Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pearse is Ireland's Best Station

Options
  • 04-09-2017 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

Just came across this yesterday in CIE's Go Rail Rag Mag.

God knows I tried to give Broombridge a boost - voted a good many times for it - but it didn't get a look in. :D

Best%2BStation.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

The smell of fresh donuts would lighten the mood of any weary traveller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

That's on rail!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's the leaky roof that does it for me - nothing like standing indoors and getting rained on. Also the filthy toilets with the taps that soak you like a firehose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I really like the atmosphere in Pearse, and the layout and facilities. It's easily the most well rounded station. Nice big platforms, plenty of seating.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

I like Pearse too, I regularly had to change there for a Dart to a Leinster Game. I didn't notice the last time I was there but has the roof been refurbished like it was supposed to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

McAlban wrote: »
    I like Pearse too, I regularly had to change there for a Dart to a Leinster Game. I didn't notice the last time I was there but has the roof been refurbished like it was supposed to be?

No it hasn't, they have nets underneath to catch falling debris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

The fact the Carlow Train Staion is on the list suggests that is a piss take, carlow station is one of the worst around

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

votecounts wrote: »
    The fact the Carlow Train Staion is on the list suggests that is a piss take, carlow station is one of the worst around

Besides lacking a modern lift/footbridge whats the problem with it?

loyatemu wrote: »
    No it hasn't, they have nets underneath to catch falling debris.

Actually I'd say that's more to do with preventing Swallows and pigeons nesting in there and deficating all over unsuspecting commuters.

Its a shame other stations, in Britain, have embraced the victorian architecture and restored it beautifully. But I suppose when you look at Sligo you see what IE think of their architectural heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Actually I'd say that's more to do with preventing Swallows and pigeons nesting in there and deficating all over unsuspecting commuters.

Its a shame other stations, in Britain, have embraced the victorian architecture and restored it beautifully. But I suppose when you look at Sligo you see what IE think of their architectural heritage.

CIE have no regard for their architectural heritage despite having a heritage officer. Next time you're in Connolly have a look at the watertower and turntable adjacent to Platform.7. - not even worthy of a coat of paint. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

A piano will be permanently installed in Pearse Station from Thursday for commuters to play while waiting for their train.

http://www.thejournal.ie/a-piano-is-being-permanently-installed-in-pearse-station-3582638-Sep2017/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Seen that in a few stations in Europe most notably Gare du Nord in Paris, can create quite a relaxing feeling during stressful commute times if the piano players are any good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

Besides lacking a modern lift/footbridge whats the problem with it?
    Disgusting toilets, cranky staff and a shop that doesn't open. I use the station regularly for the commute to dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

All we need now is Gerry Lee Lewis as an intending DART passenger and rock that piano out of it - Great balls of fire - good old CIE - full of surprises :D

Del.Monte wrote: »
    CIE have no regard for their architectural heritage despite having a heritage officer. Next time you're in Connolly have a look at the watertower and turntable adjacent to Platform.7. - not even worthy of a coat of paint. :rolleyes:

I'm well used to the "Post Apocalyptic" look of Connolly. Let it Rot, Rip it up. The Mantra of CIE for time immemorial.

You've got to love CIE - now they are installing a piano in Pearse Station. Can't get rid of the pigeons but they can get a piano. Typical lazy piece about it on RTE.1 News this morning by Ashling Kehoe - starts off by referring to Pearse Street Station.....Grrrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

You've got to love CIE - now they are installing a piano in Pearse Station. Can't get rid of the pigeons but they can get a piano. Typical lazy piece about it on RTE.1 News this morning by Ashling Kehoe - starts off by referring to Pearse Street Station.....Grrrr!

You mean Connolly Street Station isn't on Connolly Street?! *gasp*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

CIE have no regard for their architectural heritage despite having a heritage officer

Had. Past tense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭plodder

devnull wrote: »
    Seen that in a few stations in Europe most notably Gare du Nord in Paris, can create quite a relaxing feeling during stressful commute times if the piano players are any good!
    As noted on the RTE report this morning, the acoustics of these big covered stations can be quite good. It's years since I've been in the place, but I think it's a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I didn't notice the last time I was there but has the roof been refurbished like it was supposed to be?

Only 3 weeks ago the board of CIE allocated €0.3M to the design and planning stage of the roof restoration project, a tender for full restoration is to issue in the coming months with work scheduled to start Q2 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Delays northbound with large crowds gathering on the platform.

But whoever is belting out tunes on that piano makes it all worthwhile. People seem to be enjoying it.

Had. Past tense.

Is he really gone? I'll be going for a pint to celebrate. :D

GM228 wrote: »
    Only 3 weeks ago the board of CIE allocated €0.3M to the design and planning stage of the roof restoration project, a tender for full restoration is to issue in the coming months with work scheduled to start Q2 2018.

All they need now is Connolly, Cork, Galway and Limerick to fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Just like St Pancras, international railway gateway from a capital city.

Oh wait...

westmorelandstq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Is he really gone? I'll be going for a pint to celebrate. :D

You're a bit late for the party.

You're a bit late for the party.

And who may one ask is his replacement - hopefully not another turbulent priest.

According to this http://www.cie.ie/company-profile-(2)/heritage CIE are steaming ahead with their plans for a 'working museum' or is this just another out of date idea from a company well past its sell by date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's the leaky roof that does it for me - nothing like standing indoors and getting rained on. Also the filthy toilets with the taps that soak you like a firehose.

They could use the toilets in Pearse as a set for trainspotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

GM228 wrote: »
    I didn't notice the last time I was there but has the roof been refurbished like it was supposed to be?

About bloody time that roof is a disaster and has been for a long time. Damn thing shouldve been fixed up years ago its falling apart nowadays from the lack of repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

AngryLips wrote: »
    I really like the atmosphere in Pearse, and the layout and facilities. It's easily the most well rounded station. Nice big platforms, plenty of seating.

As the Dublin stations go I find it the most preferable, its compact size makes it far more preferable than Connolly which involves a whole lot of walking to get a commuter train. And the new AMT plus the Donuts is a positive for it.

Toilets need an upgrade although that's the case across most stations I've come across on the network.

As for architectural heritage I do feel 10-15 years ago stations were maintained better in terms of keeping on top of painting and adding a few flower baskets than they've been since the financial crisis where I'm sure "frivolous" expenditure has gotten the chop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Is there any scheduled completion date for the new roof at Pearse or will that be included in the tender?

Advertisement