Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strong Winds for Munster, Connacht and Leinster : PM 17th/AM 18th, Jan 2018

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

a video compilation from holland.

Apparently Norfolk recorded a gust of 86 mph last night.
    To be honest after watching that video i'm glad we did not get the worst of the storm. It was only 45- 55 mph gusts at its peak here, and there was still some damage done.

Also why the feck was that guy laughing in the video when he saw the lorry over turning. The driver could have been killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Apparently Norfolk recorded a gust of 86 mph last night.
    To be honest after watching that video i'm glad we did not get the worst of the storm. It was only 45- 55 mph gusts at its peak here, and there was still some damage done.

Also why the feck was that guy laughing in the video when he saw the lorry over turning. The driver could have been killed.

that looks terrifying, the one with all the roof tiles falling off the roof and the owner just looking out the window in despair. Sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sitting in front of the fire - I was trying to think what was missing. Then it hit me that that for the first time in nearly a week there is an absence of the noise of howling winds. Don't know how I'll get off to sleep at all I've become so habituated ..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

A woman and her baby had a lucky escape from a falling tree in the Netherlands yesterday.
    But the hell was she doing out in that weather in the first place with a baby.

https://itnproductions.com/news/video-hair-raising-escape-for-mum-and-baby-during-deadly-storm?type=editorial

• Registered Users Posts: 37 burren

lolie wrote: »
    A woman and her baby had a lucky escape from a falling tree in the Netherlands yesterday.
    But the hell was she doing out in that weather in the first place with a baby.

https://itnproductions.com/news/video-hair-raising-escape-for-mum-and-baby-during-deadly-storm?type=editorial
    Don't think you can blame her too much for being out in this weather. This is in Horst in Limburg in the south of The Netherlands. Initially only yellow warning on Wednesday and later on Thursday morning upgraded to orange warning. Red warning was never issued for Limburg. As I mentioned earlier in the thread the red alert was only raised Thursday morning for central parts of The Netherlands when the storm was already well underway (9:20 am local time). So most people were ill prepared and not expecting a wind event of this magnitude (with gusts up to 120km/h in Limburg). Some inland weather stations measured strongest gusts in decades and this storm is making it into top 10 of most severe wind storms ever recorded in The Netherlands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Has that Ch4 Weather forecaster eaten humble pie yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

burren wrote: »
    Don't think you can blame her too much for being out in this weather. This is in Horst in Limburg in the south of The Netherlands. Initially only yellow warning on Wednesday and later on Thursday morning upgraded to orange warning. Red warning was never issued for Limburg. As I mentioned earlier in the thread the red alert was only raised Thursday morning for central parts of The Netherlands when the storm was already well underway (9:20 am local time). So most people were ill prepared and not expecting a wind event of this magnitude (with gusts up to 120km/h in Limburg). Some inland weather stations measured strongest gusts in decades and this storm is making it into top 10 of most severe wind storms ever recorded in The Netherlands.

Is there not such a thing as looking out the window and thinking "oh fcuk is windy, maybe I shouldn't bring my vunerable baby out into this weather?"
    Calibos wrote: »

Why would he?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Folllowing on from the depression that passed over us on the night of the 17th into the early hours of the 18th and deepened into a storm that made it's way across Holland,Belgum and Germany .

https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/status/954283074002587648

Folllowing on from the depression that passed over us on the night of the 17th into the early hours of the 18th and deepened into a storm that made it's way across Holland,Belgum and Germany .

https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/status/954283074002587648

we got very lucky with what we had then, if that hit here serious damage and deaths would have most likely occured.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 burren

JCX BXC wrote: »
    burren wrote: »

Is there not such a thing as looking out the window and thinking "oh fcuk is windy, maybe I shouldn't bring my vunerable baby out into this weather?"
    Like I said a lot of people were surprised by this storm. The weather was fine and just a touch windy when she left her home earlier that morning. She had an appointment for a new passport and went shopping afterwards. She was on the way back to the car when the tree almost hit her (source). Very very lucky woman and baby. Longer video with interview is here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well i hope those who were complaining about the warnings and action taken by state services prior to Storm Ophelia, think long and hard about their attitude after seeing the video of what happened in Holland. If their mentality had been adopted we would have been dealing with far more fatalies than we had.

Well i hope those who were complaining about the warnings and action taken by state services prior to Storm Ophelia, think long and hard about their attitude after seeing the video of what happened in Holland. If their mentality had been adopted we would have been dealing with far more fatalies than we had.

sadly no, i just read comments from a poll on 'The Journal' and the majority are complaining about all the weather alerts we get yet are wondering in the post about the storms and deaths 'why didnt they listen to the warnings?!?'. So eh, win some and lose some

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Calibos wrote: »

From Netweather forecaster Jo Farrow
    To name a storm, there has to be an Amber warning and this usually related to strong winds but can relate to rainfall or snow. Met Eireann don't use the impact based warning system and look at numerical criteria.

Today they named #StormFionn showing collaborations can be tricky. There is no mention on @MetEireann twitter feed of #StormFionn. The naming was supposed to help identify specific severe weather events, and communicate the messages to the public better. Now we have a potentially nasty looking Atlantic storm developing ready to hit the UK on Wednesday night, and Fionn which isn't really showing on the pressure charts. Already people are getting confused about the storm for Tuesday night- Fionn and the message for the Weds night low/storm could be lost.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8681-snow-ice-amber-yellow-warnings-storm-fionn-before-the-midweek-low-the-next-storm

And Liam Dutton has been putting the point across that the big storm on Wednesday wasn't Fionn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Dutton's argument (repeated by Farrow above) made little to no sense - on one hand he was saying that Met Eireann should switch to an impact-based warning level system (which is a fine idea on its own, ignoring the fact that ME are already planning to look into this apparently), on the other that it shouldn't be a storm unless it shows up as a recognisable system on the pressure charts.

Which is it?

As that tweet above points out, there's been plenty of storms in the past that caused significant impact without "looking like" storms.

Advertisement