Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who has right of way? See picture

Options
  • 27-09-2018 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Yeah I got out my ms paint skills for this one..

So between the car in lane A and in lane B, turning left, who has the right to turn into lane 2? Or rather, which lane should you be in to enter lane 2?

I'm almost certain it's lane A, as are probably about 2 thirds of drivers at one of my local junctions set up like this.

The other third, however, beg to differ!

Either way, that's a lot of people who just don't know, and always seem 100% sure they're right when they barge in!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭dclifford

B. Have you got a google map example?

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Is this a real junction? Or a hypothetical one where we're being asked to decide traffic flow in a junction which doesn't exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭salad17

As requested, here is the real one. This is in Cork, and actually there are a number of junctions with this issue/layout.

I flipped it so it would match the image. The truck here is in lane A.

Traffic from lane A tends to fill lane 2 and 3, while traffic from Lane B tends to fill lane 1.

But as I said there is always competition and pushing from cars in land A and B to get into lane 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Is this a real junction? Or a hypothetical one where we're being asked to decide traffic flow in a junction which doesn't exist?

There's a similar junction here coming off the N3 at the Blanchardstown centre, albeit it with 2 lanes turning right to where there's 3.

https://goo.gl/maps/1qMeo4J5pGH2
    Some drivers in the right lane when they get through the junction to go north-ish on the R121 drift into the middle lane and don't seem to understand why another car may be there already, the car that was in the left lane for turning right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Gas I went through this exact junction earlier wondering the exact same thing. I wanted to be in lane 2 but I went from A to 1 then moved to 2 to avoid conflict. Normally people have trouble here going the rotated 180° direction, where 2 become 4.

Edit: that should read A to 3.

• Advertisement

I think of it like a roundabout, where left lane is for exit 1 and 2 and right lane is for exit 3..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Lane A should turn into Lane 3. No reason why it should cut across a car coming from Lane B who has an entitlement to go to lane 2.

From a purely common sense perspective, if Lane A goes into lane 3 there will be no problems. Lane B should though go to lane 3 if a truck needs the extra turning space that would block lane 2. Again, just common sense.

Cork's junctions and quays are a disaster. I hate driving there.

Rodin wrote: »
    Lane A should turn into Lane 3. No reason why it should cut across a car coming from Lane B who has an entitlement to go to lane 2.

From a purely common sense perspective, if Lane A goes into lane 3 there will be no problems. Lane B should though go to lane 3 if a truck needs the extra turning space that would block lane 2. Again, just common sense.

Cork's junctions and quays are a disaster. I hate driving there.

Well A goes to 3 and B goes to 1, that's common sense. I don't see how common sense could dictate who goes to the middle lane, they both seem equelly entitled to it from looking at the map, but the rules of the road must give right of way to one over the other.

I mean if lane B just went to lane 1 then there would also be no problems, the exact same as if lane A only went to lane 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

I would say

A>>3
    B>>2
    to get to 1: B>>2>>1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

A and C both to 3 only. B to 2 in either direction, no direct access to 1 during the turn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I don't think anyone has right of way, the junction is stupid and needs lane markings on the turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

markpb wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has right of way, the junction is stupid and needs lane markings on the turn.

Quite right. Junction is in need of markings. Problem here is we are looking at the junction in isolation, and not looking at the general lane layout in the area.

So in advance of the junction before you get to point A, you are told by signage that you can go to the N27 in lane A and B.

But you can't go to the N27 from Lane 1. Therefore, it makes sense that Lane A should be for Lane 1 and 2. And Lane B should be for Lane 3 only.

I know that and most people do. But some people don't know the road layout in advance and this is what causes problems - i.e. someone in Lane B insisting on going into Lane 2.

I'd love to see the yellow box removed, and replaced with lined guiding through junctions like this. Have them coloured yellow for example and have the same law as a yellow box apply to such junctions.

Colm R wrote: »
    Quite right. Junction is in need of markings. Problem here is we are looking at the junction in isolation, and not looking at the general lane layout in the area.

So in advance of the junction before you get to point A, you are told by signage that you can go to the N27 in lane A and B.

But you can't go to the N27 from Lane 1. Therefore, it makes sense that Lane A should be for Lane 1 and 2. And Lane B should be for Lane 3 only.

I know that and most people do. But some people don't know the road layout in advance and this is what causes problems - i.e. someone in Lane B insisting on going into Lane 2.

I'd love to see the yellow box removed, and replaced with lined guiding through junctions like this. Have them coloured yellow for example and have the same law as a yellow box apply to such junctions.

I think you're mixing up lane 1 and 3 according to the diagram, but yes I think you're right

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

salad17 wrote: »
    I think you're mixing up lane 1 and 3 according to the diagram, but yes I think you're right

:D D'oh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So between the car in lane A and in lane B, turning left, who has the right to turn into lane 2? Or rather, which lane should you be in to enter lane 2?

I'm almost certain it's lane A, as are probably about 2 thirds of drivers at one of my local junctions set up like this.

Either way, that's a lot of people who just don't know, and always seem 100% sure they're right when they barge in!

Lads, make this easy for us.

462466.png
    462464.png

These lanes should be independently signalled to stop such messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yeah I got out my ms paint skills for this one..

Wtf sort of junction is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

no one has a right of way. Traffic from the left of the two left turning lanes can chose left or centre lane, right hand of the two can chose the centre or right lane , in both cases if their way is clear to do so (based on first diagram). Obviously if a car ahead of them in the other lane choses "their" desired lane, they will have to merge behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Colm R wrote: »

Or, and hear me out here for a moment, we could just make the law 'don't block junctions' and we could save a lot of yellow paint all across the land

Advertisement