Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wicklow mountains charity cycle sat may 19....

• 15-05-2018 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Can anyone outline the route, I'm not looking for a map just a description.
    Presuming it's Sally gap from Manor Kilbride, then over luggala towards roundwood, then over shay Elliott and slieve maan from the laragh side?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

terrydel wrote: »
    Can anyone outline the route, I'm not looking for a map just a description.

... :D .....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

siochain wrote: »

Looks like the cycle route is in a clockwise direction? thats a lot of right hand turns :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    ... :D .....
    In next week's query: can someone please explain how to reindex my gears, expressed through the medium of mime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Presuming it's Sally gap from Manor Kilbride, then over luggala towards roundwood, then over shay Elliott and slieve maan from the laragh side?
    Going on the map, yes. :pac:
    07Lapierre wrote:
    Looks like the cycle route is in a clockwise direction? thats a lot of right hand turns
    With the prevailing wind up the N81 though, and probably no harm to get Lough Tay/ Pier Gates out of the way early given the mayhem with cars up there in recent weeks with the good weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Macy0161 wrote: »
    ... and probably no harm to get Lough Tay/ Pier Gates out of the way early given the mayhem with cars up there in recent weeks with the good weather!
    It's a squeaky bum time descent alright when busy especially with vehicles/people/loose dogs on both sides of the road at the bottom. I'd rather do it the other way around. I'd also hate to be doing that tedious Aughavanagh-Donard-Hollywood bit at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Lough Tay/ Pier Gates out of the way early given the mayhem with cars up there in recent weeks with the good weather!

The Wicklow Way Relay is on this weekend and one hand over point is there so you'll be getting glut of cars parking in that area, time depending, and again in Glenmalure.

Hurrache wrote: »
    The Wicklow Way Relay is on this weekend and one hand over point is there so you'll be getting glut of cars parking in that area, time depending, and again in Glenmalure.
    IMRA runners would have a bit more awareness than the general tourists I think/ hope!

It's safety of the runners I'd be concerned about!

Being serious though, more of a heads up really for people to be aware there may be runners popping out of places cyclists wouldn't ordinarily expect just after the viewing point.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Yo, newbie question, I take it the roads are closed for cycling races in Ireland, ie no traffic??

• Advertisement

This is not a race, unless you're asking generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    Yo, newbie question, I take it the roads are closed for cycling races in Ireland, ie no traffic??
    It's not a race.

(Roads are rarely closed for actual races).

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Do the 50 and the 100 km start in different locations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Do the 50 and the 100 km start in different locations?

Nope, both in Russborough house.

Going on the map, yes. :pac:

With the prevailing wind up the N81 though, and probably no harm to get Lough Tay/ Pier Gates out of the way early given the mayhem with cars up there in recent weeks with the good weather!

Maybe...i was thinking of it from an organisational point of view. More right hand turns means more marshals needed at each junction. Usually easier for everyone to run these events in an anti-clockwise direction.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Maybe...i was thinking of it from an organisational point of view. More right hand turns means more marshals needed at each junction. Usually easier for everyone to run these events in an anti-clockwise direction.

Its over 50 quid entry so perhaps they can afford paid marshals!

Thread title says its a Charity event?..was it run last year?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Thread title says its a Charity event?..was it run last year?

Its in its 3rd year.
    Suits me as it starts 8km from home, and I need the training hence why Im doing it.
    If the money is going to charity thats fine, otherwise its very dear.
    Cynical of any 'charity' these days, with good reason I feel.

terrydel wrote:
    Judging by the bits of the route I was on today it went on sign printing costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

It’s for saint James Hospital so it’s probably legit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

All funds raised go to the physiotherapy dept in St. James Hospital as someone who used to work in the physio dept there I think it's a very worthy cause. :) Don't know anything about the organisation etc of this as I left there 7 years ago, but assume marshals are staff volunteering rather than paid marshals.

Really enjoyed the route, it suited me perfectly, tho the climb up Slieve Maan was bloody tough into a wind!
    Nice spot for the food stop, gave a few km to warm up again for the big climbs.
    Only complaint I'd have is a bit more help with directions at some of the junctions after the the Slieve Maan descent, perhaps its cos I dont know those roads but I found myself doing a fair bit of second guessing, I didnt see another cyclist for probably 20-30km and was convinced I was lost til the last water stop. After that too I also found myself second guessing where to go. As I said, maybe a bit down to me and the lack of direction arrows to follow.
    But its a great route, great venue to start and end at, and found anyone I met along the way very friendly. Nice crowd doing it.
    3h52m for me, avg 27.5kmph.

Advertisement