out of Rathfarnham village) i was thinking I'd be in work and queueing for my coffee by now!

Enjoy!

Advertisement